Game-Labs Forum
admin

Information on the forthcoming patch to live servers.

It is ok if it takes some time, nothing against that.

Was it like 8 months? from the first time devs said that there is going to be a ship wipe. Players decided to take a break, as ship wipe was coming in 2-3 months or so.  Basically informing all the time that a wipe is coming soon, makes people to stop playing. Which is a bit boring if you actually want to play.

Someone bought the game in these months, logged on empty server... Maybe not the best marketing.

Maybe we can agree that there is room for improvement?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

It is ok if it takes some time, nothing against that.

Was it like 8 months? from the first time devs said that there is going to be a ship wipe. Players decided to take a break, as ship wipe was coming in 2-3 months or so.  Basically informing all the time that a wipe is coming soon, makes people to stop playing. Which is a bit boring if you actually want to play.

Someone bought the game in these months, logged on empty server... Maybe not the best marketing.

Maybe we can agree that there is room for improvement?

This.

As a person who did join recently, this is the problem that strikes me as the biggest with the way the wipe has been handled up until now.

The result of announcing the wipe before the patch was ready, or nearly ready, to implement, has resulted in a dismal server population, if I understand this correctly.

A certain level of pragmatism would have been wise, with notice given only when the patch was definitely ready for a scheduled release. Yes, some indignation at the lack of longer notice would be expressed by the player base, but their game-play quality would, up to that point, not be affected by the knowledge that all work was soon to be lost, outside of XP & CXP.

While the devs showed extraordinary concern for their players by giving such long advance notice, I cannot help but think they've shot themselves in the foot by doing so.

Having said that, I agree with others who say that the devs should take the time needed for a good implementation; this is by far the most practical approach. Next time, though, perhaps a little more pragmatism and consideration of the effect such a change makes to those who want to enjoy the game now. Maximum enjoyment of this brilliant game requires a strong community. A community has as a basic requirement just one thing; people, the more the merrier.

7 hours ago, Grundgemunkey said:

my only gripe with all this ..is the last major update was the last rerworking of port battles which was when last November ....seems to me they then took 4 months off until the annouinced the wipe and then have been trying squeeze everything in.... they are stil making changes ....the planned changes and most of the  work involved to make the changes should have been completed before the wipe and changes were even announced ... then put them on the test bed  to iron out the bugs .... seems to me they announced the wipe then started to rebuild the game over .. adding things as they go along ..no wonder they havent met any of the dates ..

golden rule of business make a plan of how your going to implement your plan ..

I think they just had to have a massive evaluation of the past year of development, because it was two steps forward one step backward for the biggest part of the year. They tried to please everyone, which is impossible, and instead of having more respect from the players they got less and less. And now they kinda made some critical decisions and sticked to it.

I think if you have determined where you want to go its easier to get there, then to just make it up along the way. So thats why I think they are able to implement so much at once, and I think it'll be the same going forward till release.

It is like you mentioned a bit frustrating to have a wipe anounced, and then have like 50% of the allready low player count stop playing the game for two months, cutting the fun for the people who are still playing the game. They should have been closer to actualy finishing the patch before anouncing the wipe, and then just two weeks in advance call out the wipe date and have all people just waste their ships in massive OW PvP for two weeks. And then have  a wipe. Would be less frustrating.

I also think that the current live version was a somewhat stable well playable version. As there were no specific frustrations people had to deal with (like with the fine woods). So it would not need urgent updates or fixes to keep the players happy. Giving them time to launch patches on testbed.

At this point, I myself have lost a bit of patience, and I hope the patch comes fast fast fast.

• Like 4

Ok i can understand everyone's frustration about the wipe taking a while, but people need to stop saying there being lazy and not doing anything, its very easy to judge someones job from the outside just remember every job takes time. Also im sure a lot of you would be even more upset if the wipe/patch went live and was full of issues just remember you can still play the game its not like you have no excess to the game at all, also i wish the dev's would be a little more pc about there comments to players as frustrating as some comments are to read, all in all the patch looks amazing some really interesting parts coming in and i hope it drags some more players in as the game is amazing now and the new content is a massive improvement, hopefully we get to experience it soon.

Edited by Scottyt

Compared to the time I spent in this game those 37 something € i spent are laughable. I wouldn't dare to demand anything, because the contract of "you may play earlier than release at your own risk" is overfulfilled. Everything else I might have suggested or critisized were under me being well aware of the unfinished state of the game. So there is no "admin you MUST do this"...there is NOT! Instead there is "id like to see this and that in the future".

The question if the PR handling is good or not never even crossed my mind, because I simply dont expect anything in EA phases of games.

Or another example: triple A game 60 bucks, average playtime 20 hours-ish...makes 3 $/hour.

I have hundreds of hours in NA.

Edited by Tyrdael
typos for loads.
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Tyrdael said:

Compared to the time I spent in this game to those 37 something € i spent are laughable. I wouldn't dare to demand anything, because the contract of you may play earlier then release at your own risk is over-fulfilled. Everything else I might have suggested or criticised were under me being well aware of the unfinished state of the game. So there is no "admin you MUST do this"...there is NOT! Instead there is "id like to see this and that in the future".

The question if the PR handling is good or not never even crossed my mind, because I simply don't expect anything in EA phases of games.

well said, (Sorry in advance Jeheil) but you put how people are acting so well in this i think there are few people on here that could learn a thing or two from this

8 hours ago, Hodo said:

Fact is that everyone HERE and THERE are paying or potential customers, all of which pay your bills.  Why should you treat those here with any less respect or common courtesy than you would those on Steam?   Could it be, because you DONT have ultimate control over what is said on Steam and are affraid of the massive backlash of the type of behavior you have exhibited here?  Or could it be that you honestly believe that people here are not trying to act in the best interest of this project?  

I believe you generalize too much here. The first rule on this forum is to treat everyone with respect. We do follow this rule. Delays happen and that is why we always say - expect the worst and all dates and times are not final. Saying that is not showing disrespect to anyone, patch delay is not and act of disrespect. Game development is not a highly predictable activity like driving a bus and even buses get late. 

And we do have FULL control on steam community forums. Having a hammer does not mean using it all the time. Steam platform is where players can fully express themselves (within things allowed by a steam eula). On this platform we want to promote constructive discussions that are useful for us and other forum members. Noise in feedback topics like "omg patch delayed devs are incompetent" has no value and will be removed from the feedback topics on this platform. By spreading such noise they are not acting in the best interest of the project, they just show disrespect to all community members who come here to help us to make the game better. 

• Like 24

12 minutes ago, admin said:

I believe you generalize too much here. The first rule on this forum is to treat everyone with respect. We do follow this rule. Delays happen and that is why we always say - expect the worst and all dates and times are not final. Saying that is not showing disrespect to anyone, patch delay is not and act of disrespect. Game development is not a highly predictable activity like driving a bus and even buses get late. 

And we do have FULL control on steam community forums. Having a hammer does not mean using it all the time. Steam platform is where players can fully express themselves (within things allowed by a steam eula). On this platform we want to promote constructive discussions that are useful for us and other forum members. Noise in feedback topics like "omg patch delayed devs are incompetent" has no value and will be removed from the feedback topics on this platform. By spreading such noise they are not acting in the best interest of the project, they just show disrespect to all community members who come here to help us to make the game better. 

That's it mate, you have been forth right all along.

Plus under promise and over deliver, I say.

I just wish you guys get rid of the Two Nations that wasn't really big in the area,.....Danish, and Swedes.

it would be a whole lot more fun if you did.

12 minutes ago, Aussie Pastor said:

That's it mate, you have been forth right all along.

Plus under promise and over deliver, I say.

I just wish you guys get rid of the Two Nations that wasn't really big in the area,.....Danish, and Swedes.

it would be a whole lot more fun if you did.

Even if this is true, I like that they add to the variety in difficulty. NA goes a pretty unusual way to determine the difficulty settings for ones game: choose the nation. :D

Swedes are probably the hardest regular nation to play, because they are not established forces like brits, murica or spain. Well, at least I don't mind. :)

UPDATE

We are planning to deploy the patch within before Friday 26th May. 

• Like 29

11 hours ago, Hodo said:

socially acceptable developer. 

Are your sensibilities really that tender or are you fighting for other people's imagined tender hearts? I've observed this other places as well; Hyper-sensivitity towards banter and terse remarks. Maybe it's a cultural thing? "Oh, no you didn't! You are a professional, if you deliver even one snide remark I'll have my moral outrage flare up so bright you'll be consumed by my holy wrath!"

Please let us not go there? Things become so boring and sterile if everything we hear from Game-Labs are cleansed through a bussiness ethics filter. Sure, we will have impeccable decorum but the free exchange of ideas and opinions won't flourish as much.

I like this better:

141nip.jpg

Some people might not get the reference, ask before you shoot.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, admin said:

UPDATE

Is that patch to testbed or wipe-patch to live servers?

Just now, Liquicity said:

Is that patch to testbed or wipe-patch to live servers?

THE patch :D 

Edited by rediii

24 minutes ago, admin said:

UPDATE

Awesome I have Friday off. Looks like servers will be packed. 

Edited by Ned Low
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, admin said:

UPDATE

Friday 5 pm GMT job done, I don't know what all the fuss is about. :) .

Weekend ship sinking time...

11 hours ago, Hodo said:

Dont believe me, ask Geoff "DOC" Evans how that worked out for him with WWII Online.

Erm.... I was just on WWIIOL last night, bombing Frenchies. Been a member since 2001. Game has been online now for 16 years. I'd say it's worked out pretty damn good.

41 minutes ago, admin said:

UPDATE

trying to get Friday off now.

6 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Not for DOC though.... as he is no longer part of the franchise.

Even then, he left in 2015. I'd still say 14 years is a damn good run. Same thing with GOPHUR.

Edited by Werewolf

3 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Actually longer than that, he was with CRS back in 1999.   But that project went through a lot of downs until he left, and now the new CRS is struggling to keep it alive and improve on it.  Where DOC refused to do things or acknowledge things were broken the new crew is fixing those problems.   But  this is not the place to discuss Cornered Rats Studios issues.  

Wasn't as bad as everyone thinks. I drink beer and fish with XOOMXOOM, have known him for years. The new crew is doing a great job, though. Anyways, you're right, it's neither here nor there. 

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

And I dont get your reference.

serB. Wargaming head that is, in orders of magnitude, "worse" than Game-Labs are being accused of. He did it shamelessly. It was glorious (Your mileage may vary).

1 hour ago, admin said:

UPDATE

Can't wait to sail again. :D 

Hopefully the Server won't crash on friday with all the traffic x'D 

38 minutes ago, jodgi said:

serB. Wargaming head that is, in orders of magnitude, "worse" than Game-Labs are being accused of. He did it shamelessly. It was glorious (Your mileage may vary).

LOL... oh, God. I forgot about serB. Biggest troll on the planet. Some of the things he has said on the secret blog are just..... wow. LOL