Game-Labs Forum

NDA and Streaming (Twitch) or Videos (Youtube)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a no no until the NDA is up, just I have a few friends who want to invest in the game but want me to show them whilst I am talking too them so they can get a 'proper' feel for the game. Their words not mine.

see here for Admins answer

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2072-possibilities-on-streaming-through-twitch-or-youtube-videos/?hl=streaming

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see any NDA after starting game... and I have been looking at the news, announcements and in the forum in general.

I also asked in-game but noone were really replying.

So before I do anything rash... as per the topic... is streaming the game considered OK or did I just completely miss the NDA somehow?

Thanks.

You can stream and shoot youtube videos if they are not showing glaring bugs with the clear explanation that this is an alpha and game is of course not final. 

Feel free to post the videos that do not focus on bugs (which exist). 

Very glad you thought to ask before going ahead sir.  Stream away, with the above caveats!

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate that.

The idea of streaming the game isn't to show bugs though, it's to give the game a bit of attention and for people who follow my stream to experience a new game which is completely different from most games out there :)

I've not played a fun sailing game since Sid Meiers Pirates... and this game, even in these early days, is incredibly fun :)

A quick note - I'm not a Game-Labs staffer, the following is just my take on what I think they mean.  :)

There are quite a few forumers, some of them pretty well known on YouTube that stream and post videos of the game on a regular basis.  The intent of Admin's statements, in my opinion, is to not allow someone to use in-game video to denigrate the game (e.g. "See!  Look right there, it's obvious these guys have no clue what they're doing!  Wow, look at the lines going right through that sail, what awful modeling!" - unfounded, negative statements like that).

If you're playing along in a stream and there is a little bug, you might say "oops, part of being an Alpha tester is finding little problems, I'll make a note of that and let's go on with what we were doing."  A huge bug, you might cut the feed and restart the game.  If you're making a video and there's a huge crash or a monster problem, you'd just edit it out or not use that footage.   :)

My first time playing the game yesterday. it was absolutely awesome and the highlight was a battle where my poor Cutter was sent to sea alongside a Snow to take down a Bellona.

I was doing alright (by my own estimation), but then I made a crucial mistake when we were all up against the wind and my little Cutter slowly glided up alongside the Bellona... yeah... you guessed it... my 6 doubleshots didn't really stand a chance against a full Broadside from Bellona.

But it was fantastic fun for a whole 4,5 hours, and I would have gone longer except it was really late at night by then :)

Here's my first play session! http://www.twitch.tv/ghroznak/b/601035277

• 2 weeks later...

I know that there are videos online of gameplay, and that they have been commented on and shared by the developers, but I want to be certain that there is no risk for me if I take and share screenshots and videos of the game, as I've tested for some other games for which there were pretty strict penalties for breaking NDA. I don't recall reading anything in the terms and conditions about any NDA when I installed and I couldn't find any information about an NDA through Google/forum search, but Steam won't let me publish public screenshots. I'm not sure if that was done on the behalf of the devs although I get the feeling it is just the default setting for private access games through Steam, and that the devs are as ecstatic for everyone to know about the game as we are.

AFAIK, the devs are preparing the EULA, there is no NDA at the moment for the Sea Trials. You can share your screenshoots free but please share that ones without visual or any other kind of bugs etc. There are not many as well as they are rare to spot but still :)

I know that there are videos online of gameplay, and that they have been commented on and shared by the developers, but I want to be certain that there is no risk for me if I take and share screenshots and videos of the game, as I've tested for some other games for which there were pretty strict penalties for breaking NDA. I don't recall reading anything in the terms and conditions about any NDA when I installed and I couldn't find any information about an NDA through Google/forum search, but Steam won't let me publish public screenshots. I'm not sure if that was done on the behalf of the devs although I get the feeling it is just the default setting for private access games through Steam, and that the devs are as ecstatic for everyone to know about the game as we are.

Your Steam issues are likely a result of NA being in a testing status - the streaming feature doesn't work either from what I'm hearing.

AFAIK, the devs are preparing the EULA, there is no NDA at the moment for the Sea Trials. You can share your screenshoots free but please share that ones without visual or any other kind of bugs etc. There are not many as well as they are rare to spot but still :)

This.  The idea is to only show images that have the game in working order.  Admin has also posted that you can put videos on YouTube and Stream the game as well so long as you mention that the game is in Pre-Release Alpha status, and don't emphasize any problems or bugs that you encounter, editing them out where possible would be a good idea in my opinion.

Good stance in my eyes, gives the game more free publicity so the developers don't have to focus on it that much. I myself was lead here by a certain youtube video and immediately had to buy the game to try it out, and I was not disappointed so far! :D That way the game will have a bigger community already at launch, which is always useful for a game.

Since we are not a "closed" group of invited alpha testers and the game is publicly available to everyone I don't think there is any NDA, so you can pretty much stream whatever you like... But to be fair on this small team it would be polite to not just highlight the bugs and put them in a bad spot.

I have to say that I bought into alot of these early acces games and this one is the only one that keeps me playing, and not just test and wait for the next patch, and rinse and repeat every few months.