Game-Labs Forum
Destraex

[suggestion] Name ships

While people are mentioning painting your hull...while I'm fine not introducing a full colour editor (to prevent silliness) I would very much rather see 2-3 colour options for a ship when you buy it.  Even if you don't choose the colour, ie. it's assigned before put on sale (again I'd be fine with pre-designed ships for sale "oh here's the Troubadore and it's painted in this colour scheme...").  Or, ideally, ships produced by nations have their own colours and are historically accurate.  This would be even cooler if you captured an enemy ship.  A little dig at the other side (oh, look at your ship, flying my colours!)

To me I do find it annoying that all cutters and yachts etc. are identical.  To have any kind of genuine diversity we really do need some colour options and that's not a hugely difficult task when the models are completed.  I'm also fine skipping fancy colours/designed sails.  They're fine as is, unless a nation historically flew different coloured sails.

Hmmm. Do we realy want ships with names like HMS Cocksucker and HMS fickenfickenSPERMA?

I say no.

Edited by Ligatorswe
  • Like 4

I completely agree with not wanting to see non-sense names on ships.  However, I do not like the idea of having to choose from a list of historical names.  I feel as though having to choose from a list, even a long one, would create a lot of duplicate names between players.  While some names would be extremely popular, others would be seldom or never used.  However, I think that there is a compromise to be made from this.  While I do not believe each player should be restricted to specific names, I also do not think that they should have complete freedom to create completely original names.  For this reason I think an extensive list of nouns and adjectives should be made and allow people to pick combinations from this list.  This would allow for creative names while preventing the non-sense names that we all want to avoid.  Of course this can lead to some more creative names that hint at obscene ideas, however, if the list was released and the player base allowed to go through it, I am sure many of the unwanted names could be removed.  This allows players to create a unique name that they can take ownership of and prevents the names that might break immersion in the game.

I still support a lengthy historical list...from which names are generated randomly when a ship is purchased.  This will reduce the "cool names" that everyone takes and will generally be easier to avoid too many duplicates.

I also don't mind the nouns/adjectives idea, even if it would lead to less historical names - I think it's a safe solution.

• Like 1

I want this but there is the point that you ma get some bright spark calling ther boat somthing rude or offencive and we don't wan't that in our game.

ship naming should be free imo ..offensive and rude names should get reported and gamemasters could warn them or something like that.

i think the community can handle that easy

greetings

• Like 1

How often are you really going to see the stern of an enemy's ship at close range?

And when you are, will you be reading the name, or be trying to put a round of grape perfectly through the stern windows?

Player names are unregulated. We even have a Pirate clan called GAY.

So let's not suddenly become hardliners now.

I would absolutely love to see my given name of my ship to be visible on the hull. It would be glorious instead of having every ship named 'Constitution' or Victory' etc. A list would of available names would be very limiting to ship names. Yes you would get players naming their ships something incredibly derpy, however with an added 'player ship name report' mechanic in the game names can be reported and forced to change if vulgar or inappropriate.

I would absolutely love to see my given name of my ship to be visible on the hull. It would be glorious instead of having every ship named 'Constitution' or Victory' etc. A list would of available names would be very limiting to ship names. Yes you would get players naming their ships something incredibly derpy, however with an added 'player ship name report' mechanic in the game names can be reported and forced to change if vulgar or inappropriate.

same opinion here !

ship naming should be free imo ..offensive and rude names should get reported and gamemasters could warn them or something like that.

i think the community can handle that easy

greetings

Ship naming should be free, as are character's names. We don't need a list of historical ships, as this game doesn't even get close to be an accurate historical representation of the Age of Sail. We don't need more dictatorial political correctness either. What we need more than anything though is intelligent names for NPC rather than the actual rubbish.

As for really offensive/insulting ships names, I too think the community can handle this easily.

I would be terribly disappointed to encounter an HMS YoLoSwAg!1, or anything remotely "funny" (ha....ha... -.-).

What is the point of creating a game that aims for historical accuracy with the necessary subtractions for gameplay reasons (like no real-time sailing and 1:1 distances), when you, in the end, allow goofy names that INDEED spoil the fun for those who bought this game to finally have something believable that takes place in this time period and genre.

Naval Action is something very new and unique, I do not see why it has to go the same way all other games did before -> the casual route, to please the masses who, coincidentally(?) seem to have

less problems with historical inaccuracy or lack of immersion... but I won't jump to conclusions here.

Also, I wish to address those who claim that silly names etc. wouldn't ruin the immersion for some people: Speak for yourselves only, thank you! <_<

Because no, you can't just "look away" or "ignore" this. Immersion is no matter of choice, immersion happens, it is something passive, not active.

I can not just unsee or forget the HMS YoLoSwAg!1, and no, it doesn't matter if it was "just a troll" in his little cutter, or the Admiral of a major clan in his Victory, doesn't matter at all!

Those who, for whatever reason, insist on this kind of "fun" [citation needed], just go play literally every other game available.

And if it isn't as important because "It's just a game/have a little fun!" (worst non-sense-argument of all time), then why even bother in the end?

I only hope the devs won't go the "casual" way, it would betray everything Naval Action stands for, in my humble opinion.

In the end, I'd rather have no custom names at all, then HMS [insertohsowittynamehere].

My 2cents.

• Like 3

So far i have Named 3 of my ships

A surprise Named  - Udfordringen = The challenge

A trincomalee Named  - Hvidbjørnen = whitebear

and a Essex named - Stridshingsten = Warstallion

Being able to rename a ship and seeing the name on the ship is something I would definitely like to see in the future. The allowed symbols could be limited to alphabet so names like >l<HMS YoLoSwAg!1>l<and such would not be possible.

Other customization options I would like to see would be being able to change the ship paint, stern carving and figurehead. These could be maybe nation specific and/or unlockable by doing various things in the game. Having a dozen identical USS Constitutions fighting for both sides in the same battle is way more immersion breaking than having some "historically unaccurate" detail on the ships.

Edited by Marcomies

Yes an old thread but i dont want to make a new one :-)

I really want unique Ship Names. For myself i would give my ship a name like "HMS Berlin" or "HMS Alexader" or something.

But i know much players would use such a custon name system to name their ships like "USS Ashole" or "Motherf.*****" or "xXx Roxxor xXx" or something.

And that is what i really don't like to read.

The solution is a ingame shipname generator which gives some name proposals and the player can choose the one he/she likes.

Add a logic (nation dependent) Prefix like USS for the unites states or HMS for British to the name would be fine,

It is hard to implement the name showing on the ship itself, but much easier to show in OW Name Tag and in Batte result screens and so on..

was there any answer of the devs to this issue in the history? Are there any plans to implement this?

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 1

Yes an old thread but i dont want to make a new one :-)

I really want unique Ship Names. For myself i would give my ship a name like "HMS Berlin" or "HMS Alexader" or something.

But i know much players would use such a custon name system to name their ships like "USS Ashole" or "Motherf.*****" or "xXx Roxxor xXx" or something.

And that is what i really don't like to read.

The solution is a ingame shipname generator which gives some name proposals and the player can choose the one he/she likes.

Add a logic (nation dependent) Prefix like USS for the unites states or HMS for British to the name would be fine,

It is hard to implement the name showing on the ship itself, but much easier to show in OW Name Tag and in Batte result screens and so on..

was there any answer of the devs to this issue in the history? Are there any plans to implement this?

I think they could probably add in a plate on the back of every ship. I'm pretty sure they had a similar idea where there is a preset position at the bow. Players choose their figurehead of choice from the shop.

I like your idea a lot, it would be neat if they took every ship name from the 18th and 19th century and put it into a drawing. Then players will pay gold and have the name drawn from the list.

I would like to have the faction specific list with historical shipnames. Everyone can choose from it, an when ten people want to call their ship Victory, so be it. I guess there is some journal available for all nation, where all their names for navy ships are noted. For traders a similar list should be available. All in all these will be thousands of names.

This will keep the game somehow historical, but gives a certain individuality. Beside the Name the ship's class must be shown (Bellona-, Victory-class, etc)

Real indivual names are too difficult to control.

It would be nice to be able to add a note or name to each ship to avoid having to constantly look at each ship to know the build, cannons and mods on each ship

I'm probably not the only one that have a couple of the same ship in a port that are setup for different things...

i.e. boarding connie, carronade connie, etc.

• Like 2

I believe we have been wanting this ability for a full year plus some. Hope it comes soon. Maybe that's what the pray button is for...to pray to the devgods for what we want added to the game :)

Would also be nice to be able to change the name of the ship that is displayed for real on the stern and other people can see it in battle and OW. Even if its a permanent upgrade slot that you have to buy for real money for each ship (Devs, hint-hint B) )

Also would be awesome to have statistics on each ship. Battles its done, damage, hitting info, wins/looses etc. You look at the ship and you know how you actually doing in it.

Also we badly need battle replay function that you could review later and switch between ships. This would allow not only good analyses of fights but also good video making, boosting this game popularity a million times more with the gaming community. People would WANT to come and try it.

Exactly as topic says. I want to name my own ship.

I would like to be able in the interface to have the rear of the ship display my own name for that ship. So that other people 

see my name in game if they look at the rear of the ship.

I would also like to be able to remove national markings or change the colours of anything like the constitution which looks wrong with a british flag. Not that I will be using American ships if I play the french or british anyways.

I would also like the name to be historically where it was .... so if it was front rather than rear that is fine as well.

this could be done without a very big database of names that you are allowed to pick.

every player should be able to name its ship whatever they want , however there would then be players that would name there ship the "Pussy destroyer" or somethink like that.

to counter this the devs should pick a group of people that would judge every name suggested by a player.

so basicly when you get a new ship you should pick a name for it otherwise it would not be able to be used, after you came up with what you think is a good name, the name would be sent to a group of players appointed by the devs and those players will vote YES or NO for that name to be used.

if your name has been voted on and 80 % of the voters said YES then the name is officially part of the game and registerd to your ship.

you could even go as far as getting a official paper by the admiralty proving that your ship is named .................(ship name)................ 

these are just some ideas i had, thx for reading.

• Like 1