Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action water reflections need more work.

Dear Devs, 

So, as promised here is a comparison on 2 games and their water reflections. As you can see in 1st picture Naval Action does not reflect clouds and sun colors during sunset or any other time of the day. 2nd Picture clearly displays clouds and colors on water. Also, clouds realistically catch sun yellowish color and perfectly transfer it to ocean. Even if cloud reflection does exist in the game it needs a major buff in intensity. Adding cloud reflection on water will add the final touch to this beautiful game. Remember that sun rays during sunset hit clouds and change their color ----> this color must be reflected to water surface. Do this and you will see how beautiful game world will look.

Thanks and Fair Winds!

yanGvia.jpg

UltraSky_Ocean.png

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, z4ys said:

why you want reflections on low settings?

Not reflections - sea quality on low. It will get rid of waves and expose what is missing. Naval Action ocean color is always in 'cloudy day' mode. Not sure why Devs decided to do it, but ocean is not like that in Caribbean and cloud reflections are present even with slight waves on a sunny day. I understand reflection can not be visible during/after storm or during high waves and that is fine, but they should be present at least 80% of the time. Not only it will add realism, it will add awesome feel to water and skies. 

Edited by Ned Loe

still dont get it. Ofc low settings show low texture. But way should the gpu render refelctions of cloudes when waves (which are there but not rendered on low settings) destroy reflections like the very calm sea of your POTBs screen shows.

So why they should add reflections on a fake world of a clam sea on low settings? That isnt game optimization.

*Edit*

I am ok with cloud shadows. Reflections like you discribe would only happen when there would be no wind. But we have wind in NA all the time:D

Edited by z4ys

9 minutes ago, z4ys said:

still dont get it. Ofc low settings show low texture. But way should the gpu render refelctions of cloudes when waves (which are there but not rendered on low settings) destroy reflections like the very calm sea of your POTBs screen shows.

So why they should add reflections on a fake world of a clam sea on low settings? That isnt game optimization.

We do not have such a big waves anyway. Water looks smooth, but very dark and cold. It's fine, however Caribbean is warm and sunny and I do not feel any sun in the water. Water still looks like it's been effected by grim cloudy day all the time. On the top of that we do not get reflection from beautiful clouds that are present in the game and we do not get colors from sunsets/sunrise that are also present. For some reason water does not see it. 

I am a Graphic Designer and I can see it instantly. This is just my personal suggestion that will make Naval Action look much much better simply by adding clouds and sun colors to water reflections. 

Another great example is ESO ( Elder scrolls online) , they use this very nicely on their calm waters and it looks amazing. 

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, z4ys said:

*Edit*

I am ok with cloud shadows. Reflections like you discribe would only happen when there would be no wind. But we have wind in NA all the time:D

This is as close as I will get, Even with waves NA needs white spots on water and if there is color present in the skies(clouds) it must reflect appropriately. I am not saying we need to clearly mirror clouds, but we do need to see it:

Max Ocean quality - Minimal White/Colored spots on water

Low Ocean quality - Maximum Cloud/Color Reflection on water.

UltraSky_Ocean.png

Edited by Ned Loe

Ah maybe you should just use your NA pic of the first post, my picture and your last post. That sums up whats missing.

Your rl picture + the POTBs screen  show situations we dont have in NA. And they are a bad comparison in my opinion.

But yeah cloudshadows and sun reflections (when the sun lurks through the clouds) are missing.

*Edit* When I talk about reflection I mean sun sparkles at the top of the waves.

Edited by z4ys

5 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Ah maybe you should just use your NA pic of the first post, my picture and your last post. That sums up whats missing.

Your rl picture + the POTBs screen  show situations we dont have in NA. And they are a bad comparison in my opinion.

But yeah cloudshadows and sun reflections (when the sun lurks through the clouds) are missing.

Well I work with what I have, sorry. I am glad you see it too. 

Yes, with water detail at max but reflections off it looks a bit murky. Couldn't hurt to have the lighting projected along with the sky dome.

I simply turn them off not to have the ships reflected, looks surreal.

I've done quite a lot of blue water sailing, and as I recall there isn't actually a great deal of reflection of sky colours unless the sea is very flat indeed. But it's been fifteen years since I was last in the Caribbean and doubtless what I'm thinking of is the North and Irish seas, for which the NA colours look just right.

I'll maybe dig out some old photographs.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Remus said:

I've done quite a lot of blue water sailing, and as I recall there isn't actually a great deal of reflection of sky colours unless the sea is very flat indeed. But it's been fifteen years since I was last in the Caribbean and doubtless what I'm thinking of is the North and Irish seas, for which the NA colours look just right.

I'll maybe dig out some old photographs.

4 years active duty Navy and another 15+ Offshore Oil rig/drilling ships and merchant marine work and yah you hardly ever see anything other than shadows.  I mean in the persian gulf we had a few dead calms that even than you didn't see any reflections.  I had a few down off the coast of Brazil and India and it's pretty much all the same.  Your to worried about the dang freaking 1000000 degree hot sun beating on you with no wind to notice any reflections any way.

I don't think calm and north seas area allowed to be in the same sentence lol

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

4 years active duty Navy and another 15+ Offshore Oil rig/drilling ships and merchant marine work and yah you hardly ever see anything other than shadows.  I mean in the persian gulf we had a few dead calms that even than you didn't see any reflections.  I had a few down off the coast of Brazil and India and it's pretty much all the same.  Your to worried about the dang freaking 1000000 degree hot sun beating on you with no wind to notice any reflections any way.

I don't think calm and north seas area allowed to be in the same sentence lol

Though I'm not so salty, I grew up on the ocean sailing no less, and I agree completely. If there was enough wind to catch a sail, there was enough wind to ripple the water beyond reflection, to say nothing of waves.

• Like 2