Game-Labs Forum

Game advertise before wipe

Hi any idea how developers and we - community can advertise game before coming wipe? I think its quite important at this stage to bring back as many players as we can - both old players and potential new ones. This is the moment. Share your ideas here please. And please be constructive doing so.

My idea: lower price - this always bring attention. Put it on Steam sale.

Edited by Bart Smith
  • Like 1

The game will sell itself when it is complete.  People will find out about it if it is well made and fun to play.  Many players are probably waiting for the wipe to be complete.  There were lots of copies sold and when it is released a bunch of them may come back.

I remember some time ago there was a nasty backlash directed at people who did not recommend NA on steam.   Perhaps right now while we are waiting for the wipe and release it is okay to suggest that people wait a little bit, if they thinking of purchasing.  Afterall there are not very many players on line and it seems very important for many people to have a larger population.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Goldman said:

Devs clearly said no Steam Sales and no advertising before the final release of the game in 201... *cough* 2020.

Well maybe they re-think this if black scenario will take place after wipe and population stay low like now.

No point advertising before the wipe. The obvious choice is to wait till after the wipe when there are lots of new exciting changes to test, many mistakes have been fixed and big changes have been made now. Veterans will be coming back to test the changes, and we will be supplemented by new testers buying the game. Inviting people now before the wipe will just infect whoever joins with the pre-wipe depression that is rampant in the forum and in the game right now, and they will also have all their assets wiped just right after they started playing - a bit of a setback. 

Wait till after the wipe, and the people who join will hopefully have roughly the same experience starting out as those of us who got into this game in January 2016. 

Apart from this I second @Macjimm's post above completely. Low population now is not a crisis. Servers will be filled when the game is finally released.

Regarding discounting and advertising prior to release, devs have clearly stated that they are intending/considering to advertise and discount the game on Steam after the wipe has happened:

Google Translation:

After the wipe will also run a little advertising and include a discount - and many will come back who waited for him or did not play because of nightly pb (for example, a number of francs and Swedes)

Which is presumably why they are trying to get this wipe-patch just right and taking the time to do so despite our very loudly expressed impatience.

In Scandinavia we have a saying which is roughly equivalent to this: "good things come to those who wait".

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 2

As far as ideas go, facebook hyper-targeted advertising is the cheapest and most efficient option, precise targeting is cheap ( as opposed to generalist ) since there is less competition, i have done advertising at 1p per person, and since you sell via internet you should normally have your conversion stats back via tracking pixel and url, but i have no idea how and if conversion stats work if your ad sends to the steam page instead of your own. Do A/B testing too.

The only important thing is to be able to track conversion and continually adapt the ads to their specific targets.

Steam sales are just as valuable for their added exposure as for the sale itself, if not more, so even a low discount is valuable at every single steam sale opportunity ( but too low creates a bad impression forever )

But yeah, too early, and the devs will probably get a marketing pro or agency in time.