Game-Labs Forum

Propose new gun types

The howitzer

obus24libaparejos.gif.75df0d88e7f470956b7852c1d09e7591.gif

The carronadas was a problem when aiming the weapon to its maximum reach, since its balance of weight and diameter of cannon towards the unstable weapon, and after each shot had to adjust again the height of the shot. The response of the Spanish Navy to this problem was the howitzer, a weapon that followed the same principle of shooting the carronada shallow but with a better balance in weight and better clamping system to be more stable, adding to this the ability to perform Curved shots.

He could shoot the same type of ammunition of shrapnel that the carronadas or realize a curved shot with experimental explosive grenades very dangerous in its handling. The ship Santa Ana was the first to incorporate them for the tests. The shells were just as manoeuvrable as the carronadas, but with greater accuracy at maximum distances.

1. Penetration and penetration fall off: High, within walking distance, like a carronade.
  2. Distance and trajectory: Short/Medium
  3. Damage: High
  4. Splinter damage:High
  5. Fire chance: High
  6. Weight: Low, a 24-pound howitzer weighed like a 6-pound barrel only.
  7. Cost: Medium
  8. Crew per gun: 4 or 6.
  9. Reload: Medium
  10. Breakage chance (strength of carriage): High when explosive grenades were used.
  11. Special Resource requirements: BP Drop, Spanish Iron?

In the Royal Spanish Armada there were the calibers of 48, 36, 30, 24, 12, 8 and 4 pounds, the latter being used aboard the boats in the landings or when they exerted subtle force on the catches.

Table.png.382c96009130eedaaaa1b72aed266a03.png

obus24lib.gif.b760281355bf2b86012907df9428fd10.gif      corredera.gif.d591ce7cf50ba43ccd72bd69b1efcb9a.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanJacques de Montpellier said:

A realistic game i think, or not?

"NAVAL ACTION IS AN EXCITING, REALISTIC, AND BEAUTIFULLY DETAILED NAVAL COMBAT GAME IMMERSING PLAYERS INTO THE EXPERIENCE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PERIOD OF NAVAL HISTORY - WHEN SAILING SHIPS RULED THE SEAS."

@admin, i'm wrong?

But magic figureheads, so...

• Like 2

Realistic.
The same difference between historical novel (realistic) and historical treatise.

Example: O 'Brian's tales are historical novels. That is to say in an accurate historical context are inserted true-liked characters and events. Even ships can sometimes have a small literary freedom. The fantasy figureheads can be one of this. A culverins in the Napoleonic period, NO. This is the difference.
Besides the fact that culverins would be obsolete and with a lower power than the cannons of the XIX century.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeanJacques de Montpellier said:

Realistic.
The same difference between historical novel (realistic) and historical treatise.

Example: O 'Brian's tales are historical novels. That is to say in an accurate historical context are inserted true-liked characters and events. Even ships can sometimes have a small literary freedom. The fantasy figureheads can be one of this. A culverins in the Napoleonic period, NO. This is the difference.
Besides the fact that culverins would be obsolete and with a lower power than the cannons of the XIX century.

I agree, and the real issue is authenticy, not realism / simulation.  A game can achieve authenticity without being slavishly beholden to simulation.  I believe Game Labs original intent was to offer an authentic Age of Sail gameplay experience based on real world tactics and physical limitations.

Nothing equivalent to magic figureheads altering the physical charateristics of a ship was in O'Brian's novels.  The closest would be some sort of "totem" aboard the ship (e.g. the "hand of glory") that affected crew morale. If O'Brian had included magic figureheads in his novels (or other forms of magic that operate on the physical world, not the human imagination), his books would not have been authentic historical novels, but fantasy.

Edited by akd
  • Like 1

Yeah, i totally agree with you @akd.

Figureheads are only something about art and aesthetics. I think too that players 'd choise the paint for their ships, of course choosing from those historically existed. The same for the name of ships (doing a list of possible names).

Returning to the cannons, i am genuinely surprised that no one has yet proposed it, but ...

French 8 pounder    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-pounder_long_gun

this is a small calibre cannon, similar to the english 9 pounder. There were 1.079 English pounds in the Old French pound (livre). So all french cannons have size a bit different from english size. I think all nations had different system, with minimal differences between them, so negligible in game.

The most important thing, however, would be to give more detail to ammunitions and make them limited (this would greatly affect gameplay, imagining limited chains).