Game-Labs Forum

Best Time to Tack

Norfolk nChance

Question

7 answers to this question

Watch your speed under compass and angle 'with the wind' when it starts moving , at the same time try to keep it nice and optimal. Remember your heading first, then follow wind direction (wind at your back) and always try to follow it as it moves (counter clockwise) and at the same time keep your final destination direction close. Once your ship reaches close haul and you start loosing speed, flip through and readjust your heading to your final destination. 

P3 in your case (less turning)

tacking.jpg

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 1

when my sails are parallel to the wind I tack, it is at that moment the wind stops propelling you forward, and instead in reverse, I do this to maintain enough speed to increase the effectiveness of my rudder through the turn as well as my sails. 

One point to keep in mind is that the starboard tack will always be favored because of the wind rotation. You can also watch your sails and when the square sails go flat and start to shiver, then it is time to tack.

Edit: This is sailing on the OW.

Edited by DeRuyter
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

One point to keep in mind is that the starboard tack will always be favored because of the wind rotation. You can also watch your sails and when the square sails go flat and start to shiver, then it is time to tack.

Edit: This is sailing on the OW.

Usually I sail on port tack and follow the wind round, slowly sterring to port at whatever wind angle provides the jump from 10 or so knots to 18 or so knots (ymmv) if I can manage it, but sometimes I sit at the 0 to 10 jump, particulalrly on short journeys..

If I'm sailing off the wind and it catches up with me, I'll probably keep at the same angle as above but on startboard tack, steering slowly to port till my destination is dead upwind then I'll tack to the same angle on port and continue to follow the wind round till I'm back on course.

But often I'm AFK and just let the ship do its own thing :)

Edited by Remus