Game-Labs Forum

Time Limit, Reputation Cap and Double Standards

This game is getting better and better with every patch but i do find a few things really annoying.

The first being the time limit and the required 20 minutes holding of an objective to have it captured. I just rage quited the battle of Cold Harbour when i playing as the Confedarates lost the entire battle because i didn't cap the objetive in time i.e. the timer ended LITERALLY A SINGLE MINUTE before i "captured" the little forest on the top of the map during the left flank phase, and this was caused by a 2800 strong Union brigade that charged my ranks and i was unable to rout them before they managed to occupy the point again (i did have 2 brigades defending it but i was outnumbered). There should always be a option to prolong a battle for an extra 30 minutes because i don't think that in real life there was a single instance where generals would retreat their forces at exactly 14:00 or 15:00 if there was a chance for a huge breakthrough or victory.

Reputation is a feature i really do like, it rewards you for winning battles by increasing your troops morale and giving you extra manpower or guns if they are urgently needed but i don't see why it is caped at all. The "logic" behind this implies that you can win every single minor and major engagment of the Civil War killing hundreds of thousand of enemies and destroying hundreds of guns but if you loose 2 battles like Chicamauga and Cold Harbour you lost the entire war. There shouldn't be a reputation cap but the morale bonus can stay at +15 so that it doesn't get overpowered.

Double standards i also find really annoying, but i dont know how prominent they are because i only noticed it once. Because i play two campaings the main one being with the Confederates and my "side" one with the Union, i play the battle of Chicamauga as the Confedarates first and managed to control all objective 1h before the timer ran out, and the game normally proceded to the next phase. So when i replayed the battle with the Union i didn't want to waste my elite 1 Division of the First Corps defending the two river passages on the left of the first phase. Resulting in the Confederates capturing them and i instantly lost that battle. There shouldn't be any double standards because it gives the AI an unfair advantage.

Edited by Acika011
  • Like 1

That sucks a lot man. Objectives and timers are inconsistent so that the devs can have flexibility on how hard a scenario will be and how aggressive they want to make the player be. It can be incredibly frustrating, but you have to think of it as them making a system where the player can't do gamey things. 

I always save a lot during battles in case of something stupid happening like your case with Cold Harbor. That and always save with an hour left on the main timer. 

I just finished Shiloh as Union on colonel level.  I held the first 2 zones just fine.  Next up is the Hornets nest but since i was holding the first 2 with no problem I just held my ground.  On my left I started to counter attack and push the confederates back.  Next we get Pittsburg Landing.  Again I still am holding hte first 2 objectives without mcuh effort.  I'm inflicting heavier casulaties and pushing them back and the suddenly Pittsburg Landing is taken by the confederates and i have 20 minutes to get it back, which is before Buell's forces show up in that scenario.

I lost an entire battle i am dominating because a cavalry unit of 250 stood on the flag at Pittsburg Landing.  I really wish we could eliminate these cheap changes of teh objectives.  

I also had no idea that when that 20 minutes was up, the battle was over and i would be defeated.  I still had over an hour on the overall clock.

I agree with OP there should be some better way to convey if the objective ends the scenario right away or not.  You only find this out after playing the battle through.

7 hours ago, jamieva said:

I just finished Shiloh as Union on colonel level.  I held the first 2 zones just fine.  Next up is the Hornets nest but since i was holding the first 2 with no problem I just held my ground.  On my left I started to counter attack and push the confederates back.  Next we get Pittsburg Landing.  Again I still am holding hte first 2 objectives without mcuh effort.  I'm inflicting heavier casulaties and pushing them back and the suddenly Pittsburg Landing is taken by the confederates and i have 20 minutes to get it back, which is before Buell's forces show up in that scenario.

I lost an entire battle i am dominating because a cavalry unit of 250 stood on the flag at Pittsburg Landing.  I really wish we could eliminate these cheap changes of teh objectives.  

I also had no idea that when that 20 minutes was up, the battle was over and i would be defeated.  I still had over an hour on the overall clock.

I agree with OP there should be some better way to convey if the objective ends the scenario right away or not.  You only find this out after playing the battle through.

The exact same thing happened to me my first battle in Shiloh. Rebel cavalry took the Indian Mounds at Pittsburg Landing and held them JUST long enough to break my defeat while I formulated an indominatable line at the Sunken Road in the Hornets Nest. . 

Never happened again, forewarned is forearmed. 

And, I have to admit, I did the same thing to them at Telegraph Road in Fredericksburg. Cavalry moving through the trees kicked them in the ass while my infantry was holding them by the nose. It was timed to put the cav at the right place at the right time to hold the objective just long enough to break their defense. 

Turn about is fair play. 

• Like 1

This just happened to me at Gettysburg as the Confederates. I destroyed every Union unit on the field on the first day; every unit of Buford's cavalry, all of the Ist Corps, and most of the XI Corps. .  but at the last minute a single Union unit charged in and 'contested' Cemetery Hill. It routed almost immediately because I had four brigades concentrating fire on it from the nearby woods, but it lasted just long enough to send me on to the second day, with the Union army standing strong on Cemetery Hill! Absolutely ridiculous.

On 4/9/2017 at 6:32 PM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

The exact same thing happened to me my first battle in Shiloh. Rebel cavalry took the Indian Mounds at Pittsburg Landing and held them JUST long enough to break my defeat while I formulated an indominatable line at the Sunken Road in the Hornets Nest. . 

Never happened again, forewarned is forearmed. 

And, I have to admit, I did the same thing to them at Telegraph Road in Fredericksburg. Cavalry moving through the trees kicked them in the ass while my infantry was holding them by the nose. It was timed to put the cav at the right place at the right time to hold the objective just long enough to break their defense. 

Turn about is fair play. 

I did the same thing at Telegraph road today.  I used Grant and just rode him around all the Confederates and planted him there.  Nobody showed up to throw him off it for 20 minutes.  It's a cheese but it's something i would like to see them remove.  Having a general on the spot should not count as "controlling it"