Game-Labs Forum

[crafting] Wood and trim modifiers [Patch 11.0]

Just now, George Washington said:

Thing is , you can eliminate and even have +1 speed with  Caguairan + Teak , all you  loose is only -1 acceleration. 

Which effects your turning through the wind.  And turning in general.  It doesnt effect the turning speed (degrees per second) but it affects how your ship handles through the turn.   It will feel sluggish compared to a ship that is better accelerating.   This makes a difference when moving for a raking shot or when trying to run down someone.  

10 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Which effects your turning through the wind.  And turning in general.  It doesnt effect the turning speed (degrees per second) but it affects how your ship handles through the turn.   It will feel sluggish compared to a ship that is better accelerating.   This makes a difference when moving for a raking shot or when trying to run down someone.  

What if we use it on frigates? more maneuverable ships that already have good speed and turn? I get your point though. Less acceleration = more speed needed when flipping through the wind, ex. Teak/Teak Wasa requires 8 knots to seamlessly flip through the wind and remain 4 knots on exit. So, the rule of thumbs is 4 or more knots over desired exit speed.

Not sure about other woods, will test it out. Also, do we have any acceleration mods in game yet? 

Edited by George Washington

19 minutes ago, George Washington said:

What if we use it on frigates? more maneuverable ships that already have good speed and turn? I get your point though. Less acceleration = more speed needed when flipping through the wind, ex. Teak/Teak Wasa requires 8 knots to seamlessly flip through the wind and remain 4 knots on exit. So, the rule of thumbs is 4 or more knots over desired exit speed.

Not sure about other woods, will test it out. Also, do we have any acceleration mods in game yet? 

I mainly use frigates or 6th rates.   And even on those if you build it to heavy of a build you wont be able to do a lot of things.  Like my Reno, I can stay glued to most larger rated ships stern pretty easily with its current build.  And if things go poorly I can easily disengage by turning away and accelerating to max speed before they can even bring their guns to bear. 

As for acceleration mods, I think Copper plating effects your drag coefficient which effects your acceleration and deceleration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Looks terrific George, I really like it and it's very readable so mission accomplished.

I keep saying that Sabicu is a well rounded wood to build ships, this highlights it nicely.  I have 2 Connies all sabicu and they perform nicely.  I feel like this wood is underused.

I personally view Teak/Teak better than Sab/Sab - but I suppose that's because i value the higher speed bonus over the HP/Tank bonus.

11 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

I personally view Teak/Teak better than Sab/Sab - but I suppose that's because i value the higher speed bonus over the HP/Tank bonus.

My next Connie build is going to be exactly that.  I'll see how it goes.  ;)  I have enough parts crafted to build about 9 of them, just haven't done it yet.

7 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

My next Connie build is going to be exactly that.  I'll see how it goes.  ;)  I have enough parts crafted to build about 9 of them, just haven't done it yet.

I run teak teak, and not so impressed, I think I need better mods to test it better. 

Edited by George Washington