Game-Labs Forum

Fireship CUTTERS exploit

tsk tsk, never would such esteemed players resort to so unworthy tactics.  what shame.  

back on topic -

Assuming they intentionally shoot each other to catch fire, which could constitute damage farming for the the purpose of gain (ships).  Sounds like griefing/exploiting to me.  

Edit - the more I think about it, the more more despicable of a tactic this really is.  Using unlimited basic cutters with unlimited crew and repairs...potentially shooting each other to catch fire and then sailing into larger more expensive ships that could potentially set a player back at huge expense with zero risk to yourself.  So nasty. 

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Assuming they intentionally shoot each other to catch fire, which could constitute damage farming for the the purpose of gain (ships).  Sounds like griefing/exploiting to me.  

Correct me if im wrong....  Although i havent checked recently...Dosent Friendly Fire take away points::??

At Least NO FRENCH were involved :P

Edited by Chilly Willy
adding content

26 minutes ago, Christendom said:

tsk tsk, never would such esteemed players resort to so unworthy tactics.  what shame.  

back on topic -

Edit - the more I think about it, the more more despicable of a tactic this really is.  Using unlimited basic cutters with unlimited crew and repairs...potentially shooting each other to catch fire and then sailing into larger more expensive ships that could potentially set a player back at huge expense with zero risk to yourself.  So nasty. 

lol....  aren't you on the wrong server?!  You self-important RvR guys are supposed to be on Global. This one is only for us russian care-bears. 

The cutters in the picture posted by Chilly are clearly not the battle I witnessed as the victim was an Infef, I also witnessed no fire from the forts and the location was different to Chill's post.  So the players concerned are repeatedly doing this, as they admit, are identified doing so, but state they know it should be fixed - not in the spirit of the game at the very best interpretation. The devs will no doubt fix it but its not reasonable to carry on doing it until they do. Some clarification would helpful BUT we can't expect that every exploitative game play is fixed immediately, so you have an obligation to the rest us us not to do this.

10 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

lol....  aren't you on the wrong server?!  You self-important RvR guys are supposed to be on Global. This one is only for us russian care-bears. 

Hmmm.  You can do better.  

Indeed I'm on global, it'd be nice if you guys were there too helping out the server population.  We could use it.  So far you're the only PVP1 US clan that isn't over there playing full time, but you guys were always good at leaving Chijohn all to his lonesome.  Disappointing.  

no more thread derailing.  

Edited by Christendom

57 minutes ago, Chilly Willy said:

the cutter was hit by shore batteries and enemy fire

it does need to be fixed or adjusted

fireship.png

This was not the battle .. your SS only proves that this is done on a regular basis 

in the battle in question i was in the indy and the forts were far away so no fire from them .. pls no excuses and miss-information this SS that you showing is not even KPR

28 minutes ago, Rouleur said:

The cutters in the picture posted by Chilly are clearly not the battle I witnessed as the victim was an Infef, I also witnessed no fire from the forts and the location was different to Chill's post.  So the players concerned are repeatedly doing this, as they admit, are identified doing so, but state they know it should be fixed - not in the spirit of the game at the very best interpretation. The devs will no doubt fix it but its not reasonable to carry on doing it until they do. Some clarification would helpful BUT we can't expect that every exploitative game play is fixed immediately, so you have an obligation to the rest us us not to do this.

Fireship mods themselves are essentially contrary to the spirit of the game.  The whole rationale is to expend the least valuable ship possible to instantly destroy one or more valuable ships.  Why would you ever put a fireship mod on a valuable ship?  Using it on a basic cutter in combination with consequence free suicide is just carrying the intended mechanic to its logical conclusion: minimize friendly cost and maximize enemy loss.  As inflation gets out of control and players become obscenely rich again, shop cutters / brigs / etc. will become essentially zero in value and be used the same way.  This is not an exploit, but a legitimate use of mechanics that are bad in conception (suicide bombs in a game world where suicide is meaningless) and execution (stacking modifiers that allow very fast initiation and detonation).

Also, devs have in the past endorsed using friendly fire to start fireships, so that really doesn't matter, although I believe most of these victories were achieved through obliging enemies.

Edited by akd
  • Like 2

Hold up.

Do tell me why a trinc captain is not able to:

1) sail away down wind

2) sail away down wind and fire chain on the go?

Even a single chain round removes like 3-4% of that little matchbox, where lies the problem?

on a side note, removing mark reward from the basic ship might be a good idea nonetheless, but please lets not blow this one out of proportion and mark it as an exploit.

Some people are unable to shake a sterncamper, does that make it an exploit than as well?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SteelSandwich said:

Hold up.

Do tell me why a trinc captain is not able to:

1) sail away down wind

2) sail away down wind and fire chain on the go?

Even a single chain round removes like 3-4% of that little matchbox, where lies the problem?

on a side note, removing mark reward from the basic ship might be a good idea nonetheless, but please lets not blow this one out of proportion and mark it as an exploit.

Some people are unable to shake a sterncamper, does that make it an exploit than as well?

1) Not possible due to them coming point blank when tagging (and i was stationary at kpr atm) 

2) not possible coz the indefat take  a looooong time to first turn downwind and accelerate above cutter's speed (my indefat had a top speed of 10.5 which is same with the cutter's downwind speed so your points not valid here) 

and to make it clear again.. the fire was so fast that the battle lasted only 5 minutes MAX i had just enough time to turn the ship downwind and still at 8 knots so...

42 minutes ago, John Sheppard said:

1) Not possible due to them coming point blank when tagging (and i was stationary at kpr atm) 

2) not possible coz the indefat take  a looooong time to first turn downwind and accelerate above cutter's speed (my indefat had a top speed of 10.5 which is same with the cutter's downwind speed so your points not valid here) 

and to make it clear again.. the fire was so fast that the battle lasted only 5 minutes MAX i had just enough time to turn the ship downwind and still at 8 knots so...

and within those 5 minutes, you were not able to get a single shot into their sails?

Welcome to the real world....I on ly see a valid tactic, it was employed numerous times in history.

Stop crying, if you can't defeat cutters with an Indef, you should probably return to cutter.

One solution to calm down those crazy cutters: Make Free Cutters  available only once a day. Simple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Sheppard said:

Hi

apparently there is a new exploit around .. get few basic cutters sail to KPR .. attack a big ship (indefat/trinc) set eachother on fire or wait the big  ship to set you on fire .. hug the big ship so it has 2 cutters on each side or more .. then turn off survival explode and take the big ship with you..

costs the enemy 300k and absolutely nothing for you .. there is no way to defend against it other (you could say board but won't work coz cutters won't drop so low speed and just come around .. turning doesn't work coz they turn with you .. running doesn't work coz cutters are .. well usually faster .. and if you fire even few shots you set them on fire and die 

British captains perfected the fireships and destroyed the Spanish armada. Britain as we know it exists because of fireships. 

For more information on fire ships and their use please proceed here
https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/Spanish-Armada-British-Fire-Ships
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fireships_of_the_Royal_Navy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ship

on the painting- cheap fireship destroying a ship of the line.

rm15tDh.jpg

Cheap fireship destroying a ship of the line again in the Hudson

8CVaVIc.jpg

Verdict

• Cutters can't sail on parallel course with Trincomalee or Indefatigable. They just don't have the speed.
  • You cannot get attacked in the harbor of KPR if you are a brit
  • And fireship was and is a valid tactic in the age of sail with many excellent counters. Destruction of fire ship was always a priority and was awarded heftily (its in the Royal Navy Articles of War)

Captains who perfected the Cutter will do great deeds in the future. Thats why it is recommended to sail every ship and practice practice practice. Its the Navy - not the game. 

Feedback on upgrades or skills (including fireship) should be sent to relevant sections

topic closed.

• Like 15