Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 2 for patch 10.00

admin

2 minutes ago, ironhammer500 said:

Why not increase trade supply? That is  the problem with the game, lower prices alot.

The devs are desperate not to flood the freshly wiped servers with gold.

While I disagree with their approach, it is pretty easy to see where they are coming from. They'll maybe increase weights again when players start sailing fleets of LGVs like we did on Testbed.

To my mind, all this could be avoided by moderate increases in combat gold rewards and maybe a moderate reduction in start-up gold costs. I cannot think more than a few players actually want to haul trade goods, and although we provide PvP targets we are poor fare. However, the game is in early access so I'll not complain; the devs need to try out different methods.

• Like 4

I've made lots of guides that are obsolete now, so what? I will make new ones once I know everything is final. Doing something twice makes it better.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed moderated content.
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Remus said:

While I disagree with their approach, it is pretty easy to see where they are coming from. They'll maybe increase weights again when players start sailing fleets of LGVs like we did on Testbed.

To my mind, all this could be avoided by moderate increases in combat gold rewards and maybe a moderate reduction in start-up gold costs. I cannot think more than a few players actually want to haul trade goods, and although we provide PvP targets we are poor fare. However, the game is in early access so I'll not complain; the devs need to try out different methods.

Never forget that those valuable ports with rare or needed resources will be camped day and night. :) Poor fellows will pay ransom money if they want to continue their business.  

Edited by Ned Low

3 minutes ago, Wynkyn de Worde said:

I don't know why I bothered to come back to try this game. Do the developers actually appreciate the amount of time we devote to working out how things work by trial and error only to have the details arbitrarily changed. Hundreds of hours of my time spent creating spread sheets for trading and calculating ship loading are now useless due to changes in ship capacity and weights of goods. All that effort of mine wasted. I think this just shows the comtempt the developers have for the players. They just don't care about wasting our time and effort. This game is no longer uplifting, it has become soul destroying because of the stupid arbitrary changes made by the devs that simply wipe out hundreds of hours of effort by the players. I really really hate what this game has become now and the stupid grind that devs have imposed on us and the fact that whenever we work out some little part of the game, they change it and make that hard won knowledge useless. Stick your game.

Yes, I downloaded the Item templates json file last night and spent a little while this morning extracting the item weights, meaning to post them and a whole host of other econ data tonight. so that's time wasted, sure, but it's a game in development so I expect things to change. I'll parse the new file tonight and maybe post on Sunday instead.

But hundreds of hours creating spreadsheets? I don't think it's that sort of game, to be honest.

• Like 3

I'm sorry if this is off topic.  When the final version does come & you need help making spreadsheets let me know.  It should not take that long to create a spreadsheet. Raw resources only need to be included once then referenced. Here is the one I created when the new POTBS econ, which is much more complex, came in.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1MfojC6ceQlHIL78nSIUB_7GkEU-oJ2oH-Tb7d_kBc

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Remus said:

I mean increase supply of goods to make ships so they get consumed, so players will trade those  goods not the ones that dont effect ship building or production, atm people cba to build ships or do production because trade goods are better money, even with lots of weight now.

Your elegant solution of protractor and line tool deserves a well tipped hat, gentlemen. Thank you. Thank you very much.

I hope that you may look at a way to fix position as well, but in a rough estimate and slightly time consuming fashion. With that, I would consider the job completely done on navigation. That is my opinion only, naturally. Others may feel otherwise, but you have my gratitude.

• Like 2

They were warned from people on the testbed that trade goods would be monopolized once there was more people on the server.

I can understand that they do not want the game flooded with easy gold but I am not sure they are going about it the right way. Even with increasing the weights a dedicated group of people can still monopolize the trade goods, it just takes them longer to shift it. The NPC shop can still be cleaned out as people will just stockpile it in their warehouse till they can shift it.

I havent had time to play the patch on the live servers yet due to work, but I can see there are many things that where one side gets ahead on it will be very difficult for others to catch up. e.g. traders once they amass a bit of cash will be able to monopolize trade goods as mentioned above, the side that quickly takes the coal ports will have a definite advantage in shipbuilding, the side that manages to build up conquest marks early will have the advantage in conquest etc. In general I can see the first few weeks being critical and the sides left playing catch up will always struggle.

53 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I can see LGV cause I used one as a trade hunter, but that a little hard as majority can't make ships yet.  You can't really trader hunt in the snow or brig cause of there guns.  Snow maybe kinda, but it will take for ever, done it before though took a Trader Brig with a Trader Snow, but most likely it will escape before you ever got it slowed enough to do such.

It is not really an issue because of the relatively small amounts of cargo in NPC traders.  Player traders and fleet ships can be captured, so no issue if they are fully loaded.  Also, currently you can overload your ship with cargo as long as it is in one stack in the enemy hold.

53 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Now the bait thing I would love to see.  *HINT HINT PIRATES*  Where it says I'm in a trader snow in OW but when I tag you or you tag me than it changes to the proper ship in battle.

Deception that can't be seen through is kinda stupid false feature.

10 minutes ago, Christendom said:

So no coal for the US nation even though during this time period we were one of the largest producers (and still are unfortunately).  Ah the bias...

Not that it matters, but Britain produced much more coal than the united states at this time (1799?) and China currently produces more coal than the U.S. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining#United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coal_production (2011 data)

https://yearbook.enerdata.net/coal-and-lignite-production.html (2016 information on coal production. China still #1 (apply memes accordingly))

Edited by jblynch
added dates to coal production link. Added updated coal production link
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ironhammer500 said:

I mean increase supply of goods to make ships so they get consumed, so players will trade those  goods not the ones that dont effect ship building or production, atm people cba to build ships or do production because trade goods are better money, even with lots of weight now.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

We're not really shipbuilding yet, but I suspect there may be value in hauling teak. Possibly cedar (but players who understand ships stats better than me seem to reckon it's lost its edge), And, of course, there may be a market for hauling coal. If you can deliver coal to whatever the iron port is in Jamaica (I forget which) you could probably charge several times its base cost.

Whether you could sell enough to make it viable I'm not sure. The stranglehold on labour hours means crafters simply cannot consume that much in resources.

Seeded woods quantities I'll reserve judgement on till we can see how they pan out.

you know you can all still produce medium cannons with charcoal right? It's not like you're at a disadvantage there, especially with thickness and wood changes.

there is one small little spanish port just south of saint mary's easy to take for the global US? or trade? I don't know, it's what I would do.

EDIT: Denmark, Sweden, Dutch, they all also don't start with coal.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Teutonic said:

you know you can all still produce medium cannons with charcoal right? It's not like you're at a disadvantage there, especially with thickness and wood changes.

there is one small little spanish port just south of saint mary's easy to take for the global US? or trade? I don't know, it's what I would do.

If history has anything to tell us, it's that the Spanish on the PVP2 server are not that big. I am sure the US will have no difficulty in taking the east coast and Florida. 

19 minutes ago, jblynch said:

Not that it matters, but Britain produced much more coal than the united states at this time (1799?) and China currently produces more coal than the U.S. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining#United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coal_production (2011 data)

https://yearbook.enerdata.net/coal-and-lignite-production.html (2016 information on coal production. China still #1 (apply memes accordingly))

Please note I said  ONE OF THE LARGEST producers.  

17 minutes ago, akd said:

Do you know how much coal the Bahamas produces?

Difficult to actually find using googlefu.  Historically cuba had some and of course south america.  

4 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

EDIT: Denmark, Sweden, Dutch, they all also don't start with coal.

This is fine, but I am curious as to how the resource locations are chosen for distribution.  Doesn't seem like we're going for historical accuracy here.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I grew up in one of the largest coal production areas in the world, West By God Virginia.   And I can tell you that during its height WV produced almost 90 of the US coal, and helped the US become an economic power house during the early industrial era.  

The United States was the one of the largest exporters of 3 things in the early 19th century.

-Timber

-Coal

-Cotton

But we are looking for fun and balance not historical accuracy right? [/sarcasm]

I'm not denying the role that coal playing in shaping early/middle american history even though it wasn't until 1836 that coal mines really got anyone's attention. Coal up until then was produced mainly in Ohio. But steering back to the topic, at the time coal production in the United States was not only minuscule but unnecessary. Britain mined a majority of the coal that was needed but (from my very limited understanding) coal was really only used to warm homes, where wood/charcoal would have been cheaper and more practical. 

Edited by jblynch
expanded on postition