Game-Labs Forum
admin

Forthcoming changes in the next testbed patch

4 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

Remember that all ships will be gray, there will be no crafting quality anymore.

So the inly difference between your ship and the captured ship is the wood/trim and whatever knowledge/permanents it has on.

Edit: as the admin says, there are no gold ships anymore. Don't even think shops are gray, there are just not ship qualities anymore. All woods and trims and regional bonuses aren't affected by quality, they have a base value now.

Do we know if captured player ships will retain their permanents?

• Like 1

All this sounds good and I'm sure it will make the game better.

20 hours ago, admin said:

Sailing a ship and getting kills will add to XP on that ship that will unlock knowledge slots over time (currently all ships have 5 slots). 

If this particular XP grind includes PVE activities we can almost be sure of what will happen: People will føkk off to some OW corner and grind out the XP for their fav. ship(s) and wait with PVP until they're fully "PVP ready". It may not be a problem for most of you but I find it sub-optimal.

What if we don't get to pimp our ships by bullying bots?

I know this will be controversial because people like the ability to "level up" in complete safety. Even with the already implemented PVP XP multiplier it has always been more time efficient to shit on bots instead of risking it all with PVP action.

Of course, I'm only talking about the PVP servers. I don't care in the least how they do it on PVE.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rouleur said:

Throwing stuff overboard to lighten a ship for speed or avoid sinking was pretty common.

this was highly dependent on the cargo type, and generally took time, effort and was extremely difficult to offload properly even when the ship is at anchor. offloading an entire load of live oak with the right click of a mouse is not realistic nor is it good gameplay.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, admin said:

The ship is the reward. If that ship permit required lets say 10pvp marks to craft this means you captured 10 pvp marks.
If you sank it (taking it out of the enemy fleet) admiralty provides you with the rewards.

I like that very much !

52 minutes ago, TaranisPrime said:

I thought from a previous post that there were to be a quality difference between player crafted ships and AI ships.  If that is the case, the next question becomes: is a captured player ship treated as an AI ship, or does it retain it's specifications.  I certainly would prefer the former - it would really improve the pvp game play and reward of capturing player ships.

you get player ships as they are - there are no and will be no restrictions on this. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, admin said:

The number of problem with decision making on surrender is hard to tackle at this stage.. there are so many ifs that only a complex system can solve of them. 
For example. Who he does surrender to? What if he is under fire? What if your teammates don't want his surrender and want to sink him? And many other issues.

I would really like to see surrender options in NA. I remember Potbs, there was something like surrender offer to the attackers. How did they solve thin in Potbs? Maybe there are some good concepts you can copy and transfer to NA, so your questions can be answered.

I think there are much players who would like to see something like that in NA. An older suggestion about surrender mechanics

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, admin said:

trading ships will be fully unlocked. Maybe gunned trading ships will have lower knowledge thresholds

Any way to Link it to distance sailed or profits made with the ship? 

Traders need some sort of game play, also it helps with getting people out in the ow!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daguse said:

Any way to Link it to distance sailed or profits made with the ship? 

Traders need some sort of game play, also it helps with getting people out in the ow!

Mile-tons.  Tie ship XP to mile-tons of travel.  5000 Ship XP could be 5 tons 1000 miles or 5000 tons 1 mile.  With numbers like 30,000 or 100,000 mile-tons of travel required, you could have people do a lot of short hops, or fewer long hauls.  And it encourages traders to be laden with materials.

• Like 6

In fact, code-wise I'd think it'd be pretty easy.  Copy the code for travel XP (the XP you get going from one port to another), add a multiplier based on the cargo weight, and apply it to the ship XP.  Would be worth the short amount of time it would take to code in.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, admin said:

new reward system (that is already on testbed) is somewhat harsh (compared to relaxed Early access edition) but fair and solves almost every abuse issue. 
If you sink the enemy you get the rewards (xp and marks and maybe money)
If you capture the enemy (or he surrendered) you get the ship (and no rewards)
In addition to that there is a recently killed timer (1hr) that does not give you any reward if you kill that player again within 1 hour (limiting the marks farming on Alts)

I liked it so far, it stil pays out decently, but your not going to get rich quick and even if you farm multi alts its still going to take folks a long time to do so.

3 hours ago, admin said:

The number of problem with decision making on surrender is hard to tackle at this stage.. there are so many ifs that only a complex system can solve of them. 
For example. Who he does surrender to? What if he is under fire? What if your teammates don't want his surrender and want to sink him? And many other issues.

We know it can take a while, but would still be nice to have the option.  Kinda like the POTBS system had where you can offer up a portion of your cargo.  There are many times I would just let a new guy or poor broke guy go after I tag the, demast them and take most there crew.  Just as I'm about to board them I tell them to have a nice day, tip my hat and off for other fights/adventures and remind them to stay out of pirate waters.

3 hours ago, admin said:

The ship is the reward. If that ship permit required lets say 10pvp marks to craft this means you captured 10 pvp marks.
If you sank it (taking it out of the enemy fleet) admiralty provides you with the rewards.

I assume we still get the XP pay out though, but I'm fine with the ship being reward

2 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

What will be the difference in crafted ships versus captured AI ships (4th rate and lower ships)?

Can we assume capturing AI ships of the line still get taken by the admiralty?

Right now we get a slight bonus when we craft  a ship over the same build from a note or NPC ship.  Do we still get this slight perk in stats on player built ships over NPC built ships?

2 hours ago, TaranisPrime said:

I thought from a previous post that there were to be a quality difference between player crafted ships and AI ships.  If that is the case, the next question becomes: is a captured player ship treated as an AI ship, or does it retain it's specifications.  I certainly would prefer the former - it would really improve the pvp game play and reward of capturing player ships.

That is the older Decemebt shipcrafting post I believe where they where talking about doing more than one tiers like a PC, NPC, and Rare ships pretty much.

1 hour ago, TaranisPrime said:

Do we know if captured player ships will retain their permanents?

This is good to know as it saves you having to make the refit for said ship, but I think admin posted right after that it retains every thing.  Going to make capture other ships than SOL's very interesting.

44 minutes ago, Sven Silberbart said:

I would really like to see surrender options in NA. I remember Potbs, there was something like surrender offer to the attackers. How did they solve thin in Potbs? Maybe there are some good concepts you can copy and transfer to NA, so your questions can be answered.

I think there are much players who would like to see something like that in NA. An older suggestion about surrender mechanics

I think this is the only way a surrender system would properly work that gives up part of cargo and lets them go free.  I still wouldn't mind something like this cause some times it's just tagging and letting folks your blockaiding a port that sets teh point in than just sinking every one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, admin said:
    • All crafted ships will only have wood type and trim (designed by crafter). Every ship will have 3 permanent upgrades which will allow installation of bow figures and regional refits (crafteable permanent upgrade)

do i read this right that under the new system one ship could have multiple region refits? or will this be coded to allow only one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Mile-tons.  Tie ship XP to mile-tons of travel.  5000 Ship XP could be 5 tons 1000 miles or 5000 tons 1 mile.  With numbers like 30,000 or 100,000 mile-tons of travel required, you could have people do a lot of short hops, or fewer long hauls.  And it encourages traders to be laden with materials.

There is all ready an xp for travel so this isn't that hard.   I would take it the traders would have only a few perks to them to learn, but would be interesting.  Specially if i can set up something like my boarding LGV I use for trader hunting.  Thus he gets XP from not only running hauls but his combat so ya'h he's going to be the better ship.

3 minutes ago, CatSwift said:

do i read this right that under the new system one ship could have multiple region refits? or will this be coded to allow only one.

I'm hoping they do a slot just for regional perk.  Kinda like how you have the one slot for paint.  Sounds like it can be added at any time too.  So if you craft a ship but don't have the refit for it yet you can take it out and start getting the expeierence in that ship until you get the refit.   Maybe even chang out refits on a ship to change out the build.  Just like how you can change out the perm mods right now by destroying them.

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

This is good to know as it saves you having to make the refit for said ship, but I think admin posted right after that it retains every thing.  Going to make capture other ships than SOL's very interesting.

Indeed.  Reading into the "no restrictions" answer, it does imply that permanents, trim, etc, convey.  This will make pvp (and boarding) much more tempting - particularly for nations that do not have certain resources.

48 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Tie trader ship XP to non-combat missions such as war supply, delivery missions or any new non-combat missions implying sailing in enemy waters.

IMO that'd be more interesting and challenging than just farming travel XP while trading, whatever the tonnage (which favours rich players).

Examples of non-combat missions :

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TaranisPrime said:

Indeed.  Reading into the "no restrictions" answer, it does imply that permanents, trim, etc, convey.  This will make pvp (and boarding) much more tempting - particularly for nations that do not have certain resources.

Speaking of boarding.

@admin with these changes how are marines going to be handled.  I seen smoe mention on the Russian Q&A about restrictions and keeping marines to 10-20% crew and more close to historic figures of 150-200 marines on board.  I would say it be nice if every one has 10% across the board marines no matter what and than add a perk/mod that allows a bit more to match up to 10% percentage but never going over the cap you placed there for the crew.  Maybe part of the ship progressions.  I know this will kill board fit only builds we have now, but to be honest you didn't see 99% of the ships back than set up for boarding only in fights like we have in some fights now a days with folks with rare gold mods (I have many myself).

Unless more crafting options get added, it seems like there will be far less variety of ships encountered - especially if we all progress through exactly the same learned experience - and have no ability to learn different things.    Previously you didn't know if someone had boarding mods, or which officer perks they selected.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ElricTheTwo said:

Previously you didn't know if someone had boarding mods, or which officer perks they selected.

you still won't know this under the new system; the old "mods" will now be "ship skills" which you can set per experienced ship type before you leave port.

If there are enough 'selectable' skills, that could be good.  I guess we have to wait and see how much picking and choosing you can do, and how much is just preset for you.

In one way I like this.  Currently you can give gold mods to all clan members whether they have earned them or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatSwift said:

Until Admin clarifies, yes, you're reading it right. You could literally have 3 regional bonuses as your permanent slots.

Effectively you could have a ship like this:

1. Wood - Bermuda Cedar

2. Trim - Speed

3. Perm/Regionals - Pirate refit, Nassau Boarders, Speed

what an absolutely dirty setup.

or this:

1. Wood - Live Oak

2. Trim - Build Strength

3. Perm/Regionals - Build Strength, Strong Hull, Northern Carpenters

The combinations are actually quite vast once you start imagining what regional bonus combinations you can do. imagine having french, british, and spanish refit. 17.5% increase cannon accuracy, 7.5% cannon reload bonus, 6% turning, 1% speed, .05 main sail force.

Adding on the figureheads, you could find some really cool options, although currently the figureheads on the testbed server are inferior to many of the "must have" regional bonuses.

3 hours ago, TaranisPrime said:

I believe so as well.

the captured ship will retain the owners Permanent slots, Although judging by what the Admin has said previously, you could decide to refit it differently to your liking.

Edited by Teutonic

Admin can you confirm 'National Reputation' system? Do you think we are going to be able to Improve/loose standing with different nations similar to potbs type by doing missions, sinking players/npcs or other ways. I've noticed you mention Missions, so that is why I am asking here. If so, do you think this is possible to add in the next Patch with Mission overhaul? 

I think Reputaion is another big step forward for those who want to become Celebrated with most Nations and use reputation bonuses as rewards. 

Thanks.

Edited by Ned Loe

Question guys?  Is the test server worth giving a go until the two main servers are wiped???!? 

Can't be bothered with pvpeu1 until the wipe happens...! But is the test server worth a punt? Cheers in advance 

25 minutes ago, monk33y said:

Question guys?  Is the test server worth giving a go until the two main servers are wiped???!? 

Can't be bothered with pvpeu1 until the wipe happens...! But is the test server worth a punt? Cheers in advance 

Not really, not yet unless there is something specific you want to look at or try out. Even then, most players would probably do better waiting till the patch next week.

I'm there right now building crafting xp and generally taking a look around, but current Testbed is still a long way from what we'll see on PvP Global in a couple of weeks.

28 minutes ago, monk33y said:

A few folks have been checking it out - to get a sense of what is to come.  Don't expect pvp though....  the most we have seen at a time was 8 players (7 of which were part of the same clan) just checking out fleet battles.  We did find a bug though - so it serves its purpose.

3 hours ago, monk33y said:

get a group of guys together to test it out. Alone it's pretty boring unless you have a specific goal in mind.
That said, also would probably be better to wait until the Devs bring out the new testbed patch in a week or so

• Like 1