Game-Labs Forum

Basic cutter vs AI LGV competition

3 hours ago, Zooloo said:

I did give it a try, using surcouff's tactics !

Great video @Zooloo, this reminds me of Capt. Aubrey's capture of the Spanish Cacafuego Xebec-Frigate. The Cacafuego was taller than Aubrey's ship who got very close to her, which made the Cacafuego unable to lower her guns low enough to fire at Aubrey's ship!

Awesome tactics there.

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

Great video @Zooloo, this reminds me of Capt. Aubrey's capture of the Spanish Cacafuego Xebec-Frigate. The Cacafuego was taller than Aubrey's ship who got very close to her, which made the Cacafuego unable to lower her guns low enough to fire at Aubrey's ship!

Awesome tactics there.

Thank you ! Got to read those books... Asked for one @ Xmas but i got Blacksails DVDs instead... Well was good aswell !

Edited by Zooloo
  • Like 1

@admin

Do we have to upload the video to youtube or can I upload the file to Mega?

Is Vimeo ok?

I don't have a youtube account.

Is the Santa Cecilia for the 3 first videos in this post or the 3 fastest doing the mission?

Edited by _Alucard_

51 minutes ago, Borch said:

I'm pretty sure that originally it was posted as 3 fastest players to post video will win and there was no mention of end term in monday neither uploading videos on FB so I left my post to point out how not very well thought this was.

Anyway, would be nice to try but I'm not going to learn recording specially for that competition :)

You read it too quickly (and it hasn't been edited since then, so nothing has changed as far as the terms).

You have until next Monday the 19th to post a video, and the top 3 entries will be ranked by how quickly they can sink/capture the LGV. It has nothing to do with how quickly you post the video.

I used Nvidia Shadowplay to capture the video, then Lightworks (free software) to lightly edit and compress to H.264 format for upload to Youtube. It was all very easy to do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

Another question for @admin.

4pd basic cannons only or are we allowed to use whatever cannons we want? 

I ask because it is not specified so I've been using 6pd longs.

all cannons are allowed

• Like 5

On 6/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, Sansón Carrasco said:

I'd like to also confirm what I suspect is one of Admin's unstated motives in posting this challenge: to show that an AI LGV can be a very lucrative source of revenue for a low level captain. It takes hardly any more effort or time to cap one than to grind a Cutter in a Mission, but the payoff is much better - especially the loot!

I started today with very little in the bank and after a few tries (trying to get the best time I could), I'm now $150k richer. If a mediocre captain like I can do it, anyone can :)

You inspire me, sir!

On 2017-6-12 at 11:05 PM, _Alucard_ said:

@admin

Do we have to upload the video to youtube or can I upload the file to Mega?

Is Vimeo ok?

I don't have a youtube account.

Is the Santa Cecilia for the 3 first videos in this post or the 3 fastest doing the mission?

@admin  Why didn't you answer my questions?

Can you answer, please?

13 minutes ago, _Alucard_ said:

@admin  Why didn't you answer my questions?

Can you answer, please?

Admin said in the original post that it is the three fastest times.

No idea about vimeo, but it's really easy to make a youtube account.

This is my attempt. A fellow Spaniard entered the battle, but I asked him to leave and so he did without firing into the Legross.

I messed the boarding because we were talking in our TS and that almost cost me the victory :D

Anyway, 16,33 took me, I might try it again with more powerful cannons (this attempt was with basic canons)

Edited by _Alucard_
  • Like 2

I don't have a competitive time yet, I tend to botch stopping the ship to board, but do have this rake which surprised me and caught me off guard.  Max I had got earlier was between 31-38 I think.

This was followed up with several lousy rakes of 0 or few kills and I botched stopping the ship for boarding once I got him down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, manuva85 said:

Use surgeon(repair crew) just  before boarding.:P

He boards at 13:40, mutual losses occur until 15:06 at which point the LGV posts negative kills & Liquicity's crew increases. I understand your response, but the crew gains are from the other ship, not recovery.

8 minutes ago, EaseDale said:

He boards at 13:40, mutual losses occur until 15:06 at which point the LGV posts negative kills & Liquicity's crew increases. I understand your response, but the crew gains are from the other ship, not recovery.

Nope, crew gains are due to using the surgeon. It doesnt show up when you press 5 - 3 during boarding, but still works. Go try it yourself instead of calling cheats.

9 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Nope, crew gains are due to using the surgeon. It doesnt show up when you press 5 - 3 during boarding, but still works. Go try it yourself instead of calling cheats.

So sorry, didn't mean to imply cheating whatsoever. Just couldn't figure the negative kills on the other ship and didn't know you could recover during boarding combat. Thank you for the explained.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, rediii said:

He is right.

Can you actually press 5 and 4 while in boarding to use rum? That would be a huge mistake if that's possible.

5-4 is urgent repair, 5-3 is surgeon

Dunno but I couls imagine during a boarding engagement the wounded crew would try to fall back and get a quick treatment or something, same as when you're getting shot from multiple sides and/or raked, the wounded crew would fall Back

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

That makes no sense.  It would be like saying you cant have a surgeon while your guns have men on them.   

And to get the negative is press 5-3 before you hit G.  And it will heal your crew during the fight.

It's more like saying, you can't do surgery while your men are on the guns.

But I get what you're saying, I'm just thinking of more arbitrary hoops and rings for players to jump through instead of playing a game.  In the end, it's this constant fiddling with numbers and sliders that will really kill the game.  Spinning wheels.