Game-Labs Forum

USS United States

I would love to be able to sail this gallant old frigate.

The United States was one of the original six American forty-four gun heavy frigates and she normally carried 50 guns and had quite a combat record.

She captured two French privateers, Sans Pareil and Jalouse, sunk the L'Amour de la Patrie; freed the English ship Cicero from the French privateer Democrat (who escaped to shallow waters); took the French privateer La Tartueffe and its prize, the American ship Vermontcaptured the Le Bonaparte; she captured several merchants including the Mandarin; under the command of Captain Stephen Decatur, she famously engaged and battered the 38 gun HMS Macedonian inflicting 112 casualties and taking 12, forcing it to surrender; discovered an uncharted island off Peru, raced and beat a French sloop  

Quotes on the United States
"USS United States
 was a wooden-hulled, three-masted heavy frigate of the United States Navy and the first of the six original frigates authorized for construction by the Naval Act of 1794Joshua Humphreys designed the frigates to be the young Navy's capital ships, and so United States and her sisters were larger and more heavily armed and built than standard frigates of the period."

"United States '​s nominal rating was that of a 44-gun ship. However, she usually carried over 50 guns.[20] United States was originally armed with a battery of 55 guns: thirty-two 24-pounder (10.9 kg) cannon; twenty-two 42-pounder (19 kg) carronades; and one 18-pounder (8 kg) long gun."

"The design incorporated a diagonal scantling (rib) scheme to limit hogging while giving the ships extremely heavy planking. This gave the hull greater strength than those of more lightly built frigates. Humphreys developed his design after realizing that the fledgling United States could not match the navy sizes of the European states. He therefore designed his frigates to be able to overpower other frigates, but with the speed to escape from a ship of the line"

la0012.jpg100_2869.JPG

91QVOt2BmpL._SL1500_.jpg

US_Navy_031020-O-0000X-001_Period_engrav

• Like 1

I would love to be able to sail this gallant old frigate.

The United States was one of the original six American forty-four gun heavy frigates and she normally carried 50 guns and had quite a combat record.

She captured two French privateers, Sans Pareil and Jalouse, sunk the L'Amour de la Patrie; freed the English ship Cicero from the French privateer Democrat (who escaped to shallow waters); took the French privateer La Tartueffe and its prize, the American ship Vermontcaptured the Le Bonaparte; she captured several merchants including the Mandarin; under the command of Captain Stephen Decatur, she famously engaged and battered the 38 gun HMS Macedonian inflicting 112 casualties and taking 12, forcing it to surrender; discovered an uncharted island off Peru, raced and beat a French sloop  

Quotes on the United States

"USS United States 

we are thinking about a crowdfunded US ship pack 

• Like 6

So only one vessel of each type for each nation in the game? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not saying we should have that -- it just seems a bit redundant to have multiple ships of the exact same class, especially considering that in the future we will have the ability to name our ships -- in light of that it seems a bit pointless doesn't it? I could understand Congress or Constellation -- they are of a separate class -- what is the point of having redundant ships?

Because a ships class relationship to another ship has no bearing on whether it is has a unique record, is famous or both. 

But you do realise that they are not actual ships so as is said above having the same ships with a different name makes no sense.

The two ships were in the same class.  That is, identical specifications, dimensions, armament, etc.  As such, to bring it into the game would mean simply remodeling the stern to show a different name but for all intents and purposes you have two of the same ship.  Not a bad thing in and of itself.  However, man hours better spent on new ship types/classes or the open world prototype.  I think that's what Gautrek was getting at.

I'm alright with either case to be honest.  But would rather see the gap between brig and heavy corvette bridged as well as seeing 4th and 2nd rates.  Then we can add multiple models within the individual classes as well as merchantmen and indiamen.

• Like 1

NorthernWolves is just giving his opinion and desires. Of course USS United States is an emblematic and, of course, beautiful ship. I think you will see it and sail it in Naval Action sooner or later, so don't worry. But, as we can extract from the lines which many users have written, there are priorities in the first steps of this simulator. 

Anyway, NorthernWolves is just simply sharing his desires as I said above with all of us. No need to say there is no sense or understanding to place two ships of the same class in the sim (same class but I think there MUST be some differences on performance, no matter how smaller they are). Perhaps currently we don't need it yet, but of course later.

we are saying allready most of the time that its not needed right now because we have to fill the gape in the current line and i think we can all agree that having the rattlesnake or other shipclass from the USA would be more desireable than another 44gun currently

• 4 weeks later...

we are thinking about a crowdfunded US ship pack 

Has anything happened with this???

If I can have some more beautiful American Ships... PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY!  :D  

Seriously though, I know I'm not the only one who would pay $5-10 for an American Ship Pack.  Maybe it could be like a Pre-order DLC?

So this would be like the T-34-85M in WoT? I could just earn the same thing with a different name in game, or pay for the US pack and get it?

If anything, I could see this as being an "option" for the class of super-frigates, since the stern does look different. It'd just be cosmetic, but you'd get a choice, and then you could name it whatever you'd like (hopefully the devs will have a way to have the name show or something).

Did you just ask me if I realize that the USS Constitution and the USS United States are not ships? 

No, what we're saying is that the Constitution Class ship is already in the game.  The only difference between USS United States and USS Constitution would be the name written on the back of the ship.

All you need to do is wait for the game to let us name your ship yourself, and have that show up on the stern.

No, what we're saying is that the Constitution Class ship is already in the game.  The only difference between USS United States and USS Constitution would be the name written on the back of the ship.

All you need to do is wait for the game to let us name your ship yourself, and have that show up on the stern.

Not exactly. Several people have commented that the United States and Constitution have the same armament, but this is incorrect.  United States carried 42 lb carronades, 16 on the quarterdeck and 8 on the foc'stle, whereas the Constitution carried 12 and 18 lb long guns on her spar deck as initially armed and subsequently was rearmed with 20 x 32 lb carronades. When combined with the 24 lb main battery the United States threw a broadside of 888 lbs and the Constitution initially threw a 588 lbs broadside, which increased to 704 lbs in the War of 1812. So not an insignificant difference. The United States was also known as a sluggish sailor, perhaps because of the extra weight carried on her top deck.

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=2427

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=2402

Having noted this, and obviously being new to the game, I would agree with the opinion that we want to see as many different classes and types of ships available before bringing in distinctions within a class of ships.

Robert's got it. But there are gamers who will still optimize their loadouts. Constitution had 32lb carronades and 24 lb guns...yet to my best knowledge, a pure 18lb longs is the best for damage dealing, and when you do that, you lose a little of what makes a certain ship THAT specific ship..but gain the ability to make it your own. Like a pure 6lb long Victory? Yea, seems legit.

Not exactly. Several people have commented that the United States and Constitution have the same armament, but this is incorrect.  United States carried 42 lb carronades, 16 on the quarterdeck and 8 on the foc'stle, whereas the Constitution carried 12 and 18 lb long guns on her spar deck as initially armed and subsequently was rearmed with 20 x 32 lb carronades. When combined with the 24 lb main battery the United States threw a broadside of 888 lbs and the Constitution initially threw a 588 lbs broadside, which increased to 704 lbs in the War of 1812. So not an insignificant difference. The United States was also known as a sluggish sailor, perhaps because of the extra weight carried on her top deck.

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=2427

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=2402

Having noted this, and obviously being new to the game, I would agree with the opinion that we want to see as many different classes and types of ships available before bringing in distinctions within a class of ships.

I'm talking about a 3D ship model that would have to be made.  In this case there is no reason to do so.  There already is a 3D model, so there isn't much of a reason to ask for another ship to be added, the USS President.

As for the armament, that is a different mater, and probably best asked in the Suggestions forum.

1.  A new feature to rename your ship, preferably having it show up on the stern as well.

2.  A new feature to re-arm your ship, which I understand is partially in the game already.  I assume people would also like to see the cannon 3D models on their ship change if you swap out the visible deck guns from small caliber, long barreled cannons for large caliber, short barreled carronades as well.

But as for a new ship model to be added to Naval Action, then I say don't bother.  USS Constitution is good enough for that role.

• Like 1