Game-Labs Forum
admin

Forthcoming changes in the next testbed patch

I don't want to be the only one a bit surprised here but....well...I am a bit surprised

That's a lot of changes in one hit.

I think changeing so much in one go makes it difficult to really see how something works.

It's like giving three medicines for one illness....you not quite sure which was good and which were not.

But I will test it and see....

• Like 1

This all sounds great to me. I'm only just getting to the point that I could do my first port battle, and I'd rather see those full of 74's than matching heavy first rates. Hopefully the permits for the third rates are significantly easier to get.

7 hours ago, Remus said:

Already in place on Testbed, though I hadn't realised till someone pointed it out to me. Load the ship in port, select another ship, add first ship to fleet and tick the box. At the other end move to docks and unload. But I don't think on current testbed build you can access fleet ships' holds in the end of battle screen.

I know right now you can't adjust the cargo while at see by adding or taking out from it.  You have to be in port.  This means you can't put a ship in fleet with cargo yet.  They are working on that.   So you can capture a trader and than send it to fleet.  Right now you have to still take that ship back to port if you want to keep the goods on it.

13 hours ago, Captain Bonny said:

How does that work for trade ships, as they can't get exp through kills?

trading ships will be fully unlocked. Maybe gunned trading ships will have lower knowledge thresholds

• Like 4

Absolutely love the sound of the repair changes, so many avenues just opened.

Cargo space starts to matter for combat ships. With the new shipcrafting system, an open waters ship may be crafted to be as fast as possible, but have less space for sail repairs, and vice versa. Or maybe it will have thicker armour at the expense of cargo space (aka hull repair kits) and speed. In larger battles, people might be filled to the brim with hull repairs expecting a brawl, but then become dead in the water once their sails get cut and there's no sail repair kits to be found. Barely staying alive inside fights in order to scavenge materials from fallen foes to keep fighting.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, admin said:

trading ships will be fully unlocked. Maybe gunned ships will have lower knowledge thresholds

I know PvP1 guys broke theirs.  Is there a way we can just have all alliances broken until patch cause of low server pop right now we have the super mega allainc rolling nations and your going to just run off more players with them one porting every one until the patch a month from now.   Most of us are taking off or will be on Testbed as we see absolutely no reason to play on main live server fight now.  Maybe give us some rare ships to goof around with too, like the mass majority of PvP2 has never even seen the SC unless they where the few rare ones built while the BP was dropped for a few hours.

Someone brought up a good point earlier about PVP marks, how do you plan to stop alt abuse of farming for PVP marks? Maybe you only get marks if the person sank is of similar or greater BR or XP level? Although that is still farmable by alts (the alts would get the marks).

10 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Someone brought up a good point earlier about PVP marks, how do you plan to stop alt abuse of farming for PVP marks? Maybe you only get marks if the person sank is of similar or greater BR or XP level? Although that is still farmable by alts (the alts would get the marks).

new reward system (that is already on testbed) is somewhat harsh (compared to relaxed Early access edition) but fair and solves almost every abuse issue. 
If you sink the enemy you get the rewards (xp and marks and maybe money)
If you capture the enemy (or he surrendered) you get the ship (and no rewards)
In addition to that there is a recently killed timer (1hr) that does not give you any reward if you kill that player again within 1 hour (limiting the marks farming on Alts)

• Like 9

14 hours ago, koltes said:

2. With no more officer life to protect - surrender button should put surrendered player at winner's mercy giving him the decision to slaughter crew, inspect and take whatever cargo he wants to take, or ask for ransom or even let go so surrender should not always mean a loss. Player might talk his way out of the situation.

The number of problem with decision making on surrender is hard to tackle at this stage.. there are so many ifs that only a complex system can solve of them. 
For example. Who he does surrender to? What if he is under fire? What if your teammates don't want his surrender and want to sink him? And many other issues.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, admin said:

If you capture the enemy (or he surrendered) you get the ship (and no rewards)

Why did you remove rewards for capturing someone? Didn't most of the battles in real life result in ships surrendering / getting captured rather than being sunk?

15 minutes ago, admin said:

In addition to that there is a recently killed timer (1hr) that does not give you any reward if you kill that player again within 1 hour (limiting the marks farming on Alts)

I know a few people that own 5+ alts. So it would still be possible to farm 5 times per hour.
I also know this issue is not easy to fix. But I think a better solution has to be found. Alt-Abusing should, in my opinion, be treated much more harshly. I'm well aware of the fact that you as a Game-Developpment-Team have no interest in banning alts, since the'yre a good income to keep the game going. Still think it should be made very clear to the players that alt abuse, if caught, has serious consequences.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Didn't most of the battles in real life result in ships surrendering / getting captured rather than being sunk?

Yes. Would be presented to Prize Court and absorbed into the system, not granted to the captain except for a parcel of its Admiralty value.

( Alas you'd sail what the Admiralty would give you, not what you wanted, by promotion and station )

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Why did you remove rewards for capturing someone? Didn't most of the battles in real life result in ships surrendering / getting captured rather than being sunk?

The ship is the reward. If that ship permit required lets say 10pvp marks to craft this means you captured 10 pvp marks.
If you sank it (taking it out of the enemy fleet) admiralty provides you with the rewards.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, admin said:

The ship is the reward. If that ship permit required lets say 10pvp marks to craft this means you captured 10 pvp marks.
If you sank it (taking it out of the enemy fleet) admiralty provides you with the rewards.

Okay, sounds good.
New question: Will it be possible to convert captured ships (which are worth a certain amount of PvP marks) into PvP marks with which you can buy other items from the admirality store? Or What are the options to do with a caputed ships which is worth a certain amount of PvP marks?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

28 minutes ago, admin said:

new reward system (that is already on testbed) is somewhat harsh (compared to relaxed Early access edition) but fair and solves almost every abuse issue.

From what I could see there isn't currently a distinction between PvP and PVE marks. In the admiralty shop you can select to exchange your marks for a PvP something (I forget the name) or a crafting something else, one ultimately giving you ships, the other one blueprints (and other things besides in both categories), but the marks themselves were the same. Will this change so we get different marks for PvP and PvE?

10 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Okay, sounds good.
New question: Will it be possible to convert captured ships (which are worth a certain amount of PvP marks) into PvP marks with which you can buy other items from the admirality store? Or What are the options to do with a caputed ships which is worth a certain amount of PvP marks?

you convert by sinking that ship in instance. in this case everyone who participated might get assists for that ship as well. If you convert it elsewhere it will be hard to count assists thus we encourage players to sink if they want marks. And capture if they want the ship

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, admin said:

The number of problem with decision making on surrender is hard to tackle at this stage.. there are so many ifs that only a complex system can solve of them. 
For example. Who he does surrender to? What if he is under fire? What if your teammates don't want his surrender and want to sink him? And many other issues.

We don't need to complicate things at all. Just slightly adjust what we have now until the time you can tune it further.

Current mechanic:

1. Player surrenders and the winning side has no way to stop that;

2. Someone gets the kill (depending on damage caused);

3. That someone can put crew on it (has to board) or make ship available to other to board.

New mechanic:

1. Players surrenders (at his own will or accepting demands of the attackers);

2. Someone gets the kill (depending on damage caused);

3. Surrendered player can quit the battle (and lose everything including the crew), thus leaving the winner to deal with the ship as he would have now. Or surrendered player may choose to stay until he gets boarded and the winner decides his fate;

4. The winner gets access to the ship and its cargo which he may decide to take or leave. The winner can take the ship, but spare the crew (surrendered player teleports to nearest friendly port). Or he may let him go and surrendered player gets back control of the ship and spawns in the open world.

What will be the difference in crafted ships versus captured AI ships (4th rate and lower ships)?

Can we assume capturing AI ships of the line still get taken by the admiralty?

Surrendering should have some kind of compensation for the one who decided to surrender, like you dont have to hire the crew needed for the captured vessel.

If not, all the people will prefer to sink the ship.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes but if the ship is a "grey" ship as opposed to a "gold" ship, then its a rather stale reward.  Note that this perspective may change based on the general availability of AI generated ships at port - in other words, even Grey ships could become valuable, if their availability is otherwise diminished.

1 minute ago, TaranisPrime said:

Yes but if the ship is a "grey" ship as opposed to a "gold" ship, then its a rather stale reward.  Note that this perspective may change based on the general availability of AI generated ships at port - in other words, even Grey ships could become valuable, if their availability is otherwise diminished.

there are no gold ships any more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TaranisPrime said:

Remember that all ships will be gray, there will be no crafting quality anymore.

So the only difference between your ship and the captured ship is the wood/trim and whatever knowledge/permanents it has on.

Edit: as the admin says, there are no gold ships anymore. Don't even think ships as "gray", there are just not ship qualities anymore. All woods and trims and regional bonuses aren't affected by quality, they have a base value now.

Edited by Teutonic

Just now, admin said:

there are no gold ships any more. 

I thought from a previous post that there were to be a quality difference between player crafted ships and AI ships.  If that is the case, the next question becomes: is a captured player ship treated as an AI ship, or does it retain it's specifications.  I certainly would prefer the former - it would really improve the pvp game play and reward of capturing player ships.

1 minute ago, TaranisPrime said:

I thought from a previous post that there were to be a quality difference between player crafted ships and AI ships.  If that is the case, the next question becomes: is a captured player ship treated as an AI ship, or does it retain it's specifications.  I certainly would prefer the former - it would really improve the pvp game play and reward of capturing player ships.

i remember it too... but then admin says all ships will become grey, seems good to me if we have more personalization in crafting and trims and upgrades

• Like 2