Game-Labs Forum
admin

Forthcoming changes in the next testbed patch

2 hours ago, admin said:

Try to think of this place as your channel, how do you talk to your users in comments? 

We never troll players, we always try to explain our positions, if they ask questions we try to answer them (unless the questions are lost in the noise of crap that off topic posters spread). Sometimes our answers may sound too direct but we never address the players the way some players address us (or other players on this forum).

It seems to me that you are one of the guys who would fully support our decision to ban the bastards (idiots, jerks) who posted dying animal videos here in this topic/and this forum. 

So we are going to continue with this way and treat players with respect if they treat others the same way. But we are going to ban the bastards, idiots, jerks from now.  Removing them will let everyone talk about problems and features without wasting time on filtering pizzacrap noise ..

Right @Christendom? Only trolls would be upset if trolls are banned on the spot; critics would be happy because removing trolls (who create noise), leaves  room and space and share of voice to constructive critics.

And yet I find tagging me here to be a bit antagonizing, wouldn't you say so.  Are you suggesting I'm a troll sir?  Picking fights doth not a good community manager make.  Certainly you have more important things to do with your time than teach little ole me lessons?

Now yesterday I had one post deleted off the thread that was critical, but yet contained no memes, pizza or dead animals.  Zero troll.   @slaught on Monday had a similar post deleted where he was critical without using memes.   I saw several others wiped out that were deemed unworthy as well.  Either take constructive criticism or don't.  Taking it selectively is wrong and gives off the censorship look   

Anyway, you're right.  I do get salty about this game.  I've invested many hours and multiple accounts into it, as many others have, and it's disappointing to see it taken down paths that are clearly folly.  You have a unique opportunity here with NA and if you could just get out of your own way. 

You don't like some of my posts and that's ok, I don't like all of them either.  I am however one of the few people here that is going out of his way to organize the community via nation and server meetings hopefully in an attempts to balance out Dev mistakes.  I don't need to do this, and I could just become one of your passive followers on here who like everyone of your posts.  Despite my untowards appearance I do give a shit.  Keep antagonizing me and I'll just stop.

You've got bigger fish to fry, go do it 

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Christendom said:

You don't like some of my posts and that's ok, I don't like all of them either.  I am however one of the few people here that is going out of his way to organize the community via nation and server meetings hopefully in an attempts to balance out Dev mistakes.  I don't need to do this, and I could just become one of your passive followers on here who like everyone of your posts.  Despite my untowards appearance I do give a shit.  Keep antagonizing me and I'll just stop.

Don't waste our time by unnecessary sarcasm, veiled trolling and pizza crap. We value your contribution but everything comes to the end, We found that giving someone like you (a good person) a minor break usually leads the whole thread trashed by trolls posting dying animals and pizza photos. If you are a constructive person (as you say) you should have told them that that is nor place nor time to post crap in the topic, but you did not. Thus raising doubts about your intentions..If it happens again you will get banned.

We recommend players trying to push off topic or sarcasm into development discussions to avoid that at all costs. Feel free to express yourself in the tavern. Development topics are moderated areas where we come to get information. 

Now lets get back to patch discussion.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, admin said:

Don't waste our time by unnecessary sarcasm, veiled trolling and pizza crap. We value your contribution but everything comes to the end, We found that giving someone like you (a good person) a minor break usually leads the whole thread trashed by trolls posting dying animals and pizza photos. If you are a constructive person (as you say) you should have told them that that is nor place nor time to post crap in the topic, but you did not. Thus raising doubts about your intentions..If it happens again you will get banned.

We recommend players trying to push off topic or sarcasm into development discussions to avoid that at all costs. Feel free to express yourself in the tavern. Development topics are moderated areas where we come to get information. 

would you please respond to my PM? since you dont want to answer me here and just gave me a warning wich is outrageous for asking a question RElated to the thinkgs sayed in this topic 

4 minutes ago, Rickard said:

would you please respond to my PM? since you dont want to answer me here and just gave me a warning wich is outrageous for asking a question RElated to the thinkgs sayed in this topic 

Your question was about team size and recruitment. hiring decisions and team size are completely irrelevant to the forthcoming testbed patch information. Lets slowly help you to post relevant questions or comments in the relevant topics. Start a new topic in the general discussions or in the QA section. For this thread - your question was completely off topic and irrelevant. Its impossible to gather feedback on patches when players like you past whatever they want wherever they want. Making our job harder.

Do it one more time and we will think that you want to clutter this thread on purpose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Your question was about team size and recruitment. hiring decisions and team size are completely irrelevant to the forthcoming testbed patch information. Lets slowly help you to post relevant questions or comments in the relevant topics. Start a new topic in the general discussions or in the QA section. For this thread - your question was completely off topic and irrelevant. Its impossible to gather feedback on patches when players like you past whatever they want wherever they want. Making our job harder.

the question was indeed about that but with the context that you are now creating 2 games wich has been announced in this discusssion so yes it is related .....and i still deserve a answer since i GAVE you my OWN money to create this game

Edited by Rickard

10 minutes ago, Spitfire83 said:

@admin just a quick couple of questions

..will you be developing arena style game alongside continued development of ow naval action.  How long do you think this will take I understand you have a small team my concern obviously being will one game take priority over the other with all changes being made to ow na.

Is it realistic to believe with the niche market this game attracts it is possible to fill 2 OW naval action servers and a arena style game. 

As for proposed changes well you deleted my critical analysis so I guess that speaks volumes...

The separate game we mentioned in comments is done by a separate team. Players who don't want to sail the open world will move to arena. Players who want only open world will stay here. Coca- Cola classic and coca cola light. It will work fine. 

Your analysis was deleted because you probably was quoting something off topic or because the thread had to be cleared from 300 posts.. If you feel your information was very important and related to the thread post it again. If you think it is important and not related to the thread post it elsewhere. This topic is about the patch for testbed - nothing else. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

We don't know the exact details but the principle is to overcome the "specific spot" and hunt for target. That's my interpretation.

If the target is named or designated by some for of roleplayish "letter" remains to be seen.

Will this be all in the next patch?

9 hours ago, Aventador said:

@admin Will you at least keep the teleport to capital? (please say yes)

Yah until release and even after than I think this one option should stay.  While I didn't use it early one for bugs and such, but there was so many times I got lost as a new player I just had no clue where I was.   We didn't have the map cords back than so now it's a bit more easy for folks to figure out where they are, but I can still seeing this being a big problem for new players getting lost and just wanting to return home to there capital.

4 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Sorry to step in Aventador. But as a player tester I know the teleport was introduced to free players from being stuck in the world due to bugs and without having to wait for support. Eventually turned to become a comfort rather than a permanent technical necessity. Personally I think it is still useful but, as per rulebook of late, no cargo in the hold and no fleet attached if wanting to teleport.

I don't see any reason not to dismiss it unless all sticky spots where we can get stuck have been eliminated. ( most have )

And yes there are still spots.  I was coming back from Bermuda with a load of cedar some one gave me. Was going to hit Little river and send it to the port I need it at.   Well I went west from Bermuda.  Went to do somethings and well kinda forgot about atl tabing and noticed i was in land.....I mean deep in land.  I some how was on the very north part of the map and you can get behind the coast up there and get stuck.  While I could dump my cargo and use return to capital as a final option to get unstuck, but I was stuborn.  An hour and half later I was able to get back out by going back around the north top map and back out.   Yah moral of story is don't AFK sale and forget where you are going when your that close to the map edge.  Just the other day I did it way down Southeast corner too, but that was only like a 10 min detour from goign to south.  So I think the return to capital should stay and keep it the same, no cargo in your hold as a safe way to return home if you get stuck or lost.  Hell even if you want to give it a longer cool down that would work.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Yah until release and even after than I think this one option should stay.  While I didn't use it early one for bugs and such, but there was so many times I got lost as a new player I just had no clue where I was.   We didn't have the map cords back than so now it's a bit more easy for folks to figure out where they are, but I can still seeing this being a big problem for new players getting lost and just wanting to return home to there capital.

And yes there are still spots.  I was coming back from Bermuda with a load of cedar some one gave me. Was going to hit Little river and send it to the port I need it at.   Well I went west from Bermuda.  Went to do somethings and well kinda forgot about atl tabing and noticed i was in land.....I mean deep in land.  I some how was on the very north part of the map and you can get behind the coast up there and get stuck.  While I could dump my cargo and use return to capital as a final option to get unstuck, but I was stuborn.  An hour and half later I was able to get back out by going back around the north top map and back out.   Yah moral of story is don't AFK sale and forget where you are going when your that close to the map edge.  Just the other day I did it way down Southeast corner too, but that was only like a 10 min detour from goign to south.  So I think the return to capital should stay and keep it the same, no cargo in your hold as a safe way to return home if you get stuck or lost.  Hell even if you want to give it a longer cool down that would work.

If you enter battle next to shallows with a few people in deep water ships you will occasionally get stuck in the shallows when you leave too.. just some bugs that are annoying

• Like 1

Its going to take some time to get stuff organised after wipe thats for sure.

Aside from the fact there'll be numerous hours of AFK sailing involved, I kinda start to like the idea of having a very hirstoricaly correct situation where fleets move slow and can't be all over the place at once. There'll be new frontlines and campaigns going. And much of it will be the same as at the beginning of EA.

However I feel this will only realy be fun if we have a good amount of players to actualy make this fun.

When can we have the testbed patch? :)

• Like 1

In regards to the Arena game - Please direct questions or concerns about it here so that we can focus this thread purely on feedback on the patch notes.

There is a bit of overlap in some posts, where they address both the Arena and the patch.  For those, I am going to split them to the Arena thread, and if you need to, repost just the patch feedback here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

In regards to the Arena game - Please direct questions or concerns about it here so that we can focus this thread purely on feedback on the patch notes.

This topic will change much if the patch already was applied. Currently we haven't had maintenance for three days. I have 6 ships in transit to Mortimmer, and we are falling asleep on the testbed.

People are coming on the testbed and are moving away again. It is stale. My previous post that there were 3 people on the testbed is removed. I promise with all this racket, people will populate the testbed fast, but currently there is nothing to do.  Please hurry up!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Sorry to step in Aventador. But as a player tester I know the teleport was introduced to free players from being stuck in the world due to bugs and without having to wait for support. Eventually turned to become a comfort rather than a permanent technical necessity. Personally I think it is still useful but, as per rulebook of late, no cargo in the hold and no fleet attached if wanting to teleport.

I don't see any reason not to dismiss it unless all sticky spots where we can get stuck have been eliminated. ( most have )

Now regarding a lot of the things that we did playtest and do not work in the last 8 months, mechanics and so forth - our memory is really short. We did push for those changes, we the playerbase. And the developers put it all the effort for them to be in the game. From their data they see it is not working as they intend - they being the developers with their vision of the game. We managed to corrupt a lot of mechanics with unintended misusage and loopholing and transformed the OW into something we wanted to shape into and not what was intended. So good ideas, good development, trial and error testing opened way for odd ends to be explored by us. It is good alpha testing. We did show that despite the ideas looking great on paper when we throw in the multiplayer element they don't work.

The truth is, for me, with the mindset and playstyle of exploring, sailing, expecting the unexpected encounter in the high seas, planning my sailing and raids, the game will not feel any different. I simply have to go back in time to the no teleport time and have a couple more days of planning outpost and sail there; absolutely nothing else changes, so game still remains grand.

Many of the mechanics we see removed were totally subversed by the players themselves to create a lot of discomfort to opponents and loopholes to create comfort for themselves, hence those same mechanics serve no purpose anymore...

Isn't hard to understand if, as Jeheil well puts, we step outside our own bubble and look to the whole picture.

-

Regarding Global Chat - "By God Sir, this is the Navy. Not some tavern brawl ! You shall act according to your station and grant your defeated enemy no reason to feel ashamed."

I would keep it as it is essential for the social part and I believe the community can present itself with good examples. Roll back trade with foreign power to the Free Ports ( as it was 1 year ago ) and that's it.

I don't think you can. It's essentially our "I'm stuck" button that accounts for player errors as well as bugs.  Just last week I had to use it when my ship somehow got hung up on a piece of land coming out of a battle instance.  Once and I guess I'll admit this, I was leaving France to the west to Aves. I went away from the computer and got side tracked in a pet emergency. Forgot all about NA and came home to find my ship nose in on the beach at Panama.  I was thankful for the T-Port to capital button that day. ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bach said:

I don't think you can. It's essentially our "I'm stuck" button that accounts for player errors as well as bugs.

Yeah it would be nice to come up with a way to fix stuck ships that doesn't involve free teleports and is not somehow prone to abuse.

I guess ideally Admin goes in and traces a line all around the coastline (every coastline!) that's just a bit offshore. When you get stuck, it will only move you to the nearest point on that line. Maybe there's some way he can figure out how to do that programmatically, I dunno.

things to focus :

1)pz'don't remove tp'to capital before 

- a strong tutorial explaining how works the map

- adding a solution for the ones who spawn in rookie area to tp to the main capital

2) put all the marks in the upgrade slots.

then people will be able to get them every time.

as mark are showing your courage it.s not good to make them something you could loose. The better things should be an admiralty building listing them as they represent your victory. They ar snot really "materials " stuff that could be lost.

so I recommend you to place them in upgrade capitain slot

=> no weird développement to make delivers just for that

=> no problem to have 5 marks per outpost useless when you should have enough to buy you a ship.

1 hour ago, Slamz said:

Yeah it would be nice to come up with a way to fix stuck ships that doesn't involve free teleports and is not somehow prone to abuse.

I guess ideally Admin goes in and traces a line all around the coastline (every coastline!) that's just a bit offshore. When you get stuck, it will only move you to the nearest point on that line. Maybe there's some way he can figure out how to do that programmatically, I dunno.

What might work better is the new, to me, exit battle instance to friendly port option. If the "I'm stuck" button simply did the same thing it could be less abuseable than the teleport to capital while still un sticking people.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 2

remove teleport is the worst what you can do it will destroy the game even more

people will stay in capital waters cus they dont want to sail every day for 1 battle

you wont see US in dutch waters you wont see spanish in French waters

but devs please GIVE WHAT THE PLAYERS WANT NOT WHAT YOU WANT otherwise players quit

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Unnecessary image removed. Discussion of moderation removed. Keep it on topic sir.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NielsVisser said:

but devs please GIVE WHAT THE PLAYERS WANT NOT WHAT YOU WANT otherwise players quit

That is the exact thing they did last year. How many have left because of our suggestions?

The only thing we could blame them for is listening to us. But i wouldnt do that. I am glad they did it.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

I thought I had this all understood, but now I feel hopelessly confused. There are several different teleports in the game, with different things happening to each. Here are the ones I can think of:

1. Teleport to capital. Free. 2 minute delay(?). 3 hour timer. Ship with guns and upgrades but nothing in the hold apart from fish you caught after hitting the button.
    As I understand, this one stays till the devs figure out a way of coping with all eventualities of being stuck, but it is expected to be removed at some point.
  2. Teleport between outposts. Free. Instant. No timer. No ship, no cargo, but you carry upgrades and marks with you. Needs a slot to leave your ship (if you are in one) at your starting outpost. I think this one stays, but I am really not sure.
  3. Teleport between freeports. Goods only, 1000 weight and 4 slots max per transfer. Costs gold. Takes hours. Max limit of concurrent transfers. This one is disappearing
  4. Teleport out of battle. Ship, fleet and all cargo to unspecified nearest friendly port. Free. Instant. I think this one stays.
  5. Teleport another ship out of battle to chosen outpost. Free. Instant. No cargo. This one disappears.
  6. Ship tow between outposts. Ship with upgrades and guns only. Costs gold. Implemented daily. Max number of concurrent tows. This one is disappearing.
  7. Ship duel teleport. I've no idea how this works as I've never used it, but since ship duels are going this will disappear too.

Have I got these right? Are there any I've missed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remus said:

I thought I had this all understood, but now I feel hopelessly confused. There are several different teleports in the game, with different things happening to each. Here are the ones I can think of:

1. Teleport to capital. Free. 2 minute delay(?). 3 hour timer. Ship with guns and upgrades but nothing in the hold apart from fish you caught after hitting the button.
    As I understand, this one stays till the devs figure out a way of coping with all eventualities of being stuck, but it is expected to be removed at some point.
  2. Teleport between outposts. Free. Instant. No timer. No ship, no cargo, but you carry upgrades and marks with you. Needs a slot to leave your ship (if you are in one) at your starting outpost. I think this one stays, but I am really not sure.
  3. Teleport between freeports. Goods only, 1000 weight and 4 slots max per transfer. Costs gold. Takes hours. Max limit of concurrent transfers. This one is disappearing
  4. Teleport out of battle. Ship, fleet and all cargo to unspecified nearest friendly port. Free. Instant. I think this one stays.
  5. Teleport another ship out of battle to chosen outpost. Free. Instant. No cargo. This one disappears.
  6. Ship tow between outposts. Ship with upgrades and guns only. Costs gold. Implemented daily. Max number of concurrent tows. This one is disappearing.
  7. Ship duel teleport. I've no idea how this works as I've never used it, but since ship duels are going this will disappear too.

Have I got these right? Are there any I've missed?

I have the same understanding as you do.  Whereas #1 was a much needed function over a year ago, I think that the teleport back to capital is now largely superfluous.  I can't recall the last time I got stuck or ended up on the other side of the map from a bad re-spawn.  There had even been suggestions that folks should be able to set their own capital, and have the "teleport to capital" re-mapped accordingly.

Edited by Taranis
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, admin said:

7 hours ago, admin said:

Do it one more time and we will think that you want to clutter this thread on purpose. 

Please stop the sarcasm and aggressive attitude. You accuse players of doing this but then do it yourself.

I understand that English is not your native language, so maybe you just don't understand how aggressive and sarcastic and rude you sound but trust me....that is how you are coming across to native English speakers.

Thanks

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

Please stop the sarcasm and aggressive attitude. You accuse players of doing this but then do it yourself.

I understand that English is not your native language, so maybe you just don't understand how aggressive and sarcastic and rude you sound but trust me....that is how you are coming across to native English speakers.

Thanks

Good. You got it of your chest. Post will stay in place. Now do not return to that subject in this thread.

Carry on gentlemen, sorry for the interruption.

3 hours ago, Bach said:

What might work better is the new, to me, exit battle instance to friendly port option. If the "I'm stuck" button simply did the same thing it could be less abuseable than the teleport to capital while still un sticking people.

Although of course we know this is abuseable too. There are places in the game where the quickest way from A to B is to sail 51% of the way to B and then get into a battle and teleport to a friendly port, which is incidentally on the other side of Cuba and you just saved yourself a ton of OW sailing by not having to go around Cuba.

Really I think all forms of teleportation should go away but we do have to have some sort of plan for the possibility of stuck ships.

When removing teleport to capital what happens in case someone build a deep water ship in a shallow port? 

Will deep water ships building restricted to deep water ports only?

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

The worst part of the game is how battles are started and how people enter them. The border between OW and Battle Instance. 

The details of crafting, economy, captain skills, battle itself can be spun in almost any direction with little real change in the outcome I would think.

People do  not trust the way that battles start. I can not imagine how to fix that without re architecture the game to have sub servers that can handle the ships that are on that server and economy changes so that only historical sized fleets will ever be seen on each instance.  So that you are always in open world or something even for fights.

That being said, I like the concept of grinding up your proficiency with a ship type so that when ever you replace it you get that upgraded type of result with the ship. 

• Like 1