Game-Labs Forum

The Port Battle Blockade Idea

Scroll to the bottom of the thread and read 1.02...

Admin & Ink,  

The Port Battle Better Local Impact Mechanic Idea 

Port Battle Idea that tries to reflect the local impact prior and post battle. I don't even think it would take much extra coding, but would focus all players of any Nation on a single battle. In the time of war down the ages either at the theater point or along the armies march the local prices of goods and services rocketed and labor shortages rampant. This then just as quickly collapses post battle even with a new over lord.  

I will assume in the future (however the Port Battle is triggered) we will still have a two to three day build up window prior to battle on whatever server.  

Imagine Timeline Events  

Port Battle is triggered - 46 hours or count down timer starts. 

The Local Port will instantly feel the effects of an imminent clash.

In the Port UI under the Shop Tab.  All AI Bid & Ask Prices will increase by 25%. The bid quantity demanded increased by 25%. The Ask amount for sale will decrease by 25%. This reflects the local shops having shelves emptied and prices sky rocket.  Any PC contract offers below the new bid would be completed at the contract offer price.

In the Ships tab, all AI Ships for sale will see their prices increase by 25%. The amount of AI ships available will decrease by 25%. The mission tab under Delivery missions. Contracts with Goods to deliver to the Port that’s completed within the Port Battle window will see that trader receive a 25% Gold bonus. 

The Craft Tab, all crafting from Iron Ingots to a complete Victory build will suffer a 25% increase in Labor Hours needed. Again, this reflects chronic man power shortages common in these situations.  

Server Restart…  

24 hours

Server Restart,

the actual day of the Port Battle.  Replace 25% with 50% as above. This is the Panic escalation by the local community. 

Port Battle Takes place and ends. 

Server Restart,

sees all prices return to normal values prior to the trigger.

Outcome Expected…. 

I think if you see the PB trigger and want to off load resources or materials at an inflated price you’d load up the LGV or Indiaman and go for it. If it’s an enemy port Smuggler tag (mechanic) needed etc.

If you’re the attacker, you can guess over the next two days a lot of Player Trade ships (with full cargo) are going to try and enter the port. In fact, if you are a Ganker or just the opportunist well its worth a look…

This reflects the Blockade of the Port. So, it’s not just a Port Battle anymore but prior to it a load of smaller skirmishes. The Timer was 3 days instead of 2 well it would be more tempting to run the blockade. This is a lot more interesting than Night Flipping right ….? 

Anyway, it’s just an idea over a bottle of red. If you think its rubbish let me know, and if you’ve a better idea likewise…

Thanks for reading,

Norfolk nChance.    

changed the name to make it less cluncky

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 6

It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it fits with player-driven-only economy. Which is what we are supposed to get after the wipe. When most goods are not sold or purchased by NPC, then players determine the prices, and they cannot be engineered to increase by 25% like you suggest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Costs of extraction of resources may.

Only reinforcing the point that you shouldn't build production in border regions though. Most people who make that consideration will not be affected.

25 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Costs of extraction of resources may.

I know contracts have only 15 day life span, but one thing I think if a port excanges hands the contract should be lost.  This will keep folks for making to big of a contract or trying to over price every one to either keep the resources from them or get every last one before the port is lost.  And I mean the contract and all goods gather are just that lost.  This will mean you have to get in that port and get your goods befroe the battle and maybe get them out.  I also think all buildings should be wipped when a port exchanges hand along with what was in them.  The only thing safe is your warehouse.  This would mean hitting very economy important regions/ports can hurt a nation bad, but that means folks will be more willing to fight and protect it.  If you don't want the risk than keep all your production back at home capital region.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:

It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it fits with player-driven-only economy. Which is what we are supposed to get after the wipe. When most goods are not sold or purchased by NPC, then players determine the prices, and they cannot be engineered to increase by 25% like you suggest. 

But if production costs go up either because of less LH available or production facility output falls, then players would probably want to raise prices.

Now whether any would take the time to figure it out is a different story but I bet crafters/traders would.

• Like 3

thanks for the replies guys,    

[Anolytic] I just read your PB removal thread. A lot of work compared to my shabby, poorly worded script.   

The one thing I will fiercely disagree with, Dev's or players alike is if you think you can have a player only driven economy you are absolutely wrong. You can have a very driven player economy but that's it. At some point, you will need the NPC overlay to restrict or supply goods services or coin. I replied in a thread about renaming gold ore and I talk about currency there. A free market economy cannot work in real life, at some point one needs Government overlays... NA is just the same   

The closest game to achieve this is guest... EvE Online. Yet this mmo suffers from huge Dev overlays. This even has PLEX, which is a value card that can be bought with real money and converted into Isk (eve currency). Isk can buy PLEX in the market and the PLEXs can be used to offset monthly game subscriptions. We’ll see something like this in Naval Action Legends, it makes sense.

My OP forces attention from all players of any Nation, because greed tugs at most player emotions. By driving prices rapidly higher very quickly and then returning them to a steady state, we or YOU know that Bid will not be there in 48hours. This is quite different from Compass Wood bids of 1,500 remember?  

Delivery contracts, massive earning potential. Clan supported convoy’s, dawn traders, and any player SOLO, Trader or Ganker can make money….

[The Red Duke]

The PB currently is broken because the only risk as a defender in the port you run is getting screened prior to entry. The costs of everything goes up from Whores to Iron Ingots in real life… 

Look at the blockades of Cadiz, prior to Trafalgar. You already know the state of the French and Spanish seaman that definitely contributed to the lost and Nelson’s Victory. Blockades happened and they worked.  

[SirTexas] 

I agree with your points on port capture, but I think the building, shipyards and workshops should be reduced all back to level 1 instead of destroyed. Contracts and the funds or goods I agree lost. 

I just thought tapping in to the Human emotions of Fear & Greed would focus player’s attentions from Carebear to Ganker alike…

• Like 2

I only pointed to the player-only-driven economy because it needs to be clear that your proposal presumes a system that is different from what we appear to be getting after the wipe. To your actual points, while I think that some of the details of your suggestion needs to be thought through more, I do think that the general concept is both interesting and based on sound logic.

To your point about player-driven economy I do not want to commit either way. I wish to test the economy that devs have prepared for us, but I am not convinced that in the long run we won't need more NPC input to affect the dynamic of the economy. At that point your suggestion is worth looking into as part of that input (of course that does not mean I want to dismiss your proposal until such a time or don't want to discuss and explore your proposal already now given the prerequisites).

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 3

[Anolytic] 

If you've any suggestions to improve the idea all ears...

I agree, will watch and look closely at the new economy and maybe Admin can teach this "Old Economist Dog" a new trick or two. 

The Gold Ore thread I mention earlier. I'll write the notes and post the example. The idea will allow the Dev's to "TWEAK" and can remain fairly low touch if you like. Its based basically on 3 currency and the need to use local currency to buy goods in local ports. They the Dev's can adjust the 3 fx rates as they see fit. This balancing act will be less problematic than probably what we've seen.

Norfolk

(amazed what ideas come from a bottle of French red..)

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

[Anolytic] 

If you've any suggestions to improve the idea all ears...

I agree, will watch and look closely at the new economy and maybe Admin can teach this "Old Economist Dog" a new trick or two. 

The Gold Ore thread I mention earlier. I'll write the notes and post the example. The idea will allow the Dev's to "TWEAK" and can remain fairly low touch if you like. Its based basically on 3 currency and the need to use local currency to buy goods in local ports. They the Dev's can adjust the 3 fx rates as they see fit. This balancing act will be less problematic than probably what we've seen.

Norfolk

(amazed what ideas come from a bottle of French red..)

You should drink more, amazing ideas i agree, tbh the devs should hire you just for your ideas alone!

Edited by Captain146
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This idea needs to be looked at in a aspect of making Port Battles as being more dynamic....it gives the PBs more life in a sense and more tactical thoughts will come in to play on how to deal with the PB for defense and attack.....I really like this idea and hope the Devs can give it some thought.

• Like 1

The Port Battle Blockade Idea 1.02

A couple of tweaks now make things workable.

Port Battle BLOCKADE Idea that tries to reflect the local impact prior and post battle. I don't even think it would take much extra coding, but would focus all players of any Nation on a single battle. In the time of war down the ages either at the theater point or along the armies march the local prices of goods and services rocketed and labor shortages rampant. This then just as quickly collapses post battle even with a new over lord.  

I will assume in the future (however the Port Battle is triggered) we will still have a two to three day build up window prior to battle on whatever server.   RAIDs if introduced also needs a think.

The Imagined Timeline

Port Battle is triggered     

The countdown timer is started. This is 3 days to the Battle

The Local Port (LP) will instantly feel the effects of an imminent clash.

Local Shop Prices

In the Port UI under the Shop Tab.  All AI Bid & Ask Prices will increase by 25%. The bid quantity demanded increased by 25%. The Ask amount for sale will decrease by 25%. This reflects the local shops having shelves emptied and prices sky rocket.

Local Ships for Sale

In the Ships tab, all AI Ships for sale will see their prices increase by 25%. The amount of AI ships available will decrease by 25%.

Delivery Contracts To LP

The mission tab under Delivery missions. Contracts with Goods to deliver to the LP that’s completed within the Port Battle window will see that trader receive a 25% Gold bonus.  In any other port that is offering a goods delivery contract to the LP that contract will appear in RED also on the front UI page right upper side just before your Gold amount will display “$$$”. This showing a high value contract is available from this port going to an LP.  

Local Crafting

The Craft Tab, all crafting from Iron Ingots to a complete Victory build will suffer a 25% increase in Labor Hours needed. Again, this reflects chronic man power shortages common in these situations.    

The Attacking Nation

The Attacker here needs a nerf offset. So, in the LP all contracts are “FROZEN”. They cannot trade or be cancelled. They become unlocked post battle on server restart. Any PC with the same Nation status who’s in the PL at Trigger POINT will be “Detained”.

Think about it, rounding up foreign nationals when war is declared. This PC is basically “FROZEN” and the player cannot access him. The PC will be released Post Battle Server Restart win lose or draw. Stops the attacker taking advantage of the local price spike.

Server Stops/Server Restarts

24 hours

This is the actual day of the Port Battle.

Replace 25% with 50% as above. This is the Panic escalation by the local community. 

The Port Battle Takes place and Ends.

All Shop, Ship and Delivery Contract prices return to pre-trigger prices and quantities.

The Labor Hours also return back to normal.

All PC Contracts placed are now “Un-FROZEN” and are live working.

All Foreign Nationals are released no matter the PB outcome.

If the Attacker was successful in taking the LP. All other Nation Buildings Shipyards Workshops or Farms are reduced to Level 1. Any warehouse will remain un-touched.

Outcome Expected

I think if you see the PB trigger and want to off load resources or materials at an inflated price you’d load up the LGV or Indiaman and go for it. If it’s an enemy port Smuggler tag (mechanic) needed etc.

If you’re the attacker, you can guess over the next two days a lot of Player Trade ships (with full cargo) are going to try and enter the port. In fact, if you are a Ganker or just the opportunist well its worth a look…

This reflects the Blockade of the Port. So, it’s not just a Port Battle anymore but prior to it a load of smaller skirmishes. The Timer was 3 days instead of 2 well it would be more tempting to run the blockade. This is a lot more interesting than Night Flipping right ….? 

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions. Please keep them coming. I really would like Ink and Admin to look at this idea…

Norfolk nChance

(Still amazed at ideas coming post a bottle of French Red Wine)

• Like 1