Game-Labs Forum

After reading through Hethwill's suggestion, 

I had the idea that instead of a random flag on one of the masts there could be a national flag that you could choose. That way if you are Australian playing for the British nation you could fly the Aussie flag on your mast to represent where you are from. Here's a list of nations that are recognized by the UN https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states. I feel like this would give some sense of nationalism while adding more customization at the same time.

• Like 5

That would result in battles where a mix of every nation would fight against a mix of every nation, including aussies vs aussies.

And australia was not to become a nation for a while. As of the game timeframe Australia is a penal colony. Hell, sydney (where i worked for a while) was not founded till 1788.

#protip if you travel down under and they ask if you have a criminal history, ask them if it is still a requirement to enter the country.

P.S. Freaking love australia mate, one of the best countries i ever lived in. Miss the weather, the cockatoos, walabies, and the people.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I like this idea but would like to see the small adjustment to having flags appropriate to the age, I don't want to see some bizarrely modern flags appearing and ruining my immersion, for example Canada or Italy.

Historically when it comes to sailor nationality its not unreasonable to see foreign sailors serving in national navies, plenty of men served at sea in wars that had nothing to do with their home country, generally these foreign sailors tended to come from nations with cordial relationships to the states at war without formal alliances, especially where there might be a high price or shortage of local manpower.

Its a nice little personalisation option.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

3 hours ago, Aventador said:

After reading through Hethwill's suggestion, 

I had the idea that instead of a random flag on one of the masts there could be a national flag that you could choose. That way if you are Australian playing for the British nation you could fly the Aussie flag on your mast to represent where you are from. Here's a list of nations that are recognized by the UN https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states. I feel like this would give some sense of nationalism while adding more customization at the same time.

maybe adding a tag _AUS to the end of your in-game name would drive fear into you enemies... I know I would be.:rolleyes:

Go Vegemites!

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Authenticity, historical time frame, Australia was not a nation and hence the national flag was the Union Jack.

1606 First recorded landing by Europeans, William Jansz, in Australia, on the west coast of Cape York Peninsula.

1770 April 29 - Captain James Cook first sets foot in New South Wales at Botany Bay.

1788 January 26 - Captain Arthur Phillip, commanding the First Fleet, sails into Port Jackson, establishes the first colonial settlement at Sydney Cove.

1788-90: The Russo-Swedish War.

1792-1799: French revolutionary wars.

1799-1815: Napoleonic wars

1799-1802: War of second Coalition,

1801-03 Captain Matthew Flinders circumnavigates the Australian mainland, proving it is an island.

1824 Hume and Hovell open an overland route from Sydney to the future site of Melbourne.

1825 Van Diemen's Land (renamed Tasmania in 1855) established as a separate colony.

reference:Australian history, Aussie info.com http://www.aussie-info.com/identity/history/

The Routledge Companion to Modern European History Since 1763 pg276 ( By Chris Cook, John Stevenson )

2 hours ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

#protip if you travel down under and they ask if you have a criminal history, ask them if it is still a requirement to enter the country.

As for South Australia, Northern territory, Western Australia, Queensland, and Victoria, it is a non essential requirement, as these states are all settled by free colonist. However, New South Wales and Tasmania, it is a requirement as they are penal colonies and a criminal history is needed to enter these States.