Game-Labs Forum

Cmon - 7 pages of discussion about the name plate that for other players will have  size of 3 - 50 pixels? So that's ok for me, because that's will be very easy to ignore-such small thing like ship plate it is not "invasive" for other players.

As for the skins - absolutely not. If you join the Navy you must expect unification, not individualization. This is not a circus, fashion show or gallery of captain graphic fantasies.

Game-Labs announced  system of "stand out from the crowd" - pennants awarded by the Admiralty for captain duty. For me, this is the right approach to the subject of derogations from unification.

You do know that navy captains painted their own ships right?

Problem was a lot of the time the paint was provided by the admiralty. 

It's sail colour which did not change much. That is one big ass problem I had watching POTBS videos.

You do know that navy captains painted their own ships right?

Problem was a lot of the time the paint was provided by the admiralty. 

It's sail colour which did not change much. That is one big ass problem I had watching POTBS videos.

You are right, rich and/or successful captains who earned a decent amount of prize money also used it to customize their ships with gold plating on certain parts etc. So having this option would add to the immersion and realism of the game.

I like the idea to have a choice in naming your own ship. There are going to be thousands of captains in this game so having 2000+ ships with the name 'Constitution' sailing the high seas would be confusing and a bit annoying. Kind of like an "I'm Spartacus" scenario.

I don't know how naming your ship could be implimented, either through a name-generator or through an obscenity filter. All I know is that I'd like to be able to give my ship an unique name.

I've just read through this whole thread (I'll paraphrase the prior 7 pages up for anyone who doesn't wish to do the same) and it seems pretty clear what the general consensus is with few exceptions. I appreciate the discussion is largely pointless as the devs will have their own preferences but I got nothing better to do with my time :( 

•     We don't want to see players usernames above their ship.
  •     We want the name of our ships on the name plate (so long as it's not detracting too much time from gameplay improvements).
  •     We generally don't want unrestricted ship names as abuse detracts from immersion.
  •     A list of acceptable/historical names in different languages is generally preferred.
  •     You can change your own ship name upon purchase/construction of the ship.
  •     Ships owned by Navies cannot be renamed.

There is compromise there and it can't really be argued to spoil immersion if well implemented. The only concession is that players wanting to name their ships sensibly (I would be one) have no means to do so.

I would like to put forward a suggestion...

As well as the 'lists' of ship names you can chose from when renaming a ship, how about the option to submit a name for approval (bear with me here)..

1. It is made VERY clear that only realistic names will be approved and filters (no symbols, numbers etc. or prefixes like 'USS', 'HMS') are placed on submissions.

2. The name will only be changed upon approval, which could take days and in the mean time you can chose from the list keeping in mind this might be the final name.

3. It costs you a real $donation just to make a submission without any guarantee that it will be accepted. This will stop spamming name requests.

4. If accepted you will be charged a premium (for instance, 3x $donation amount) to change your ship name.

This helps fund the game (which I know is another highly debated topic that). The devs could even employ someone to do this with the explicit instruction that the names must be appropriate meaning it wont detract from more important developments.

It won't ruin immersion, in fact would help it by offering more unique names.. I see no downside to this other than time taken to implement into the game.

I would also suggest that if we're to create a list of appropriate ship names then a list at dockyards for appropriate, historically accurate colour schemes could also be added.

Players worried about opening a can of worms need to understand that this does not set a precedent for players to demand anything else. It's a solution to a problem (that will no doubt arise if/when naming towns or ports is added too) and it needs to be addressed eventually. These are mere suggestions and the devs obviously have final say to veto anything.

• Like 2

So maybe a micro transaction system to make a submission for a community Tribunal for personalized historical names. Outside of that a "Name Generator" based on real names somebody point it out pages away that could work fine with less strict name pool, especially for merchant navy. 

In most navies we can found a really big name pool for combat ships names. For merchant fleet this should be less strict and a Name Generator that will work nice as long as the pool names of that keep realistic names, adjectives for each navy/nation.

That could give the freedom to player to choose a name from a pool totally randomized for example choose between these 3 names or mulligan and the randomizer draw/generates 3 new names. Also cut down the “Race for the official/cool name” if you want the cool name you have to pay it and support the game.

Randomizer well implemented gives both the historicalish names and the player feeling of choosing something. Keeping the devs away of approving each name (they had better things to do). 

Personally I think that the ability for players to name to name their ships is a good idea. In order to prevent/discourage unsuitable names I believe that names should:

1/ Use capital letters only

2/ No numbers

3/ No punctuation

4/ Charactes limit

5/ A no obscenities rule

There also needs to be the ability for players to report unsuitable names and have the suitability judged by some sort of player panel.

• Like 1

One thing I will note. IF it is requiered for a real monetary "donation" to change the name of a ship, I can see people being very careful not to lose that ship. Especially if the name means something to them. Lets say someone wanted to name their ship after their girlfriend Samantha, and do so. Now the ship is lost in battle. And if ship loss is permenant as a number of community members seem to wish, well. That right out sucks. Just saying it seems like a poor matchip.

That is what im saying. It would suck. So many people seem to want ships to be used like money, have it one minute gone the next. I think we should have a penalty, not a death sentence. Instead of perma-death we should just have something like a ammount of time we cant use that ship. Or if someone takes control of it they can use it for a short time or until they are captured.

Personally I think that the ability for players to name to name their ships is a good idea. In order to prevent/discourage unsuitable names I believe that names should:

1/ Use capital letters only

2/ No numbers

3/ No punctuation

4/ Charactes limit

5/ A no obscenities rule

There also needs to be the ability for players to report unsuitable names and have the suitability judged by some sort of player panel.

I do not trust the quality of judgments made by  "some sort of player panel".

To be honest, PotBS way was quiet good - name your ship however you like, because no one will be able to see this name, except you - in dockyard, so no one will be offended/harmed.

I could be wrong but name plate integrated with ship will require rebuliding all ship models, and it is possible bug source in future. Sure, we can ask developers to drop real features and focus on such bs.

Solong as the nameplates have generic characters, that is, an A looks like an A and a B looks like a B on all the ships, it shouldn't be THAT hard to make that real standardized.

I do not trust the quality of judgments made by  "some sort of player panel".

To be honest, PotBS way was quiet good - name your ship however you like, because no one will be able to see this name, except you - in dockyard, so no one will be offended/harmed.

I could be wrong but name plate integrated with ship will require rebuliding all ship models, and it is possible bug source in future. Sure, we can ask developers to drop real features and focus on such bs.

I do trust my fellow players! Player participation is really the only way to make a naming system work whether it is 'freeform' or a select from a list system. Having the devs do it would be too time/resource intensive I think.

I do not know whether a nameplate would require rebuilding all ship models or not, but as your post says, neither do you. It is a question only the devs can answer. If a nameplate system is implementable relatively easily, I think it would add greatly to the immersion factor.

If we can't change the name on the nameplate then we're all sailing around in HMS Victories or USS Constitutions... While not exactly a game breaker it's a bit lame and I don't think for such a competent set of devs adding custom nameplates would be a difficult task at all.

One thing I will note. IF it is requiered for a real monetary "donation" to change the name of a ship, I can see people being very careful not to lose that ship. Especially if the name means something to them. Lets say someone wanted to name their ship after their girlfriend Samantha, and do so. Now the ship is lost in battle. And if ship loss is permenant as a number of community members seem to wish, well. That right out sucks. Just saying it seems like a poor matchip.

Surely this is a good thing? We don't want players paying no heed to the consequences of losing a ship. It's of course a compromise of customisation and moderating ship names while helping to fund the game. After all, if you don't want to pay  in case you lose the ship, then pick a name that doesn't cost you or leave the name as is.

That is what im saying. It would suck. So many people seem to want ships to be used like money, have it one minute gone the next. I think we should have a penalty, not a death sentence. Instead of perma-death we should just have something like a ammount of time we cant use that ship. Or if someone takes control of it they can use it for a short time or until they are captured.

So we end up with WoT suicide runs and millions of ships in the economy as they're never destroyed... That sounds horrible.

I would suggest that if you're in a navy then they reissue you a ship if yours is lost but if the ship is your own that you've had to grind to buy then it should be lost forever if you throw it away.

Gents, I believe that we all have somewhat of an dismay and previous histories of being scared for life somewhere out there on the internet.  However, most likely the case was that we were on a free part of the internet where we didn't have to pay for any money.

You have to remember that this is a $40 dollar game right now, and that price is not expected to drop anytime soon.  That weans out a TON of idiots from playing this game.  If someone is going to spend 40 bucks on a game, then obviously they have a desire to try to enjoy it.  These people who buy this game are also most likely the type that can tell the difference between a ship and a boat. 

Now, judging from this forum alone, I believe that we are generally a responsible group of players.  No one of yet has tried to rip the head off of another or flamed out someone with all caps enough curse words to make any one of us sailors blush yet.

Personally, I trust that we won't name our ships the Lolo or QkJndnsQ.  The game itself thins out the crowd enough where we can trust each other.

However, I know that some people want to argue, and yes, there are definitely people out there that are rich idiots.  Therefore, I will add some other suggestions:

1) The name plate is only allowed for players that have purchased and achieved to a sloop-of-war or Frigate sized ship.

If you have played the open world for the length of time to achieve these ships, then you should be a somewhat serious captain.  Once you achieve that size of ship, then you have put in effort for that ship and you deserve the right to name it.

2) Allow for custom nameplates but be only visible to you.

This is actually much easier than what you think it is.  Every ships nameplate will be the same for everyone.  Basically, it's a visual mod for the player's own ship.  You download the .tga file of the ship's nameplate area and then there you can draw on it with Photoshop or Gimp software.  You then add that customized .tga file to your own ship's texture file where it only shows on your own screen.  Anybody else looking at your nameplate would see the generic name.  Creating a system like this puts little to no strain on the developer.  The only thing that they would have to develop would be a mod manager of sorts and making the nameplate a separate .tga file.  The developers don't have to worry about fonts or coloration as you or the artist would have to do the coloring to match. 

While I know that some here are not artists, there are always such people like me who are generous souls who know how to draw with Gimp or Photoshop will gladly do this.  Heck, I probably could create a little business off of it if it becomes popular enough. 

So there you go, personally I wouldn't want restrictions on the names for ships as it takes the fun out of naming your own ship and feeling that personal pride in her, but if you are going to enact restrictions but allow names to be changed, then use either of my suggestions.

OK so some people want the freedom to name their ships and others don't want to risk seeing ships called "HMS **** you!"

there is a very easy solution that can please everyone.

An option in the settings of the game that allows a player to choose not to see the customised names of other players

• Like 2

There could be a database of: Names of persons, animals, plants, colours, cities, etc; allowed adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, prepositions, articles, determinants, that will bring us the possibility to mix/combine them to make a new and personal name.  

Although this thread is from before my time, the more I think about this idea the more I like it.

• Like 2

Let me be the devils advocate here a bit.

Why shouldn't we be allowed to name our ships whatever we want?

Why should we have to select a name from a pre-populated list?

I might want to name my ship the 'Egersund' in recognition of my home town, or something like 'Draugen', 'Æger', 'Skjold' or any other Norwegian name for the ships. Should I have to submit a request to have a ship name for every ship ever made or renamed in the game ?

Are we going to bog down the developers, or their Customer Support team with all these requests?

Furthermore, there is already a whole lot of awkward player names in the game and it is the PLAYER name and NOT the ship name that is visible (in current form anyhow). So if we follow the logic of how to name ships shouldn't there already be a request system for even making and getting your player name approved?

Give us freedom to name our ships whatever we want, and IF someone for some reason make a name that is gravely offensive then handle that on a case-by-case basis by using the proper report tools (just as you would if it's an offensive player name).

• Like 2

An option in the settings of the game that allows a player to choose not to see the customised names of other players

Then we'll still be sat looking at half a dozen USS Constitutions....

Let me be the devils advocate here a bit.

Why shouldn't we be allowed to name our ships whatever we want?

There are 7 previous pages with plenty of reasons..

I want to name my ship too but I can see why it's not as simple as 'let them call ships what they want'.

Make it worth the devs time to review name requests, by charging for it (it fits in with the payment model of only charging for superficial items) and add those accepted to a list of all potential names, like has been suggested..

• Like 1

Honestly, I didn't read through all 8 pages of this...

Has anyone suggested just banning certain words? I know there are games out there that do it to your name, and as a server admin you can type in a list of words you want banned from chat. Why not the same principle be used to moderate ship names? The developers can create a list of rude or moronic words that we don't want to see on ships, if a player sees a "loophole word" or a word they missed they can report that word & get it banned as well. Seems like a simple enough answer to fix a great idea.

Honestly, I didn't read through all 8 pages of this...

Has anyone suggested just banning certain words? I know there are games out there that do it to your name, and as a server admin you can type in a list of words you want banned from chat. Why not the same principle be used to moderate ship names? The developers can create a list of rude or moronic words that we don't want to see on ships, if a player sees a "loophole word" or a word they missed they can report that word & get it banned as well. Seems like a simple enough answer to fix a great idea.

If you'd read the whole thread you'd have seen It's not just the rude words players don't want to see, it's also the childish and inappropriate ones too. Like HMS po0opstick or USS Obama Care.. It's probably easier to create a list of words that you can have rather than a list you can't, in that case.

And, add in a handful of patterns for combining the allowed words and the set of possibilities gets larger exponentially.

I did read a good chunk of the thread and get what you guys are saying, but I don't think choosing from a list of words is going to be sufficient. What if someone wants to use, say, their name for their ship? Or make up a word? Ban the use of numbers in names, that gets rid of half the idiotic names right there, then ban words like leet, noob, poop, haxor, whatever, etc...

(I think a ship named the USS Obama Care would be hilarious.)