Game-Labs Forum

Navigation by triangulation

Edited to add:

You use the hand bearing compass to take bearings from a number of distant landmarks, then compare against your chart to triangulate your position. It would work great for the NA interpretation of the Caribbean.

Edited by Sansón Carrasco

22 minutes ago, Sansón Carrasco said:

You use the hand bearing compass to take bearings from a number of distant landmarks, then compare against your chart to triangulate your position. It would work great for the NA interpretation of the Caribbean.

It would be functional, I agree. But would it be useful?

If you can see two different landmasses, then you already know where you are. No more precise location is necessary in this game, where there are no hidden shoals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maturin said:

I mean, in theory it would help locate things like shipwrecks and whatnot, but in practice, with the way the terrain gets rendered at distance, you probably wouldn't be able to see sufficient detail to really do proper bearings (and I don't think our map has sufficient topo accuracy anyways).

So, no, but... it would be cool!

More useful would of course be the lat/lon coordinates, but others have already pointed out the problems inherent in that (precision guided gank squads).

2 hours ago, maturin said:

If you can see two different landmasses, then you already know where you are. No more precise location is necessary in this game, where there are no hidden shoals.

Yes. I've just sailed from Belize to KPR picking up a wreck on the way. I needed a course change en route, due north of one of the little Cays south of Jamaica. It is quite hard using the UI compass for this, but if I had a hand-bearing compass it would have been a doddle.

I doubt they used hand bearing compasses 200 years ago but would have sighted the island across the binnacle, but this feature isn't avaialble in game as the compass is fixed to ship orientation, not camera angle.

Several questions on this topic:

Why can't my captain buy a Watch item at port, that has different quality levels and could be looted or crafted? The watch would give GMT time equivalent and could be inaccurate. 

Then my captain can take a Measurement each Noon and Midnight with various tools to get an approximation of longitude or  latitude, giving me the rough grid where my ship is located. This grid can be based on the quality of instruments.

Perhaps the entire set of instruments can be the Item, and it can be lost if the ship sinks - so you would have to go back to the basic innacurate version, or obtain a quality more accurate version of the tools at some expense. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tenet said:

Several questions on this topic:

Why can't my captain buy a Watch item at port, that has different quality levels and could be looted or crafted? The watch would give GMT time equivalent and could be inaccurate. 

Then my captain can take a Measurement each Noon and Midnight with various tools to get an approximation of longitude or  latitude, giving me the rough grid where my ship is located. This grid can be based on the quality of instruments.

Perhaps the entire set of instruments can be the Item, and it can be lost if the ship sinks - so you would have to go back to the basic innacurate version, or obtain a quality more accurate version of the tools at some expense. 

This this this this this PLEASE DEVS THIS IS WHAT WE WANT

This not only is historical and realistic to the time period, but gives the player something to do on long journeys and makes sailing/navigating MUCH more interactive, which usally means a LOT more fun. Its a good way to entertain players during the voyage besides going AFK and watching youtube for the whole trip. Not only that, but it ALSO gives crafters another item to sell and create, and another item to add to the overall economy. And with the ability for it to be lost when your ship sinks, it creates a constant need for them, because lets face it. People will always sink. There will always be a need for more to be made. :)

I would also like to suggest the ability to write and draw on the map, which can create a way for nations to create their own trade routes. For example, player A, B, C, and D are part of a clan, and are doing mostly trading. They have a set route they take, with a couple stops along the way and some winding between islands down south. Player F joins the clan, and the other players tell him the route, so he draws it on his map. This way, its marked, and he can follow the route any time he needs. Players can the also mark interesting locations they may want to check out, or write little notes to help remember things, like what port they found X item at, ect. This is both realistic, and extremely interactive and creates an almost mini game, something that I feel traders need in this game.

Please please PLEASE don't listen to the hardcore flotilla who think the protractor is far more than we need. This is a game about 19th century sailing vessels on the open ocean. They had a ton of tools to help them find their way around and navigate the seas. They had charts, measuring instruments, writing utensils, compasses, gauges, ect. Tools that any competent captain would have in that time period.

Please devs, please hear our cries.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tenet said:

What, exactly, would the captain do at midnight? I'm intrigued.