Game-Labs Forum
admin

Information on the forthcoming patch to live servers.

1 hour ago, koiz said:

.Stop providing external dates, provide progress updates but DO NOT PROVIDE DATES.

I've said this before, probably even multiple times idk.

As we apparently have started to give examples; Foxhole Pre-Alpha.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/506770/

http://www.foxholegame.com/

They have a blog which indicates numerous features they are working on; and by the look of the picture you know it's almost done (or atleast in-game / testing). As i remember correctly you guys also have (had) a blog, which hasn't really been used for over a year now (unfortunately) - except for the new patch info. It's a good way for anyone to keep track in since not everyone checks the official forum. Second of all; they offer community highlights. Not like you need to do this but it's a message towards your customers: hey i care... Not saying you guys don't because you listened more then enough to the community earlier on but there are loads of people out there (jeheil, Olav, Nielsvisser, SruPL, Taff In Exile, Liquicitizen Sili,...) making awesome content. Not even talking about steam pictures and such. Good thing is the magic moments post, for example. (:

http://www.strangeloopgames.com/eco/

While these guys do also have a dev blog, they are utilising it less frequently. Then again: i receive a mail from them once in a while (newsletter) which provides me with everything they have done so far and what is to come in the next update. I am a huge fan of this game; therefore i have builded a real-life restaurant in-game and made screenshots which i putted on the forum. Suprisingly enough i found the pictures on their official Facebook page and even in one of their newsletters which had an entire topic on the restaurant.

https://albiononline.com/en/news

Yet an other one of those 'underground' yet very good title. Same here: blog with news on things they are making and what is to come (with pictures) and a very well made community part which provides builds with certain weapons (NA: Builds for certain ship? Tactics?). Idea's are endless really and it's great to see. Also here; i got newsletters earlier on with updates of what's to come. Now, since they are crawling towards release that's pretty much over for now, but the blog is still going and providing everything you need, without having to search for it 'endlessly' through any kind of forum.

https://www.avorion.net/

Next up: Avorion is a wonderful space sim-ish, open world game. Yet again an outstanding developer who provides us with items they are working on, disregard any ETA or whatsoever. Prime example of how to share information towards your customers which makes them understand how long it takes to work on a feature (since most of us don't have a clue about development): http://steamcommunity.com/games/445220/announcements/detail/1289563758896893424

Look at the comments as well: happy customers saying thank you and such. It's not the NA doesn't deserve a thank you but you have to admit this ETA thing that has been going on for a very long time now and it isn't working as intended. If i order a pizza and you tell me you'll deliver it within half an hour, i expect it within half an hour. If not it's free (as they tell you) and a sorry from them. The NA pizza pretty much is very cold, doesn't taste that good anymore and we still didn't get any kind of sorry, just more complaining about everything (including myself now, hopefully for the last time).

The avorion developer literally explains us how he is fixing scrips to make the game better, again here: it's not all perfect... but they are trying to explain everything as much as they can (we aren't developers, we don't know anything). Instead on NA all we hear is everyone complaining about customers complaining (lol). And what's even worse: nothing is changing, it just keeps on going (see Jeheil's production: ep 60 on YT / forum). Can we please aknowledge we're all humans, we make mistakes (and complaints) and we need to go forward? i've found it weird you guys are always comparing yourself towards other companies. Same with the 'talking about a review' post (the negative review thing): comparing yourself towards ETS because you have more ships in-game then they have trucks (literally your own words). You're not Valve, you're not SCS Software, you're Game-labs. Stick to that and improve yourself, look around and learn accordingly. We've been standing still too many times now, let's reset and go on.

It's not about giving them a break; but if you make a "promise" (an ETA), you have to deliver. And YES an ETA is only an estimation but most people see a date, which indicates it needs to come on that particular time. Especially for those who work; i can imagine they need to ask for a day off earlier on instead of me being a college student who can take a day off whenever he wants (minus exams lol). If i order a pizza, they tell me it'll be delivered within half an hour (ETA). If it's not being delivered by then, i'm going to call them and ask them where my pizza is (complaining customers). As for NA: we have had our pizza being delivered late a lot and the only thing we're getting are more excuses left and right (and more complaining). And no, EA is not an excuse for this. It's about handling a problem; which everyone has to deal with once in a while (especially if you have paying customers). That's the thing what a progress solves: no pressure on any ETA or whatsoever. We know things are happening; post about new features and once in a while with a scheduled maintenance, you can add them for example (add it to steam news / forum).

Again: All we hear are new ETA's (Before: at latest the 24th, now again it's this week), but why is my pizza being delivered late? Tell us what's going on (what is currently in this topic; one more critical item needs to be looked after, thanks!). What do you expect? Everybody to sit around, go to work and say 'okay'? Those complaining about complainers only make the matter worse (and yes, again, including myself). You see where things are heading the current way: decreasing population numbers, excuses, a lot of complaints and others who complain about complainers. Look for yourself if that's the end-goal you had in mind for the NA customer base. I think it's safe to say: look for yourself which one you are and push the 'reset' button. See y'all in the next patch!

A good example was the picture of the wesa somewhere (i stumbled on it when randomly browsing the forum). This should've been a beautiful blog or at least something on steam news or whatsoever. Maybe i've missed it but i'm not even sure if a lot of people are aware of it, which is unfortunate to see (good example: blog post of the ingermanland). (:

35 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Most people seem to forget that you can still play on pvp1, pvp2 and pve server without issues...

Most people who work or aren't as 'hardcore' (or have a lot of spare time) simply don't do this. Simply because there is a wipe coming; why 'waste' more time? Instead you should've promoted the testbed server; so hereby for those who want something to do... test all the new, cool and exciting features on the testbed server. In the steam library right-click on NA; settings, click on the BETA's tab and select testbed, GL! ^^

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cpt Fred said:

I've said this before, probably even multiple times idk.

As we apparently have started to give examples; Foxhole Pre-Alpha.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/506770/

http://www.foxholegame.com/

They have a blog which indicates numerous features they are working on; and by the look of the picture you know it's almost done (or atleast in-game / testing). As i remember correctly you guys also have (had) a blog, which hasn't really been used for over a year now (unfortunately) - except for the new patch info. It's a good way for anyone to keep track in since not everyone checks the official forum. Second of all; they offer community highlights. Not like you need to do this but it's a message towards your customers: hey i care... Not saying you guys don't because you listened more then enough to the community earlier on but there are loads of people out there (jeheil, Olav, Nielsvisser, SruPL, Taff In Exile, Liquicitizen Sili,...) making awesome content. Not even talking about steam pictures and such. Good thing is the magic moments post, for example. (:

http://www.strangeloopgames.com/eco/

While these guys do also have a dev blog, they are utilising it less frequently. Then again: i receive a mail from them once in a while (newsletter) which provides me with everything they have done so far and what is to come in the next update. I am a huge fan of this game; therefore i have builded a real-life restaurant in-game and made screenshots which i putted on the forum. Suprisingly enough i found the pictures on their official Facebook page and even in one of their newsletters which had an entire topic on the restaurant.

https://albiononline.com/en/news

Yet an other one of those 'underground' yet very good title. Same here: blog with news on things they are making and what is to come (with pictures) and a very well made community part which provides builds with certain weapons (NA: Builds for certain ship? Tactics?). Idea's are endless really and it's great to see. Also here; i got newsletters earlier on with updates of what's to come. Now, since they are crawling towards release that's pretty much over for now, but the blog is still going and providing everything you need, without having to search for it 'endlessly' through any kind of forum.

https://www.avorion.net/

Next up: Avorion is a wonderful space sim-ish, open world game. Yet again an outstanding developer who provides us with items they are working on, disregard any ETA or whatsoever. Prime example of how to share information towards your customers which makes them understand how long it takes to work on a feature (since most of us don't have a clue about development): http://steamcommunity.com/games/445220/announcements/detail/1289563758896893424

Look at the comments as well: happy customers saying thank you and such. It's not the NA doesn't deserve a thank you but you have to admit this ETA thing that has been going on for a very long time now and it isn't working as intended. If i order a pizza and you tell me you'll deliver it within half an hour, i expect it within half an hour. If not it's free (as they tell you) and a sorry from them. The NA pizza pretty much is very cold, doesn't taste that good anymore and we still didn't get any kind of sorry, just more complaining about everything (including myself now, hopefully for the last time).

The avorion developer literally explains us how he is fixing scrips to make the game better, again here: it's not all perfect... but they are trying to explain everything as much as they can (we aren't developers, we don't know anything). Instead on NA all we hear is everyone complaining about customers complaining (lol). And what's even worse: nothing is changing, it just keeps on going (see Jeheil's production: ep 60 on YT / forum). Can we please aknowledge we're all humans, we make mistakes (and complaints) and we need to go forward? i've found it weird you guys are always comparing yourself towards other companies. Same with the 'talking about a review' post (the negative review thing): comparing yourself towards ETS because you have more ships in-game then they have trucks (literally your own words). You're not Valve, you're not SCS Software, you're Game-labs. Stick to that and improve yourself, look around and learn accordingly. We've been standing still too many times now, let's reset and go on.

It's not about giving them a break; but if you make a "promise" (an ETA), you have to deliver. And YES an ETA is only an estimation but most people see a date, which indicates it needs to come on that particular time. Especially for those who work; i can imagine they need to ask for a day off earlier on instead of me being a college student who can take a day off whenever he wants (minus exams lol). If i order a pizza, they tell me it'll be delivered within half an hour (ETA). If it's not being delivered by then, i'm going to call them and ask them where my pizza is (complaining customers). As for NA: we have had our pizza being delivered late a lot and the only thing we're getting are more excuses left and right (and more complaining). And no, EA is not an excuse for this. It's about handling a problem; which everyone has to deal with once in a while (especially if you have paying customers). That's the thing what a progress solves: no pressure on any ETA or whatsoever. We know things are happening; post about new features and once in a while with a scheduled maintenance, you can add them for example (add it to steam news / forum).

Again: All we hear are new ETA's (Before: at latest the 24th, now again it's this week), but why is my pizza being delivered late? Tell us what's going on (what is currently in this topic; one more critical item needs to be looked after, thanks!). What do you expect? Everybody to sit around, go to work and say 'okay'? Those complaining about complainers only make the matter worse (and yes, again, including myself). You see where things are heading the current way: decreasing population numbers, excuses, a lot of complaints and others who complain about complainers. Look for yourself if that's the end-goal you had in mind for the NA customer base. I think it's safe to say: look for yourself which one you are and push the 'reset' button. See y'all in the next patch!

A good example was the picture of the wesa somewhere (i stumbled on it when randomly browsing the forum). This should've been a beautiful blog or at least something on steam news or whatsoever. Maybe i've missed it but i'm not even sure if a lot of people are aware of it, which is unfortunate to see (good example: blog post of the ingermanland). (:

Most people who work or aren't as 'hardcore' (or have a lot of spare time) simply don't do this. Simply because there is a wipe coming; why 'waste' more time? Instead you should've promoted the testbed server; so hereby for those who want something to do... test all the new, cool and exciting features on the testbed server. In the steam library right-click on NA; settings, click on the BETA's tab and select testbed, GL! ^^

Well said.

43 minutes ago, koiz said:

You do realize this has happened so it's not really a joke.... 

Next time read what i said, it's not about the pace it's about setting bad expectations. They need to just stop providing dates to the public, it's as simple as that. Provide progress updates and people will handle it better.

I'm sure they will implement your well thought out and constructive suggestion immediately, and will apologize profusely to you personally by providing lifetime free Santa cecelia bp's. 

Just now, Werewolf said:

I'm sure they will implement your well thought out and constructive suggestion immediately, and will apologize profusely to you personally by providing lifetime free Santa cecelia bp's. 

Way to be hostile Werewolf.

I offer a basic suggestion of not providing dates and communicating a summary of what's being done and you act like I'm the one with the issue...

This community is toxic because of people like you.

43 minutes ago, koiz said:

Pissing and moaning? I'm not even threatening and who is crying? I haven't played this game in 2 months I don't live and die with it like some people.

Next time maybe read what I said... 

Stop defending bad communication. The devs need to stop providing dates and manage the expectations better. They are terrible at this.

hahaha... yeah i read what you wrote. you're whining. (whining :: 2. To complain or protest in a childish or annoying fashion:)

hey pal, this is "alpha" !!! ...this is not a finished product release date.

Patch dates get pushed unexpectantly for reasons beyond everyone's control. Get over it.

4 hours ago, admin said:

we are realistic with our timing. We expected to deliver it on the 15th first and then date slipped because of reasons. Did not you check my signature on how dates work in the best game development firm in the world (valve)? Maybe you should check it to see how couple of days can easily turn into 3 months?

I wonder what would you prefer..

• Say 15th april and then slip for a month or month and a half?
  • say 2019 and overdeliver by a year or year and a half?

Based on your posts you seem to prefer the second option

"We are realistic with our timing".... really? If I say I'll be some place at 1 then just before 1 I say jk it will be 2 then at 2 jk again because I'm really coming at 4 but jk again because I'm really coming at 6 but it might be 6:30 because reasons. That's not realistic with timing whatsoever. 

Valve didn't become the company they are by being late.

And I would prefer neither of your choices. You have a record of being off on your timing. If you can't set your own goal dates within your company I don't know what to tell you.

You can say whatever the hell you want to say to defend yourself but YOU set those dates and YOU didn't deliver. Your word is less trustworthy than the boy who cried wolf.

Now here is what I would have done and maybe you should follow this to avoid pissing your player base off in the future.

1. Tell them a semi-accurate maximum amount of time and a semi-accurate approx. amount of time that it will take. (You failed here)

2. Let the playerbase know what you are up to and doing on a weekly or bi weekly basis (okay job here)

3(can skip if on time). Let the player base know if there will be delays when you know there will be.(failed here and don't tell me you only knew the day of I wasn't born yesterday)

4. Release the Patch 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

hahaha... yeah i read what you wrote. you're whining. (whining :: 2. To complain or protest in a childish or annoying fashion:)

Patch dates get pushed unexpectantly for reasons beyond everyone's control. Get over it.

Ok, keep making excuses and throwing insults that's always a great way to resolve problems! /s

26 minutes ago, koiz said:

Way to be hostile Werewolf.

I offer a basic suggestion of not providing dates and communicating a summary of what's being done and you act like I'm the one with the issue...

This community is toxic because of people like you.

Please show me anywhere in there I was hostile :)

Are you sure I am the problem? :)

Edited by Werewolf

4 hours ago, admin said:

we are realistic with our timing. We expected to deliver it on the 15th first and then date slipped because of reasons. Did not you check my signature on how dates work in the best game development firm in the world (valve)? Maybe you should check it to see how couple of days can easily turn into 3 months?

I wonder what would you prefer..

• Say 15th april and then slip for a month or month and a half?
  • say 2019 and overdeliver by a year or year and a half?

Based on your posts you seem to prefer the second option

Dear @admin this is shitty PR and probably the major reason why you have so many negative steam reviews.  

Please look from the perspective of your average player.  You announced a wipe to the servers MONTHS before the wipe happens and an assortment of changes.  This makes doing RVR, the highest and only form of "end game" content in your title irrelevant because.....it doesn't matter if a wipe is coming.  RVR dies and the server population dwindles.  This sat evening I logged on briefly and there were less than 50 people on between both live servers.  With no players online, a game that revolves around player driven content simply has nothing to do.  So....you announce a wipe that kills your server activity back in March and here it is almost at the start of June and the wipe still hasn't happened.  We're bored.  WE WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME (with more than 50 people).  We understand development takes time, we're not upset about it taking a little longer.  Good content is worth the wait.  

What we are upset about is....

- Announcing wipes MONTHS before they happen.  Sometimes they don't even happen.  This drives away players every single time.  You've done this multiple times now.  STOP

- Set realistic time frames.  We're not mad it's taken this long.  We're mad because you first told us it'd be done by 4/22.  Then 5/15.  Please don't tell us on the day the patch is supposed to come out it's going to take a couple more weeks.  You know this beforehand, tell us.  

Ultimately people are upset because your PR is just terrible.  You deflect criticism by bringing up other games and companies.  Yes we realize this is early access and of course patches and development never go quite as planned.  But you need to handle it better.

Anyway, end of rant.  Most of us look forward to the patch....I know I'm bored as hell most nights now.  Please get it done.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

Ultimately people are upset because your PR is just terrible.  You deflect criticism by bringing up other games and companies.  Yes we realize this is early access and of course patches and development never go quite as planned.  But you need to handle it better.

I think this is where the problem lies
Here is the PR site http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/allnews/

This forum is a development forum. Its not a PR forum. 

This is not a PR site. Community works here to make a game better. If as a member of a community you are interested in something you must ask us here and spread the news when you find out. Its your responsibility as a community member. People on steam could be upset because we indeed should be present more there. But community members here cant be upset. sorry. If you have not asked the question its not our fault. Users here talk to me daily and are not mute ladies who require an invitation to ask a question to me or mods. 

If someone does not like development forum style here there is always steam forums where specially trained moderators will always talk to you nicely and in a neutral manner. This is not a steam forum - this is a garage with dirt and smoke and sweat you know. Its a place for sailors.

• Like 13

54 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

42 minutes ago, koiz said:

Ok, keep making excuses and throwing insults that's always a great way to resolve problems! /s

@koiz, where have i insulted you?

because what i am reading from you to me, by definition, may be considered.. slander.

44 minutes ago, admin said:

This is not a PR site. Community works here to make a game better. If as a member of a community you are interested in something you must ask us here and spread the news when you find out. Its your responsibility as a community member. People on steam could be upset because we indeed should be present more there. But community members here cant be upset. sorry. If you have not asked the question its not our fault. Users here talk to me daily and are not mute ladies who require an invitation to ask a question to me or mods. 

If someone does not like development forum style here there is always steam forums where specially trained moderators will always talk to you nicely and in a neutral manner. This is not a steam forum - this is a garage with dirt and smoke and sweat you know. Its a place for sailors.

Le sigh....

You failed to grasp the message that I was trying to convey.  My apologies.  Maybe one day you guys will learn.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, admin said:

If someone does not like development forum style here there is always steam forums where specially trained moderators will always talk to you nicely and in a neutral manner. This is not a steam forum - this is a garage with dirt and smoke and sweat you know.  Its a place for sailors.

The community is not responsible for your company's PR after all you are the one being paid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cinco Llagas said:

I would suggest no longer giving any updates on wipes or patches to the live servers until they are actually finished and ready to deploy. And then just 24 hours in advance before they go online.  I realize that the devs are trying to be open and informative but unfortunately many people are instant gratification types that are unaccepting of delays or reasoning. 

Problem with not giving updates before they're ready to deploy is that before they announced the wipe, people had been complaining loudly for months about there being no updates to the live servers. It's impossible to make us all happy, so they stick to a communication strategy and take the heat for that rather than for something else.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Anolytic said:

Problem with not giving updates before they're ready to deploy is that before they announced the wipe, people had been complaining loudly for months about there being no updates to the live servers. It's impossible to make us all happy, so they stick to a communication strategy and take the heat for that rather than for something else.

I'd say a weeks notice wouldn't be terrible.  Anything is better than 3 months notice that a wipe is coming.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, admin said:

we always say two things -

• times are not final and are estimated
  • expect the worst

We are not sure how this can be read as a lie. 

also remember that work tends to fill all the the time allocated to it. Thus if you don't set up shorter deadlines you will always work longer.

How bout some overtime. from what I understand euros aren't to hip on over time. in Texas those first 40 hours are viewed as a warm up. that real money is made after 40.  crank out one 70 hour work week and this patch will be ready to go.

that way we can all go back to playing the game that we love.

Edited by King of Crowns
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I'd say a weeks notice wouldn't be terrible.  Anything is better than 3 months notice that a wipe is coming.... 

Just have a little faith and patience.

They are here, devs have not abandoned the project;
They working on it constantly;
They fixing things;
You see the progress on the testbed through fixes and updates and forum discussions;

Guys common. What are you 3? Give it a chance to get done whatever time it takes.

The patch will be ready when its ready. Take that as a summary of all "The Wipe D-Day rumors" 

Edited by koltes
  • Like 9

Anyway, this is an abvious sign that some players are totaly passionated about NA !

Their impatience is proportional to their addiction

Complains are positive signs for Dev's, what would they feel with a quiet forum ?

See you all in open sea soon !!! 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

Your working on the assumption that in business honesty is the most important element in customer relations. This is false. In business timeliness and accuracy are the most important elements. Modern customers rarely appreciate or forgive honesty, particularly when it relates to missed deadlines or perceived mistakes. They do however respond well to consistency and accuracy. The developers cannot control innovation, but they can control what they tell the NA community and when it is told.  I am not faulting the developers for communicating with the players but I am suggesting that their openness in revealing schedules and timetable is unnecessary and even harmful, particularly when bad game reviews and low server populations are a result. 

• Like 2

On 15/05/2017 at 10:14 AM, The Spud said:

Just to get a clear confirm on this, so I don't screw it up for myself.

We can redeem only on one server, so we can be only rear admiral (current rank) on one server, on the other servers we would have to start from scratch but we can play on them?

Or can we redeem on all three servers, but progress is stored seperatly?

my only gripe with all this ..is the last major update was the last rerworking of port battles which was when last November ....seems to me they then took 4 months off until the annouinced the wipe and then have been trying squeeze everything in.... they are stil making changes ....the planned changes and most of the  work involved to make the changes should have been completed before the wipe and changes were even announced ... then put them on the test bed  to iron out the bugs .... seems to me they announced the wipe then started to rebuild the game over .. adding things as they go along ..no wonder they havent met any of the dates ..

golden rule of business make a plan of how your going to implement your plan ..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

my only gripe with all this ..is the last major update was the last rerworking of port battles which was when last November ....seems to me they then took 4 months off until the annouinced the wipe and then have been trying squeeze everything in.... they are stil making changes ....the planned changes and most of the  work involved to make the changes should have been completed before the wipe and changes were even announced ... then put them on the test bed  to iron out the bugs .... seems to me they announced the wipe then started to rebuild the game over .. adding things as they go along ..no wonder they havent met any of the dates ..

golden rule of business make a plan of how your going to implement your plan ..

I can't recall this has ever happened before. I completely agree with this post.

2 hours ago, King of Crowns said:

How bout some overtime. from what I understand euros aren't to hip on over time. in Texas those first 40 hours are viewed as a warm up. that real money is made after 40.  crank out one 70 hour work week and this patch will be ready to go.

that way we can all go back to playing the game that we love.

I worked 400 hours of overtime one summer for a company during the .COM boom.  I learned a few things.

• Talented developers won't hang around when you work them like this.  IT is too hot a market to put up with slave driving.  It works for folks fresh out of school and desperate for experience (and who don't know better), but experienced developers with good skillsets will walk when worked this way, and it takes a VERY long time to get a new developer up to speed on the project.
  • After about 50 hours, the brain stops being able to easily deal with the complexities of coding.  I overwrote the same config file 6 times in an hour after working a 90 hour week, including weekends.  Mistakes and bugs are entered into the codebase at a far higher rate when people are fatigued.  This work isn't ditch digging (though industrial accidents also go up sharply when longer hours are worked).

The problem with cranking out one week, is then it becomes expected.  Next thing you know, you're working that every week and management (or the playerbase) is yelling at you when you say you finally need to take at least one weekend a month off.

It's time to get back on topic.  Feedback regarding the contents of this patch.  Comments on the developers' PR, work ethic, patch timing etc. are off topic and are not welcome in a feedback patch thread.

• Like 22