Game-Labs Forum

Typos and Awkward Phrasing

Would be worth fixing the typos in the 'pop ups' when trying to use the Forged Papers:

1. Replace 'selection' with 'selected' - 1st. screenshot
  2. delete 'to' - 2nd. screenshot
  3. Replace 'You must to abandone outposts with non free town nation' with 'You must abandon all your outposts in national ports. You can keep outposts in Free Towns.' - 3rd. screenshot

I know I am being pedantic, I cannot help it :)

pop1.thumb.jpg.608e2c97d5924fd196b203b339d85366.jpgp2.thumb.jpg.e0d43e7a395b95830be6fbcb77fd0ae7.jpgp3.thumb.jpg.e1a31da1329bb95b2258efea57308d32.jpg

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 3

Someone (I forget who) posted elsewhere that Stone Mine should be Stone Quarry. They are of course correct. While you do get stone mines (underground), this is only for for special kinds of high value stone, not ship's ballast.

NavyBrig and BellePoule are missing spaces, at least in the blueprint name. You might also consider inserting a space before the bracket in Mortar - 308pd(13inch)

As an engineer I hate seeing numbers and units without a space between them, and as an Englishman pound (mass) is abbreviated lb. 12pd isn't wrong, but I'd much prefer to see it written 12 lb :).

• Like 1

It would make more sense to write No perks selected.

.20170523191235_1.jpg.374b7138b7625fddfda99dc53509dd2c.jpg

Edit, lookimg through the perks:

• Mortar Officer. Description does not start with a capital lettler (others do). Mortar
  • Defense Drill is American spelling (nothing wrong with that) but Naval Action mostly uses British spellings. Defence.
  • Area Control. Description is poorly phrased. It currently reads 'Disable button Leave Battle in distance 750 for all players'. I'm not sure what the best alternative is. How about 'Disables Leave Battle button for all players within 750m'
    Is it all players, though? All enemy players, perhaps.
  • Emergency Master. Description begins 'Reduce'. While not wrong, other Battle perk descriptions phrased this way use 3rd person singular present rather than the base form of the verb. Reduces.
    All economy amd fleet perks use the base form (except Shipyard conections and Hold optimization which don't use a verb). Perhaps you should standardise. Or maybe not. No one will notice :)
  • Expert Carpenter. Okay, I'm being really picky here, but the description might read better as '+5% repair to hull per repair kit'
  • Fleet Control: In the description you write Increase, so you don't need the + sign.
Edited by Remus
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When the game crashes, as it does to me frequently when going into battle. (Grrrrr)

Should say:

"Please Wait To Finish Sending Crash Reports" 

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 1

Nothing to do specifically with the hotfixes, but still a spelling (or rather language) error that has bugged me for quite a while:

Not even sure if the Pavel still is in the game, but the name "St. Pavel" is a mix of English and Russian. It should either be "Sv. Pavel" (Svyatoi/Sviatoi Pavel) or "St. Paul" to stick to one language.

Edited by Inkompetent
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2017 at 3:35 PM, Powderhorn said:

Hey all, in the latest hotfix notes, a couple of you have mentioned typos or things otherwise awkwardly phrased.  I fear they'll get lost in the bustle, so instead, could you post them here?

Two minor things which irritate me:

• When exiting port and clicking on another ship, you see the message 'You can't attack him for x more seconds'
    While not wrong, English is fraught with problems where gender and number are concerned. Players may be male or female and if it is an NPC it may be one ship (traditionally 'her') or a fleet. Fortunately, the 'him' does not appear to be specific (you cannot attack any ship, not just this particular one), so it can be omitted.
    'You can't attack for x more seconds'
  • When looking at contracts in the the shop, each has the message 'Contract will be expired in x days'
    This too isn't wrong - it's the passive voice - but it strongly suggests some external agent coming along in x days' time to kill the contract, rather than the contract expiring all by itself when it reaches the end of its 15 day lifespan.
    'Contract will expire in x days'

Not typos, but since I am here, can you put hull repairs, rig repairs and rum in the Consumables category in the shop? The first two are in materials and rum is in resources>food. They are in the Consumables category in the Craft menu.

• Like 1

NA-006.thumb.jpg.7013e87701333b6471ea7fd5c39c916d.jpg

By the way, thank you for adding this warning.

Many a beginner lost money/cargo leaving a port without an Outpost, which was quite frustrating. Especially at the early stages of the game, when a player is painstakingly trying to build some funds and get his/her Naval Action world going.

So again, thank you.

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

NA-006.thumb.jpg.7013e87701333b6471ea7fd5c39c916d.jpg

By the way, thank you for adding this warning.

Many a beginner lost money/cargo leaving a port without an Outpost, which was quite frustrating. Especially at the early stages of the game, when a player is painstakingly trying to build some funds and get his/her Naval Action world going.

So again, thank you.

Does it really say 'Are you sure you ready to leave port?'? It would be nice to have a verb:
'Are you sure you are ready to leave port?'

Also, the similar warnings about 'Hull Repairs items', 'Rig Repairs items' and 'Rum items' would read a lot better if they were simply 'Hull Repairs', 'Rig Repairs' and Rum'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What kind of person goes round correcting peoples grammar? Eh? eh? :)

But here goes anyway:

When you leave port you get the onscreen message:

"You can't attack and be attacked for x seconds"

This is incorrect English, it needs to be:

EITHER:

1. "You can't attack, nor can you be attacked, for x seconds"

(This one is the gold standard but more formal and uses 'nor' which is a bit old fashioned now I think)

OR:

2. "You can't attack, or be attacked, for x seconds"

(This one is the clearest for most people probably)

There is also:

3. "You can't attack and you can't be attacked, for x seconds"

(a bit clunky perhaps, but not wrong)

But the existing: "You can't attack and be attacked for x seconds" is horrible

NB: The use of commas makes things clearer but is not an absolute rule

I will be checking after the next update that it has been changed  (and that the Santa Celia blueprint has been deposited in my warehouse) :)

11 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

I will be checking after the next update that it has been changed  (and that the Santa Celia blueprint has been deposited in my warehouse) :)

Good luck with that, mate.

Oh, and I hate to be pedantic, but it's the Cecilia, not Celia. Sorry to be a pain. :)

Love and hugs,

M G

Edited by M G
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

I wouldn't know I've never sailed one :(

Much as I don't like to blow ones own trumpet, I have to annoy you even more by telling you I had two. And they had furry dice. And a very charming tea set to boot.

They did them sailings pritty gud 2. U no dey had amazaballs close hauled sailinz abiliteez, innit. Random.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...