Game-Labs Forum

@admin

I suggest bringing Ship durabilities back, but somewhat modified.

Since there are 3 types of Port Battles i suggest the following:

Unranked, 7th and 6th rate ships:           3 Ship Durability

5th and 4th rate ships.                            2 Ship Durability

2nd and 1st rate ships:                           1 Ship Durability

That way, on lower levels, the loss of a ship is not quite as harsh and unforgiving.

It would be more forgiving to new players, and keep them in the game longer.

Also, i might suggest the loss of a percentage of the cannons, disabled during battle, say 25-30% of the cannons (barrels get damaged, carriages get shot to splinters).

• Like 1

No, no more super mario lives please...

37 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I have to disagree, the 1 durability system is fine.   Here is my problems with the multi-dura system.

1- It leads to multiple single durability copies of the same ship if someone captures it.   Which is akin to duping to me.

2- it reduces the value of a capture, not like I can sale a 1 dura trader brig that I capped, it is worthless.

3- Why should you as the defeated keep your ship?  It was sunk due to your incompetence or failure as a captain, you should pay for that failure. 

4- Ships are cheap to replace, cannons arent, with multi-durability ships you are now duping cannons cheaply.  

This is my issues with the whole multi- durability ships.

Edited by Captain Lust
  • Like 3

Youre missing that a 2 dura ship would cost twice as much, unless youre changing balancing aswell, but thats a different talk. So nothing would change, just the access to ships would be more difficult, cause i always need to buy two ships at once.

We can discuss about ship cost balancing, but thats hard to tell just 2 weeks after wipe.

Edited by Fargo

No no and no!

What alot of people are forgetting is we are only two weeks in! I actually like one dura ships. (I love the ships with 500k worth of upgrades on) if in battle I take too much damage I'll protect my ship. Instead of throwing it away as hey 3 dura left.

Also stealing ships is fun again. 

I love capturing ships then retrofitting them as fireships, and attacking bigger ships in game.

• Like 2

10.0 was the fist patch that make captured ship worth to use. Before that only Sols were worth capturing.

Now you can make money with captured ships by selling them to your nation. That supports and opened up a new perspective that was understimated before. Privateering got real.

• Like 4

please do not bring back durability, this is a bad idea. The devs made a good decision and  i hope they dont change it again. durability makes this game more like an arcade game while single durability for all moves it in the direction of a sim. most people playing i believe want a sailing SIM not an arcade game.

• Like 4

On 12/6/2017 at 0:59 PM, Guruthos said:

if a ship is sunk or captured the ship is simply gone. thats how it should be and i like it. please don't change it.

In a realistic sence of thigs this might be true. But in a gameplay way of things thats bad. Its not possible to take any chances when a ship cost you like 2 weeks of gameplay. that means that on PvP server things are out of balance. Either you play hard-core and make NA a part time job or you dont play at all. Most players take solution 2 becourse they are adutls with jobs, wifes and kids to take care of.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fox2run said:

In a realistic sence of thigs this might be true. But in a gameplay way of things thats bad. Its not possible to take any chances when a ship cost you like 2 weeks of gameplay. that means that on PvP server things are out of balance. Either you play hard-core and make NA a part time job or you dont play at all. Most players take solution 2 becourse they are adutls with jobs, wifes and kids to take care of.

2 weeks ... not really ... ok i played alot yesterday ... around 4 hours. i am working aswell full time. still within this time i could make around 300.000 in 5th rate fleet missions in group. so even if you say u just have time for 1 hour a day it makes 7 hours a week. that would mean 525.000 so already 5th-4th rate inculding the canons.  yeah ok pve grinding is maybe not for everyone. trading rewards you with even more gold per hour. and really good players can even make way more then i did with pve grinding.

11 minutes ago, Rickard said:

no Durabilities is not a flaw and actually helps the game out even more. 

True, but the durabilities is not why population is bleeding away again.

Flawed gameplay is causing that, and that does need fixing.

Having lost 2 ships today ( still laughing my bottom out of it ) I feel that the 1 dura is perfect.

One I lost to a uncontrollable fire. It kept growing as I was continuously shot. It never went into shock but ate through the structure. 

The other was a total lack of attention on my part on crew management coming out of a raid and a fleet recaptured the prize while I left only 2 crew in my schoon. I surrendered not to make anyone lose time.

Was a solid setback but nothing breaking. Not giving a step longer than me legs and both ships have been replaced with the reserve funds. Now I just need to make sure they don't go down any soon even if it means I have to escape with grace from a undecided situation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Having lost 2 ships today ( still laughing my bottom out of it ) I feel that the 1 dura is perfect.

One I lost to a uncontrollable fire. It kept growing as I was continuously shot. It never went into shock but ate through the structure. 

i wonder what is your view on it

• Like 2

On the fire I feel it is okay. The spread can be felt and the urgency feeling of getting out of combat is there. The catastrophic fires don't happen so often, it is a one in a hundred for sure. I like it.

It is of note that it wasn't a 1v1 battle, was a 1v3 and as I burnt the enemy kept shooting from crossfire so pretty the remnant structure suffered immensely, IIRC I still had more than half, maybe 2/3 of the bar. I did sink before it ran entirely out.

If it matters the ship was a Niagara made out of Teak, bought at store.

42 minutes ago, Rickard said:

are you still sailing past Willemstad with your pickle and lynx?

Messed up a catch on your brethren using the Pickle aye, was the one I surrendered. Caught the trader pants down but was greeted with coast guard. Forgot that I had transferred all the crew to the prize and didn't manage any to the pickle when back to the OW.

As I said to KM - HMS Huntsman ( sorry if I mistake the correct name ), costly mistake :) Good NA moment with a successful raid and successful recapture.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

The other was a total lack of attention on my part on crew management coming out of a raid and a fleet recaptured the prize while I left only 2 crew in my schoon. I surrendered not to make anyone lose time.

Was a solid setback but nothing breaking. Not giving a step longer than me legs and both ships have been replaced with the reserve funds. Now I just need to make sure they don't go down any soon even if it means I have to escape with grace from a undecided situation.

Since patch and we are going on what week 3 tomorrow.  I have lost 2 Surprises and 2 Trader Brigs.  All redemables ships so it wasn't something I crafted.   They where a bit of a set back.  The Surprise I lost this morning was cause of a DC and sent in an F11 cause no repairs where on my ship when I got back in game.   The folks it hurts to lost there ships are those that are casual and solo playing without making a nice bank. I still not have a great bank cause I'm working on my shipyard level 3 cause apparently the Aggy takes a level three shipyard even though it's a 4th rate.   My issue is that PvP pay outs are crap.   I get more from PvE grinding same level ships than I get from PvP and most of my clan is wanting to only solo grind cause you have to share every thing and you get very little.  Or they have to spend all day running around trading.   And lets put it this way I have a 3rd rate, every thing to make a Vict other than the Frame/Planks and of course the level 3 shipyard, but I also have three pirate chars (Shallow water, Deep water and Crafter).   So I'm like my own mini clan, but I'm part of a very organized PvP clan.  What has been holding me back is that I been spending alot of my money and crafting mats to help clan members get guns and up and running the last two weeks.  I'm spending more time crafting and trading than I am playing the part of the game I like.  THE PVP.....there should be a balance where they guys that want to fight all the time can still make money to give to the traders to craft and trade with and so forth. 

And don't say stay in the basic cutter, we don't want to grind small ships and fleets we want to fight and fight in big stuff.  We are find with being held back from SOL's for a while, but most of guys are all still in there redemables ships cause they can't get the mats and money to pay for other ships yet.

• Like 2

I get that organizing a clan is complicated. But has nothing to do with the 1 durabilities :)

We are a tiny clan and we have our own specific crafting line dedicated to our corsair day to day life. We spend only a couple hours per week in crafting. The other 10 hours we spend out there fighting.

I do have rules not from today. 1. cash aside 2. always sail 1 ship below rank and have crew reserve

Has served me well in 5 duras and 1 dura.

I am fine with 1 durability ships, too, and my "clan" is only 1 player: me :P

I have been experimenting with a variety of mechanics around trading, PVE grinding, trader hunting and a little tiny bit of PVP, just to bring myself up to speed with the current patch milieu.

At first I felt it was really hard to earn money, then I did a couple things: capped a player trader Brig who happened to have a Sealed Bottle (jackpot!) and also, thanks to @admin focused on capping AI LGVs. Originally I did it for the contest, then I realized that if you use a Basic Cutter the payout is very good (17k / ~75XP / 3 PVE marks) for 20-25min of effort. And no repair costs to the Basic Cutter, and there are LGVs everywhere, so... yeah, I don't need much money, and the money I need isn't hard to come by.

Now I am finally taking advantage of my relative financial freedom to explore parts of the map I've never been to before and explore new opportunities for plunder and profit. I am crafting hull repairs and rig repairs and positioning them in places where I think they may be useful to RVR players... and then use the data on whether they sell or not to get a better idea of "where the action is."

Anyways, not particularly scientific but I am having a fun time and seeing new and interesting places on the map. I am not finding the grind nor the single ship durabilities to be a hold-back, as there are relatively simple solutions to each: sail cheap ships, cap big traders, make enough money to fund my itinerant lifestyle of adventure on the high seas. Works for me! :)

• Like 4