Game-Labs Forum
Hethwill

New Skills / Perks / Upgrades / Refits [ discussion & suggestions ]

[ version 9.99 ] as available on Server Testbed

Report all findings that lead to powerful stacking, strange combinations, in game (F11) and in this thread.

Discuss the items with specific examples of being used, how to improve, suggestions that you may have.

For example

Copper plating and Lead Sheathing.

Both can be used at the same time in game, stacking speed for example.

In reality ( IRL ) both were used, even combined in the same ship, but no added effect would result. In game we can use them both with "stackable" benefits.

All Admiralty items are op. Drop all perma mods and stick only to ship knowledge. ;-)

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 10

Reported already this one...

Notched Angles, L`Horizon Balistique and The Table of parts of Ships of War are all the same upgrades/books with different percentage.

That necessary?

Forgot the Sir William Congreve`s Sights :)

Edited by Fenris

Light Ropes & Blocks / Raise Sails speed / Yard turn speed / Crew needed 

Small ships - 30% / 15% / -10%

Medium ships - 20% / 10% / -7.5%

The 30% is truly remarkable. Was already half way across a stern turn with all the sails up and a LGV was still finishing unfurling.

Plus, given the radical difference between the Lynx/Privateer sail plan and cables arrangement versus the Niagara, I can understand the schooners being awfully faster.

Old build values were 15% and did make that little bit of difference without being overboard. Was felt especially on the raise sails. It was my personal favorite module, wasn't OP and gave the feeling of a trained crew.

Why you guys don't introduce stacking penalties and add 100s more interesting combination perks?

Stacking 4 speed perks for example

10% × 86.9% = 9% for the second perk
10% × 57.1% = 5.7% for the third perk
10% × 28.3% = 2.8% for the fourth perk

Edited by Ned Low

11 minutes ago, Ned Low said:

Why you guys don't introduce stacking penalties and add 100s more interesting combination perks?

Stacking 4 speed perks for example

10% × 86.9% = 9% for the second perk
10% × 57.1% = 5.7% for the third perk
10% × 28.3% = 2.8% for the fourth perk

I think that is where they went with the hard caps instead, it's a more simple way to do it.  Just make it no matter how much you stack something you will never beat that hard cap.

• Like 2

Marines Small ship is 50% (gold) Medium Ship is 30% (blue) So I asume the Large ships will be 10 or 20%.   I think 50% is way to high for small ships. I have a Niagara and that is 77 of my 155 crew that are marines.  I never ran higher than a MC on my board/demasting build Niagara on Live server cause it ate up to much crew and that was with hammocks.  Than you can run it and not be short on crew.    I think these numbers should be tweeked or even better make all three levels 30%.  I think AI get 20% (green mods) so that means you still will have more Marines than like ship if you fight them.  

Oh and I hate the small, medium, large thing.  They should keep the mods/perks to classes like they had 1-3 SOL (Large) 4-5 Frigates (Medium) 6-7 Light (Small).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

Light Ropes & Blocks / Raise Sails speed / Yard turn speed / Crew needed 

Small ships - 30% / 15% / -10%

Medium ships - 20% / 10% / -7.5%

The 30% is truly remarkable. Was already half way across a stern turn with all the sails up and a LGV was still finishing unfurling.

Plus, given the radical difference between the Lynx/Privateer sail plan and cables arrangement versus the Niagara, I can understand the schooners being awfully faster.

Old build values were 15% and did make that little bit of difference without being overboard. Was felt especially on the raise sails. It was my personal favorite module, wasn't OP and gave the feeling of a trained crew.

Is this now a crew skill or an upgrade? Your last comment is spot on as speed of sail handling is really mostly down to crew training and experience. The effect of lighter rigging parts should have a greater bonus on the amount of crew needed. That is the big difference in sail plans - schooner rigs requiring far less crew than a square rig. Also a schooner requires less sail handling for maneuvers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Is this now a crew skill or an upgrade? Your last comment is spot on as speed of sail handling is really mostly down to crew training and experience. The effect of lighter rigging parts should have a greater bonus on the amount of crew needed. That is the big difference in sail plans - schooner rigs requiring far less crew than a square rig. Also a schooner requires less sail handling for maneuvers.

Light Ropes & Blocks falls under the ship knowledge skills/perks.  Though you have to buy the book from the Admiral Shop/Pirate Den to unlock it for your ships.  

• Like 1

You know I was thinking about traders just now how they get auto unlocked.  Well travel xp should count towards your ship xp and one thing they can do with traders since we have class ranks for the perks.  Is have a trader only perk.  Move Hold Opts to the perks for ship knowledge instead of being a player knowledge.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Marines Small ship is 50% (gold) Medium Ship is 30% (blue) So I asume the Large ships will be 10 or 20%.   I think 50% is way to high for small ships. I have a Niagara and that is 77 of my 155 crew that are marines.  I never ran higher than a MC on my board/demasting build Niagara on Live server cause it ate up to much crew and that was with hammocks.  Than you can run it and not be short on crew.    I think these numbers should be tweeked or even better make all three levels 30%.  I think AI get 20% (green mods) so that means you still will have more Marines than like ship if you fight them.  

Oh and I hate the small, medium, large thing.  They should keep the mods/perks to classes like they had 1-3 SOL (Large) 4-5 Frigates (Medium) 6-7 Light (Small).

Agreed. Ironically IRL the Niagara  only had a draft of soldiers serving as marines and certainly not 50% crew. This does not seems to fix the problem with marines leftover from the modules. Very rarely did a warship carry 50% of her crew as marines. Ok maybe if acting as a troop transport or in use for a specific landing operation but that's an exception. There should be a much lower hard cap on marines. IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeanJacques de Montpellier said:

What is this?

I'm sorry but i dont try the testbed.

Basically in the admirality store you'll be able to 'buy' certain non-optical figureheads (they just give a stats buff) for pvp/pve/conquest marks.

1 hour ago, DeRuyter said:

Agreed. Ironically IRL the Niagara  only had a draft of soldiers serving as marines and certainly not 50% crew. This does not seems to fix the problem with marines leftover from the modules. Very rarely did a warship carry 50% of her crew as marines. Ok maybe if acting as a troop transport or in use for a specific landing operation but that's an exception. There should be a much lower hard cap on marines. IMO.

Yah the 30% mark is actually a nice number and it's slightly more than what the AI get (20%).  Though personnelly I think every ship should get 10% for free.   You know like how all AI get 20% marines for free cause they have all the green mods.

• Like 1

I'm still of the opinion that NO mods should give more than a 5% boost.  

When I really think about it, I still cant figure out what the entire point of them are...  If you want to make ships unique, there are so many different ways that are easier to balance.

Oh well.

• Like 7

I think more difference between fast and strong ships in general is a good thing. But when you think about what type of boni should define the direction your ship build is going, why should you ever choose the bow figure?! What about the wood the whole ship is made of, that also doesnt need to be bought by marks?! Why make the ship itself trivial and expensive boni decisive, while the other way round makes so much more sense?! You can basically stay in the harbour without a bow figure.

Regarding general balancing, i could tell you now how "the perfect frigate build" is going to look like. Missing balancing from woods to refits means there are just very few decisions to make. Balancing needs to be improved for more options. Slots for skills and perks need to be reduced when there are not enough different boni to make you decide about something. When its always speed for ow and hull for PBs in the first place, remove speed and hull boni atleast for bow figures and refits.

So regional bonuses are now placed in the permanent upgrade slots right? Can you stack regional bonuses then because there are 3 permanent slots?
For example Pirate refit+Spanish hunter+Agile Hull would be the most op shit i can think off.

• Like 1

Report all findings that lead to powerful stacking, strange combinations, in game (F11) and in this thread.

http://prntscr.com/f1mpa1

http://prntscr.com/f1mppx

http://prntscr.com/f1mpjo

http://prntscr.com/f1mpwr

Powder Monkey, Magazine Access, Grande-Terre Equipage de Ligne, Sur Le Cannonage a Bord

-28% reload time

-10% vertical dispersion

-5% gunnery crew

+10% fire probability

These 4 perks on a 6th rate are already really strong, there might be a 5th knowledge that I havent found yet that can add to that and Im sure there is perma that can as well upgrade these bonuses.

I dont know if there is a maximum for the bonuses that can be applied, like the 15kn speed cap that admin mentionned, but if there is it would be nice to be able to know in the equipment screen when applying ship knowledge, to have some kind of summary of the bonuses shown with the ship stats, maybe like this:

http://prntscr.com/f1mukn

Edited by GreasyMnky
clarity

I used Lead Sheathing on a ship and it seemed I lost so much hp the ship sank in first short period of battle. It seems a little over kill/nerfed in the hp dept. I know the drop menu say about -2% hp but my Trin was toast quick time.  I have more specifics if you want. 

I didn't think to F11 it until I read this post. Anyway fyi. 

Edited by Buba Smith
  • Like 1

Removing upgrades but adding some figureheads, removing officer perks and adding some normal perks, yet again instead of reducing stacking we just complicate everything more and more and we get more powerful stacking. The only thing that we do is change the names and the form of buffs. What's the point of it? Of course for OW hunting and trading everyone will stack 5x speed, for PBs everyone will stuck HP and thickness. Nothing will change, it will just get more complicated and under different names.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

Removing upgrades but adding some figureheads, removing officer perks and adding some normal perks, yet again instead of reducing stacking we just complicate everything more and more and we get more powerful stacking. The only thing that we do is change the names and the form of buffs. What's the point of it? Of course for OW hunting and trading everyone will stack 5x speed, for PBs everyone will stuck HP and thickness. Nothing will change, it will just get more complicated and under different names.

The very first difference, I must say the biggest one is every player is playing exactly the same. No more random drops of a un-crafteable modules. Players do their selected cruises,  and eventually be able to access it.

Regarding the different types of bundles, yeah, can become messy. Hence why the devs asked for input.

Example being the Copper Plating as a Ship knowledge thing when in truth should be a crafting choice and a module choice ( non stackable of course).