Game-Labs Forum
admin

Information on the forthcoming patch to live servers.

1 hour ago, admin said:

We are struggling with this decision. We initially wanted to make it cost X pve marks based on captain's level. But still did not have a lot of time to think it through. 

I was assuming the reasoning behind this was to keep people in their controlled area. So someone doesn't tp from freetown to freetown harassing everyone using it. I thought it was to make way for the flag system again(since you have to buy one from a national port).

3 hours ago, admin said:

We are struggling with this decision. We initially wanted to make it cost X pve marks based on captain's level. But still did not have a lot of time to think it through. 

How about unlimited teleports per day with cost increase bar.  

1st free

2nd 5k

3rd 15k

4th 30k

5th 50k

6th 1 MOT

7th 2 MOT

etc... P.S. good work on patch. 

----------

• Recently killed flag is not given if you were sank by NPC

So, if a new player sunk by and NPC and then sunk again by a Player because he had no recently killed flag what do you think will happen? You are allowing seal clubbin here. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 1

This patch is based on the assumption that making every single thing in the game more difficult (and/or more expensive or/and more time consuming) than it was before will make a lot of people (in particular the so called "hardcore" kind of player) come back to the game in PVP servers.

Wrong or right, we will know only when it will be released on live servers.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, victor said:

This patch is based on the assumption that making every single thing in the game more difficult (and/or more expensive or/and more time consuming) than it was before will make a lot of people (in particular the so called "hardcore" kind of player) come back to the game in PVP servers.

Wrong or right, we will know only when it will be released on live servers.

Full economy needs to see the live server for sure as it cannot be compared to previous versions.

23 minutes ago, Pagan Pete said:

Wrong. WRONG! (Trump voice) The Devs are doing the correct thing, Quality over deadline. It is ready when it is ready. All good things come to those who wait. A stitch in time, saves nine. The delays may seem annoying, but delays because the Devs are actively listening and bug-hunting. 

[_]p Atta boy, Devs!:)

Pagan Trump is 100% correct!

i want to play now but I realize the importance of debugging and testing getting it right. 

Keep up excellent work devs. 

Hefty looking patch @admin.  Looks pretty good.  

Any ballpark idea how you're going to spread reseources and regional trims around?  "Historically" is the term you use and historically live oak was found from NC to Texas.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Any ballpark idea how you're going to spread reseources and regional trims around?  

About resources: Did you check the testbed? It's all there.

13 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

1. What about raids? Pirates cannot craft SOLs now, they are just becoming more and more useless and pointless nation while they still remain a valid nation that is forced to participate in RvR. Pirates will just lose lots of ports, because they cannot compete in PBs normally. Raids aren't done yet. Devs had to get this patch out quick. Look at the server pop. Where did they post anything about Pirates cannot craft SOL's?

2. Still no information about PB timers, about server location, about network improvements? Global server shouldn't be "global" just in the name of it. Of course it will be in the US. It's Global server.

3. Aw, cool! So instead of 5 lives we get 1 life (that's fine), but in the same time, it will be much more expensive to craft the ships, right, huh? So we are back to being scared of losing a ship, escaping, fleeing, running away, camping and zeging in huge groups for sake of safeness. 1 dura is how it should be. 1 ship 1 life. On TB they lowed the labor hours on a lot of the sub-components. It'll work out fine.

4. Why fully remove TP to capital? That was something that could bring players together for some action... Everyone could at any time group at capital for some operation, defense and so on. At this time... welcome lonely sailing, solo-action... You want to fix 1 problem (having to sail again to area from which you teleported) and you create another problems with one fixed... Allow both options, nearest deep water port (friendly) and capital. Bring us the freedom of choice.Why get a free TP across the map. You travel to a region you can travel back. No more easy mode.

5. Why force us to make stupid grind of ships? I mean... We were told we need to master / grind just our favorite ships and now it turns to be a ladder of ships we need to get through... Hello grind, my old friend... I see nothing of this in the notes. Just because it's on testbed doesn't mean it will make it to live servers.

@admin, lots of good changes and 95% good news. Especially loved your end of battle screen removal, teleport from battle removal and kick out into OW. THANK YOU!
The rest of 5% is somewhat a worry until we have more people back in and test properly.

The following things do worry me:

2 hours ago, admin said:
  • Resource transport between free towns removed
  • Ship transport between outposts removed
  • Teleport to freetown removed.
  • Outpost to outpost transport is now only available between national towns.
  • Tow to capital replaced by tow to port - which sends you to the nearest deep water port - this is done to allow players living in distant areas from the capital to have unstuck that does not send them across the map (forcing them to sail back).

So there is no easy way to get around anymore. So we are going full on EVE style which is totally fine, because this essentially increases the size of the map. The worry question is that for this to work local areas needs to be more concentrated with content.

I don't think you can expect players to be active on the entire map and not being able to teleport/send stuff across. This means that activities will become more or less of a local character. For example Pirates living around Mortimer need to have more going on for them between Baracoa, St Nicholas and Turks. This way they could live and and play sailing and protecting local waters. Have you got anything like that planned at all?

2 hours ago, admin said:

Recently killed tracker added to game. Players who recently lost the battle (sank or surrendered) no longer give rewards for 1 hour. This solves a number of problems with pvp rewards farming

That's good. Can we please have an extension to this in form of a orange circle on the map that last for 1 hour and shows recently happened PVP hostilities. Having this information will greatly assist the above removal of teleports allowing players to sail for a purpose and not waste their time sailing for nothing, looking for nothing.

2 hours ago, admin said:

From now on All NPC ships cannot be captured on the PVP server

I understand what your goal is (to push crafting etc), however in my opinion this will greatly punish the new player. The player who doesn't get past the Brig.
You could achieve same need for crafting by making NPC ships having limitations. For a new guy its gonna be an upgrade to his old ship, but for any PVP player he still will be crafting or buying player made ships for proper PVP bonuses.

2 hours ago, admin said:

Invisibility added when exiting battles under following conditions

Kicking players out of battle into OW is great. But why invisibility?.. Let us kill and be killed. Trust me this will buy you more players than carebear carrying mechanics, get out of jail cards and magic teleports (thanks god those are GONE!).

2 hours ago, admin said:

It now takes some time to destroy stacks of resources in your cargo. This will allow privateers to get some cargo if they tag the trader in time. You can only destroy one stack in 25 seconds

Have you fixed or planning to fix speed in the OW? Specifically when different speed setups of a same ship types have different speed in instance, but in the open world faster ship have little chances of catching up. Example. Teak reno is still too fast in OW (considering the increased speed) and Bermuda reno cant catch up with it between the ports.
In short ship setups that work properly needs to have reflective speed in the OW too.

2 hours ago, admin said:

Forts and towers were significantly buffed

Is this in Instance or OW? I hope this is in instance as it was required. However what is your plans about all these coastal defences everywhere and huge fleets that actrually prevent pvp?

Again, thank you for your work! We are looking forward to patch on Live server and to test it properly. I will text all my friends with the news and try to get them all back.
Cheers

Just now, Cornelis Tromp said:

About resources: Did you check the testbed? It's all there.

In their current live server iteration you mean.  Last time I was on test bed they were the same as live.  His patch notes hint at redistribution, I'm asking about that.  

9 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Any ballpark idea how you're going to spread reseources and regional trims around?  "Historically" is the term you use and historically live oak was found from NC to Texas.  

its coming this week. (blueprints for the regional trims)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Christendom said:

In their current live server iteration you mean.  Last time I was on test bed they were the same as live.  His patch notes hint at redistribution, I'm asking about that.  

Testbed has changed. Significantly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:
  • Antigriefing is now based on curve - not on fixed number (old number 5x). The paramteter changes based on the amount of ships in the pull zone. If you want to attack a large organized fleet you will have to have a lot of ships too. Solo line ship can be attacked by a very small force.

I am fine with the most points and can at least accept some of them i am not so happy with.

But this one brings me into trouble. Does the marked part means that a group of players with bigger numbers are forced to split when attacking a solo line ship? Do some of the players stay outside? If yes, i am very pissed. NEVER split a group of! It will be hard to organize a group of players starting from a specific location at a specific time, then sailing much miles as fleet and then split of and the poor guys who cant join the battle needs to wait, sail around as splitted part of he group or sail back home to end the disappointed evening.

• Like 1

If all are in the Attack circle everyone will be in battle. We tested this.

1 minute ago, Sven Silberbart said:

I am fine with the most points and can at least accept some of them i am not so happy with.

But this one brings me into trouble. Does the marked part means that a group of players with bigger numbers are forced to split when attacking a solo line ship? Do some of the players stay outside? If yes, i am very pissed. NEVER split a group of! It will be hard to organize a group of players starting from a specific location at a specific time, then sailing much miles as fleet and then split of and the poor guys who cant join the battle needs to wait, sail around as splitted part of he group or sail back home to end the disappointed evening.

no this antigriefing protection locks only apply to the weaker side. Stronger side can attack anyone including solo ships with no limits. 

Thanks admin! This looks great. I cannot wait to test this on the live server after the wipe. The new changes look really solid. They will certainly improve the game.

I suspect one possible exploit though.

3 hours ago, admin said:

Tow to nearest deep water port do not check the hold weight any more

3 hours ago, admin said:

Port battle entry is only allowed 30 mins after login at sea. This penalty can be dropped if you enter any port. If you log off at sea and login within 5 mins (disconnects etc) you don’t get that penalty

Unless I am mistaken, these two mechanics could be exploited by an aggressive port battle fleet. To take an example: Say someone is attacking Bermuda. They could sail their fleet  little over half way there. They sail a bit extra east to make sure the region capital is their closest regional port. They log off at sea. In the middle of the ocean. 30 minutes before the port battle they log in again, and they just wait in open sea for the 30 min cooldown to disappear. 2 minutes before the PB starts, they all at the same time "tow to nearest port". They will then be teleported to just outside the capital of Bermuda, can sail out to the edge of the circle for entry to the PB, and enter the PB. Basically allowing them to teleport straight to a PB without possibility to screen them or stop them.

To prevent this exploit, "tow to capital" needs to renew your 30 minutes cooldown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

I think that teleport between national ports should be practically free and without time limits.

If you can't teleport between ports, you can't check your warehouses in other ports without sailing. It would also be practical that you can craft some material for someone who wants to have full cargo before sailing. If you have to sail from port to port for this kind of maintenance work, many (perhaps most) players will stay near the capital and never create new outposts farther away.

If there is a price for these teleports, many people will have a small fast ship for moving between nearby outposts. I think this will not generate pvp, because players know that these fast ships are difficult to catch and probably empty. Then, if you are in KPR, check Port Morant would take extra 10-15 minutes, which you could use for real trade runs or sailing war ships.

I'm sure you know all this better than I do (you have the data from servers) and will make informed decision.

• Like 1

Since we still only have 5 building slots and we have now a workshop building in addition to the shipyard, would it be possible to add more slots for building?

Also I tried to sell silver a Point a Pitre and discovered that I couldn't sell more than one at a time... If I try to change the number it's stuck to 1 while I have 32 in storage. I checked with iron and it's the same problem.

2 minutes ago, Blackbrook said:

I think that teleport between national ports should be practically free and without time limits.

If you can't teleport between ports, you can't check your warehouses in other ports without sailing. It would also be practical that you can craft some material for someone who wants to have full cargo before sailing. If you have to sail from port to port for this kind of maintenance work, many (perhaps most) players will stay near the capital and never create new outposts farther away.

If there is a price for these teleports, many people will have a small fast ship for moving between nearby outposts. I think this will not generate pvp, because players know that these fast ships are difficult to catch and probably empty. Then, if you are in KPR, check Port Morant would take extra 10-15 minutes, which you could use for real trade runs or sailing war ships.

I'm sure you know all this better than I do (you have the data from servers) and will make informed decision.

He was just talking about teleporting to/from freetowns.

I would like to echo the question why not let us know earlier that you are not going to make your self imposed deadline for the Wipe?  We understand you want to get things right and that is great but why do you always wait till the last possible second to let us know a dead line is going to be missed. I find it hard to believe you thought it would happen yesterday.  My guess is you knew Friday or sooner,so if you know its not going to happen let us know its not going to happen.  Why wait till the scheduled day to say "Oh yeah we need more time" 

I am not upset it got pushed back I want it to be right too,I am upset that you refuse to let us know earlier that the wipe is going to be postponed. That is all we are asking when you realize its not going to happen on time let us know then not at the last minute. 

• Like 3

Lol please make sure you delay at least 24hrs, only approx 150xp off of lvl 50 crafter.......

Been on a lot on test bed and it is going to make things interesting, the only slight doubt I have is the ship knowledge grind, as in with the progression tree, can understand grinding out the slots on a particular ship class, if you want the 5 upgrade slots. But having to grind 3 or 4 ships to unlock a 3rd on another.

There was also talk that the grind split depending on what ships you wanted, as ABCD to get SOL, but not if you were heading for say a Connie. But haven't seen any more about it , or a reliable tree if folk want to focus, a lot of time is needed and would be frustrating to say the least to find you have ground out ship knowledge in the wrong direction.

Good list of changes and I eagerly wait for the ultimate live server wipe patch. 

It's been a while but I can say it again, good job @admin. Time to prepare for glory.

Edited by Teutonic