Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.2 - Changes to mission, crafting, ROE and other fixes

admin

Just now, Powderhorn said:

Mast thickness might have been buffed too much.  Surprise can only be dismasted (lower section) at 50m by 32lb carronades, 12lb longs, or 24lb mediums, for example.

Okay, that's just a sick, sick joke... So from too easy dismasting, to there not even being a point in aiming at the masts unless shooting at the tops only...

2 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Mast thickness might have been buffed too much.  Surprise can only be dismasted (lower section) at 50m by 32lb carronades, 12lb longs, or 24lb mediums, for example.

My Mahogany Essex with the french rig now has 128.8 in thickness on masts try demasting that. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I saw those battles mate. 4 ships just shooting at masts from start to finish like drones.. like @dron441.. no other tactics.
Some regional language forums even given the unofficial new name "Mast Action"

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

LGV doesn't have stern guns so easy to camp.  Now try that with a trader snow tanked out with all guns and still able to carry cargo and see how long your basic cutter last.  I'm going to bet not to long at all against most players.  

So now the LGV is pretty much the only trader without rear guns (Lynx being the other one) so is it going to get some chasers on the stern too?

Rest your mind there, mate, Tbrig with all guns loaded has 22.7 cargo left. It's one or the other, by the looks of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I saw those battles mate. 4 ships just shooting at masts from start to finish like drones.. like @dron441.. no other tactics.

Maybe HP should have been buffed instead of thickness?  Thickness just means "impossible."  HP means "more shots invested."

I think masts should be a viable option, just not the only option.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, William Drayman said:

Rest your mind there, mate, Tbrig with all guns loaded has 22.7 cargo left. It's one or the other, by the looks of it.

erm... you mean guns take 22.7 cargo?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Powderhorn said:

Maybe HP should have been buffed instead of thickness?  Thickness just means "impossible."  HP means "more shots invested."

I think masts should be a viable option, just not the only option.

it is the viable option. shoot at mid and top sections. Lower sections only from powerful guns at close range. HP does not solve the problem - because people will just shoot the masts again - it will just take longer.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, admin said:

it is the viable option. shoot at mid and top sections. Lower sections only from powerful guns at close range. HP does not solve the problem - because people will just shoot the masts again - it will just take longer.

For the 367,285th time, the only solution is to tie lower mast HP to broadside HP.

Suddenly it's not a zero-sum game of masts vs hull if total dismasting requires damaging the hull first. (>50% hull damage = mast HP and thickness / 2)

Otherwise these oscillations in mast HP will go on forever because quite simply, there is no sweet spot. 

Mast armor class is a bad feature. Masts never should have become invulnerable to damage until at least 500 yards.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

LGV doesn't have stern guns so easy to camp.  Now try that with a trader snow tanked out with all guns and still able to carry cargo and see how long your basic cutter last.  I'm going to bet not to long at all against most players.  

So now the LGV is pretty much the only trader without rear guns (Lynx being the other one) so is it going to get some chasers on the stern too?

And ruin the Captains Stateroom?!?!?! :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

Loot tables updated and npc combat ships will drop rare refits and admiralty skillbooks (previously only available for pvp marks)

Are there any plans in the works to allow for people who are PvPing to get some of the rare skillbooks?  Right now, some are available in the store (not all), and the others are only available through PvE.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maturin said:

For the 367,285th time, the only solution is to tie lower mast HP to broadside HP.

Suddenly it's not a zero-sum game of masts vs hull if total dismasting requires damaging the hull first. (>50% hull damage = mast HP and thickness / 2)

Otherwise these oscillations in mast HP will go on forever because quite simply, there is no sweet spot. 

Mast armor class is a bad feature. Masts never should have become invulnerable to damage until at least 500 yards.

i see this post first time :). But.. if you don't have mast thickness, then you are still doomed against 1v2. Which you could theoretically win 

• Like 4

Demasting:

We are now back to having steel masts and demasting not being a viable tactic.

Why do we go from 1 extreme to another every time?

Pls revert the mast thickness but increase mast hp by 50%. Then if demasting is still OP you can buff it another 20% or so. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, admin said:
  • Labor hour costs of repair rig materials became lower

I read this as Rig Repairs LH cost becoming lower, which is an odd choice when Hull Repairs are far worse, but I might have misunderstood it. I'll have worked my way through the API in a few hours and see what you've actually done to econ.

From a crafter's point of view, I'm a little disappointed by traders getting slower and the reduction in invisibility time, have no particular interest in carrying guns (but I'll look into it - I'm often transporting guns to market anyway - and I do like your 'baiting unprepared privateers' :D). I'm pleased by the longer (it is longer, isn't it?) delay to tagging when leaving battle.

The furnishings change makes sense too, but I bet it won't put an end to players complaining about silver and gold distribution. 6 PvE Marks per furnishing (assuming you still get 50) might be a little high though.

I cannot work out what 'Lower caliber guns costs were reduced' means. Have you reduced crafting requirements or the NPC price in the shop (or both)? Either is probably a good change and I'll find out soon enough.

On the whole, all good stuff which I'm happy to try.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, admin said:

It's a good indicator when your average player is suddenly only focusing on masts then something went wrong somewhere but your volatile revenge nerfs make it look like you don't quite anticipate things that could potentially happen before you implement them up to the point that it's getting quite entertaining from sidelines :)

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Is there anyway to see the loot tables of npc? is this something that the API would reveal?

Loot tables are in the API, in the ItemTemplates file. I haven't tried parsing them since the wipe (and doubt I'll bother with it this time) and don't know if they are accurate or complete, but you could take a look. Search for MegaChaka.Services.Items.ShipLootTableItemTemplate

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kaos said:

It's a good indicator when your average player is suddenly only focusing on masts then something went wrong somewhere but your volatile revenge nerfs make it look like you don't quite anticipate things that could potentially happen before you implement them up to the point that it's getting quite entertaining from sidelines :)

rakers gonna rake

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

Demasting:

We are now back to having steel masts and demasting not being a viable tactic.

Why do we go from 1 extreme to another every time?

Pls revert the mast thickness but increase mast hp by 50%. Then if demasting is still OP you can buff it another 20% or so. 

shoot the glass  - with grape 

1 minute ago, TommyShelby said:

What? Sorry i don't understand :)

everybody was mast shooting in most pvp fights. we don't want that in our game. Other tactics should be valid as well. For example stern raking (instead of mast shooting)

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, admin said:

1 week ago you said on the  Russian  Forum that breaking masts is OK. You also said that all battles in the "Age of sail" are finished with broken masts. Now you say  that this   is Mast Action and this need of rebalance. I have only 1 question. Are you changing all settings with your mood? Today I want masts thickness - 150 , but tommorow- 70. Am I right ?

Sorry for my English :(

• Like 3

Just now, admin said:

everybody was mast shooting in most pvp fights. we don't want that in our game. Other tactics should be valid as well. For example stern raking (instead of mast shooting)

I agree 100%. Every tactic should be valid and viable.

However now demasting is, once more, not valid/viable.

If you keep going from one extreme to the other we will never reach a balance. That is why I suggest to do smaller steps :)