Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Forthcoming changes in the next testbed patch

Recommended Posts

I still think if you want people to sail in the open world you NEED a huge time compression system. Otherwise unlike most games. It's just so time consuming that 99% of people don't have the time. When out of sight of any human ships time compression (no matter how silly it looks) should be a player selected option, perhaps with a 10minute count when you have been in sight of an enemy ship but now out of sight? Out of sight = time compression and if people cannot catch people by keeping them in sight so be it, they are gone. This is my most sincere suggestion for making the game popular even among die hard fans who don't have the time to waste on the open ocean. At least try it in a testbed? But perhaps it's just too much dev time for what the PVP crowd consider a redundant option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

Is it useful / essential on the PvE server ?

Meaning bot capture is useless. Less fun/gameplay for PvE-ers. Very understandable in a PvP context. But in PvE context, bot capture simulates player ship capture.

Suggestion for PvE server : making captured bots (almost ?) as useful as crafted ships. 

Suggestion for PvP server : Can't we imagine that it isn't bot capture that is useless but its potential use ? Meaning a player captures a bot, then :

- If he uses it in a PvE instance, against another bot, the captured bot works as a good ship with great performance,

- but if he uses it in a PvP instance, against a player, the same captured bot is useless.

I don't understand the problem. You can still capture ships, combat is unchanged and so, I would think, would be the feeling of satisfaction.

I haven't seen anything suggesting that NPC ships will stop carrying valuable cargo, so you still get a financial reward from capturing traders, even if the ship itself is useless.

Ships ought to be easy enough to craft on PvE so you should not need to rely on capturing a ship to get your next vessel to sail in - but here I am making a number of assumptions as we don't yet know how players will obtain resources from other nations, and on PvE all those resource-rich Spanish ports will remain Spanish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Indeed a suggestion. But I will refrain from doing more in here until we have a full clarification or the patch hits testbed, then we can test and see what's happening.

I hope you won't stop posting your own opinions on these threads, Hethwill. They are well-informed, interesting to read and - where they agree with our own - make us feel like we have a champion feeding our own views to the dev team.

Can we have an official Hethwill and an unofficial one as well, so we know whether you are posting on behalf of Game Labs or as a fan of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Remus said:

I don't understand the problem. You can still capture ships, combat is unchanged and so, I would think, would be the feeling of satisfaction.

Satisfaction in capturing a ship obviously comes not only from wining the fight but also in :

1) Selecting a ship in OW depending on her class (if you want to sail her) or her market price (if you want to sell her)

3) Being able to use her in combat or selling her

Sometimes, capturing a ship also allow to test and use in combat a ship to can't afford in some other way.

If it's just a matter of winning the fight, you just need to sink her.

5 minutes ago, Remus said:

Ships ought to be easy enough to craft on PvE so you should not need to rely on capturing a ship to get your next vessel to sail in 

The diametric opposite of my suggestion for the same purpose. But yours forces devs to design an entire new crafting system for PvE server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2017 at 4:46 PM, admin said:

that the vicious circle we thought we were fixing but in fact it made it worse. 
We thought
Faster travel will lead to more pvp 
But no.. 
it wont.. 

faster travel = less people on ow= less pvp = less people on ow = even less pvp.

The more people are on the OW the faster you will find pvp. We turn it into the virtuous circle. 

  1. No teleports 
  2. More people on OW
  3. Less time to find pvp
  4. More people on OW 
  5. Even less time to find pvp
  6. ...

But yes - more sailing time in some parts of the world. 

We got less PVP because you are killing the game population with an infinite, exasperating waltz of changes (introducing new features, removing things, bringing back old things), apparently following not a clear, precise path. At the moment seeing Naval Action released appears as a pure utopia. On the other hand, many key aspects of the game are still unchanged (boarding, Ui, Tutorial for new players), while you keep modifyng battles mechanics and damage model (by far the best and more solid features of your game). After so many months of development and testing, I think that we should have at least a core of features and in-game mechanics that should be labelled as "definitive"...instead Naval Action is still a 100% fluid project, without any kind of solid foundation to start from. Moreover, soon population will be splitted into two different servers (a "folie" in my opinion). To sum up, if population stays so low, we need teleports and tow requests to be able to be present where the few chances to PVP are avaliable. A time sinking game keeps people away from playing, a low populated OW (with let's say...200-250 players) it's simply unsustainable...forcing people to sail for hours in an almost empty OW is a suicidal strategy. Obviously I hope to be 100% wrong :(.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the test server - thank you for it - the quantity of NPC ships is very pleasing. Way more trade ships with a few frigate patrols here and there.

Too many changes and most seem good and build a good age of sail game. When will this update be available ?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Perhaps instead of making captured NPC ships worthless, which breaks immersion and unfairly targets new players. You should do what we've been requesting months and months ago: remove the vast majority of AI warships and replace them with AI traders instead.

Maybe make it a rare occurrence to see anything larger than a 1-3 frigate fleet? That way crafters and traders are primarily focused on 4th rates and above, plus the region refits. New players can still find and cap 5-7th rates in relative peace, but in lower densities?

... that was done... weeks, if not >1 month ago...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

Useless captured bots are intended to :

- favour crafters

- increase OW PvP (captures of player's ships + more player traders in OW).

Quite a logical reasoning on a PvP server.

Non-crafters/hunters like you are expected to buy crafted ships or hunt players.

Captured bots being less performing than crafted ship is understandable in a PvP context.

I can see some logic in this with a big player base... but I think players may not bother so much with ai fleets at all if the rewards are taken away completely which means less players on the OW.

For example AI ships will be random wood, trim etc and would never replace crafted ones built to your own specs but as a stop gap for a skint player or someone who likes to play as a ner do well I don't see the problem?

I craft some ships i am level 32 but for newer players an AI  capture is a nice goal especially as we are all 1 dura now.

Edited by Honourable Bluetooth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulchen said:

Any news when Testbed goes online?

Or is it already online? How can i start it?

No. No. Go through steam. Right click game. Properties. Betas I believe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paulchen said:

Any news when Testbed goes online?

Or is it already online? How can i start it?

 

  • Find the game in your steam library
  • Right click and go to properties
  • Go to Beta tab
  • Enter the key - key FcaH2KzZXutz
  • Select the beta called: Testbed

http://i.imgur.com/Vkv9SPP.png

Edited by Captain Bonny
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

... that was done... weeks, if not >1 month ago...

So Wraith is asking for them to put what actually successfully worked on the testbed into a live server patch?  Instead of say, something unknown?  Interesting concept

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

The diametric opposite of my suggestion for the same purpose. But yours forces devs to design an entire new crafting system for PvE server.

Why? The problem of obtaining resources from enemies is probably even more important in PvP, and I for one am very interested in seeing what the devs come up with to overcome it. Yes, we can fight port battles win the ports for our nation, but with Live Oak confined to two ports and Cedar in just one, most nations will be missing some critical resources.

I would have thought there were plenty of players who want to craft on PvE and their biggest problem is not obtaining resources but finding people in need of ships. But I rarely spend time on PvE myself and I don't want to appear as one of those PvP players who think everyone should play the game their way.

Do you play as a pirate? PotBS had different ship capture rules and crafting for pirates. As far as I am aware, NA does not. Perhaps it should?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Let's just all test this please. 

Well if they ever update the testbed

4 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

... that was done... weeks, if not >1 month ago...

On testbed only

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

So Wraith is asking for them to put what actually successfully worked on the testbed into a live server patch?  Instead of say, something unknown?  Interesting concept

Yah many of us have stated why did they stop patching the current stuff to live when they came out with the new stuff that is coming patch?  They act like it's all part of this new patch and it's not.  They could of updated the live with current tetbed structure stuff, Pirate vs Pirate and the change to AI and gave us something to play with on live while we wait for the patch update.

But instead we are going have to wait prob another month for anything to hit live and maybe another week for anything to be updated to testbed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've never logged onto the test bed, then you really have little room for criticism here...   Check it out people.  You might just like what you see.  That is, unless your main point of enjoyment is a good whinge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

If you've never logged onto the test bed, then you really have little room for criticism here...   Check it out people.  You might just like what you see.  That is, unless your main point of enjoyment is a good whinge.

As someone who does play on Testbed - if only to increase my crafting level for when the new patch arrives - I'd say there's nothing for 90% of the players to do. The patch we are all writing about here isn't yet on Testbed and we don't really know which features currently on Testbed will make it onto Live. Sure, the AI fleets look better - and it looks like they will stay - but that's hardly a reason to play there.

Incidentally, regarding AI fleets, there seems to be a lot more random nation ships sailing around. My crafting operation is all in Belize which is British surrounded by Spain, but there are often French ships to be seen which I've never seen on a live server. This of course provides a potential exit route for players being chased by an enemy - one which I don't recall being discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been testing all kind of odd combat situations even if it is only against AI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not angry or aggressive.  I'm merely commenting that people should try the test bed before they comment. Some things have already changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Remus said:

Why? The problem of obtaining resources from enemies is probably even more important in PvP, and I for one am very interested in seeing what the devs come up with to overcome it. Yes, we can fight port battles win the ports for our nation, but with Live Oak confined to two ports and Cedar in just one, most nations will be missing some critical resources.

I would have thought there were plenty of players who want to craft on PvE and their biggest problem is not obtaining resources but finding people in need of ships. But I rarely spend time on PvE myself and I don't want to appear as one of those PvP players who think everyone should play the game their way.

Do you play as a pirate? PotBS had different ship capture rules and crafting for pirates. As far as I am aware, NA does not. Perhaps it should?

I think this problem may spectacularly solve itself.

Currently in game you can smuggle and buy live oak from the USA coast and teleport it to the Dutch home waters if you want to.  You can use an alt to pop up factories and also teleport it to you main Dutch builder character.  So today if you go into a port battle Live Oak is the standard everywhere. So if you want to PB you need Live Oak to compete.  Plus those PB ships have multiple Live Oak dura.  So for PBs most other wood types have little to no value.

But in the new patch all that live oak has to be sailed out of the USA. No matter if the USA players sell it, an alt logging camps it and allies won't exist.  This will slow the market dispersion of live oak and the 1dura system will speed up its removal.  This will make Mahogany ships more valuable and with x6 producing ports give everyone something to fight over.  Now as Live Oak ships become more rare even a Teak or Oak ship isn't that bad anymore. It's just not perfect.  Let's be honest, in a PB if your the chosen alpha strike target live oak wasn't likely saving you anyway. It was the fact that ships next dura will still be live oak.  

Further, if the Agamemnon BP becomes rare again the 4th rates PBs will become less dependent of live oak Agamemnon's. So stacking live oak armor and structure on top of the Aggy's already exaggerated armor and structure will become less vital to competive contests.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2017 at 0:00 PM, Ned Loe said:

"Fresh Planks and Rig Kits" Wholesale store is opening soon in Charlestown. Come visit our massive inventory for all your sailing needs. We buy wood in bulk. B)

Awesome work Devs. 

Quick suggestions:

We are currently researching the ability to interact with the hold of sinking ships as well (if you are close and the ship is still above water)

-Interacting with sinking ships is not a smart move. Instead add this. If ship sinks add the ability to pick up floating debris. (Floating Planks and Crates animation on water). Much less cargo spawn compared to captured ships. Let ship model sink and spawn debris under it. (Once ship is dead spawn crates+planks right under it, so when it slowly sinks debris will slowly appear from the ship bottom.)

-Add ability to expand cargo holds. This demand will only grow with time. More cargo hold = less guns. This feature will allow players to convert battle ships into Fake Battle/Trader ships. You never know what you will find if you are hunting. Let's call it 'Stripped ships'.

-Make Marks Trad-able. Brings business to PvP world, let's everyone enjoy rewards for cash if they don't feel like fighting players. Reward hunters and let them sell their marks for $$$, this will keep em on OS hunting for more. 

Everything about this I love..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bach said:

I think this problem may spectacularly solve itself.

Currently in game you can smuggle and buy live oak from the USA coast and teleport it to the Dutch home waters if you want to.  You can use an alt to pop up factories and also teleport it to you main Dutch builder character.  So today if you go into a port battle Live Oak is the standard everywhere. So if you want to PB you need Live Oak to compete.  Plus those PB ships have multiple Live Oak dura.  So for PBs most other wood types have little to no value.

But in the new patch all that live oak has to be sailed out of the USA. No matter if the USA players sell it, an alt logging camps it and allies won't exist.  This will slow the market dispersion of live oak and the 1dura system will speed up its removal.  This will make Mahogany ships more valuable and with x6 producing ports give everyone something to fight over.  Now as Live Oak ships become more rare even a Teak or Oak ship isn't that bad anymore. It's just not perfect.  Let's be honest, in a PB if your the chosen alpha strike target live oak wasn't likely saving you anyway. It was the fact that ships next dura will still be live oak.  

Further, if the Agamemnon BP becomes rare again the 4th rates PBs will become less dependent of live oak Agamemnon's. So stacking live oak armor and structure on top of the Aggy's already exaggerated armor and structure will become less vital to competive contests.

Pretty much spot on, as we will see this with the new patch and for a while we are prob going to see a big mix of ships as folks gather resources and can only make certain ships.   Might be a good change than the norm meta of certain type of ships.  Even more so with the SOL's going to take more to build and have.  They won't be a meta for every one to bring there rare 1st rates except for very important battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
9 hours ago, Bach said:

 

Exactly. The concerns about resource distribution may be completely unwarranted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AxIslander said:

@adminits the end of the week, any chance for that new patch? or will there be a third delay?

Was there a date? Where did you see that?

Is there a delay? Where did you see that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...