Game-Labs Forum

What is the point of gold & silver coins? Let us melt them down.

So I was just looking over what is needed to craft the first rates and it seems coins are no longer necessary.  Other than selling to the NPCs, do they have any other purpose?  How about letting us melt them down into ingots?  

Maybe do the same thing with cannons, all I seem to get off NPCs are 6lb mediums.  Maybe melt them down for iron ore/ingots.

• Like 2

I support the melting down option, even if it needed coal or charcoal. Coins are needed in a tiny number of craftable upgrades, The most that is needed is 5, so their best use right now is to be sold to the shop.

6lb mediums are sellable commodities. Many players would be pleased for you to undercut the shop price with a sell contract, and I've just crafted some for exactly that purpose.

Edited by Remus

I know many of the refits need them (silver coins at least).  Though I would love a break down option for some mats so I can just break them down if I'm not going to use them.  I have only used silver coins for refits, but have yet to find a use for the gold coins.

15 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I know many of the refits need them (silver coins at least).  Though I would love a break down option for some mats so I can just break them down if I'm not going to use them.  I have only used silver coins for refits, but have yet to find a use for the gold coins.

Here's the full list:

• British Gunnery Sergeant needs 5 Gold Coins
  • Elite British Rig Refit needs 3Silver Coins
  • Elite Pirate Rig Refit needs 3 Silver Coins
  • Nassau Boarders need 5 Slver Coins
  • Northern Carpenters need 5 Silver Coins
  • Northern Master Carpenters need 5 Gold Coins

Incidentally, I've changed my stance. Let's treat gold and silver coins like tobacco. Although they can be crafted their main purpose is loot so let's just regard them as such, and keep gold and silver rare(-ish).