Game-Labs Forum

Why Matthew Town?

maturin

I think Nassau was always referred to as the "Nest of Pirates" historically.  But for gameplay, a deep-water port was probably necessary.  I like the little pirate area south of cuba on the test bed....

40 minutes ago, admin said:

Anybody played Pirates of the burning sea?

Never heard of it.:) I would definitely make Tortuga a pirate Heaven with few extra ports around it. 

Edited by Ned Low

2 minutes ago, Serk said:

I vote for Kidd's Island

As a sanctuary island and because of the name, I understand the vote. But Tortuga is more centrally located in the Caribbean for fast access to shipping lanes. It also lays claim historically as a prominent pirate haven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

Anybody played Pirates of the burning sea?

Yes, was a fun game that had so much potential . NA is far more fun with even more potential. The changes coming are really good too especially finally getting rid of durabilities which gets NA closer to being a SHIP sim mmo game and less of an arcade game.

2 hours ago, Serk said:

I vote for Kidd's Island ;)

If pirates ever got a proper raid mechanic and didn't have regoin conquest Kidd's would be a great pick as the main capital region and have it so they can still craft in that regions basic stuff.  Than make pirate havens all over the place  (basicly the free towns and a few other pirate only ports).  

1 hour ago, Captiva said:

As a sanctuary island and because of the name, I understand the vote. But Tortuga is more centrally located in the Caribbean for fast access to shipping lanes. It also lays claim historically as a prominent pirate haven.

Just make them all pirate havens for pirates, kinda like freetowns, but some of them are for pirates only and that is what we work out of.  They could even make MT natural like the old pitts so every one can use it and turn it into the central trading hub for all nations that they can trade out of (with risk).

1 hour ago, Amonacc said:

because FLS put tortuga shop to far from player spawn point and MT was a bit closer to western colonies like Tampa, where my gunpoder factories were build. 

Do you know the original story behind Potbs? and why that game is the best Pirate MMO to this day? 

Here is how it started. Not going to say the name, but one rich guy (the real pirate fan) asked this small game development team if they could create a true Pirate themed MMO game he would be able to play with his friends. He offered millions of dollars to Devs just so he can own the game like that. Potbs is a dream come true project not only for a dedicated true rich fan who wanted to leave something behind, but also for all of us fans. There is not a single MMO that can beat Potbs, well we all hoped NA would... we will wait and see.  

Imho..I do not believe NA has such crazy obsessed Devs who are willing to jump overboard and deliver an epic Naval MMO and take over current market. I simply doubt that.

Edited by Ned Low

Matthew town (original name) was picked as a pirate capital because it was a main pirate hub in the pirates of the burning sea. Majority of pirate clans had bases there (including my clan The Wolfpack). All pirate trading was done in Matthew town. 

Later @Barberougefound that mathew town name appeared in the 19 century. And in the 18th century the name of the town was Mortimer because its governor was Mortimer.

I still think of MT as Matthew Town :P

Suppose the whole thing is gaming history and not history proper, but it's a nice touch for the many PotBS players in NA. 

Good example of game design too (why MT was the pirate base in PotBS), what players want from a port they regularly use. Tortuga, a huge sprawling maze of tunnels, shipwrecks and a volcano that the PotBS devs spent huge effort building, or Matthew Town, the plainest little fishing port ever but with everything important located on the dock...

3 hours ago, admin said:

Matthew town (original name) was picked as a pirate capital because it was a main pirate hub in the pirates of the burning sea. Majority of pirate clans had bases there (including my clan The Wolfpack). All pirate trading was done in Matthew town. 

Later @Barberougefound that mathew town name appeared in the 19 century. And in the 18th century the name of the town was Mortimer because its governor was Mortimer.

It is located on the southwest corner of the island. It was named after Bahamian Governor George Matthew (1844-1849) and first settled during his tenure in office. It has several buildings dating to the 19th century including the 1870 Great Inagua Lighthouse.

I would move Pirates to Tortuga. If you can see MT was settled after NA time frame if I am correct. Since you are building a true realistic simulator I would consider moving Pirate hub to more well known and popular location. We all know that Brethren of the Coast were settled in Tortuga and that gives us another reason to follow historically correct locations .

Edited by Ned Low

Tortuga (La Tortue actually) was once the main den of French freebooters in the Caribbean, around 1650 (as Port Royal for British freeboters). Then it became the capital of the French Hispaniola (Saint-Domingue), as Port Royal became the capital of the British Jamaica. In 1800 the capital had been moved to Port-au-Prince but La Tortue was still French, as Port Royal was still British.

Here is the map for Mortimer Town:

vjFL5pF.jpg

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~243464~5513464:New-Chart-of-the-Windward-Passages?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:cuba;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=5&trs=201

• Like 1