Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v0.78+

That is something I noticed; AI skirmisher caps being higher than 500, and Cavalry capping out at 1050 instead of 850 now.

I didn't end up doing a push on the second phase, mostly because my army loadout was not optimized; ended up with 2 1000 brigades and an arty brigade on the Southern fortification. Which is not really much to push a point that has 3 20 gun artillery units on it. I'm sure if I put 3 2500 man groups on the southern flank, it would be a cakewalk onto the point there since apparently the enemy brigades were only about 1500 large on the second phase at most. The ones at the southern flank were around 1100, and got mauled walking into the fortifications.

4 minutes ago, Wandering1 said:

That is something I noticed; AI skirmisher caps being higher than 500, and Cavalry capping out at 1050 instead of 850 now.

I didn't end up doing a push on the second phase, mostly because my army loadout was not optimized; ended up with 2 1000 brigades and an arty brigade on the Southern fortification. Which is not really much to push a point that has 3 20 gun artillery units on it. I'm sure if I put 3 2500 man groups on the southern flank, it would be a cakewalk onto the point there since apparently the enemy brigades were only about 1500 large on the second phase at most. The ones at the southern flank were around 1100, and got mauled walking into the fortifications.

AI Skirimishers have always been capped out at 650 for some time, I think.

Are you basing those caps off of Historical Battles or the campaign?

19 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

AI Skirimishers have always been capped out at 650 for some time, I think.

Are you basing those caps off of Historical Battles or the campaign?

Campaign. I never play the historicals.

Previously on Legendary, I was only seeing 500 caps on the skirmishers; which makes for skirmisher stacking to be viable relative to infantry stacking, since if the computer already capped out, you'd only be dropping the size of the infantry brigades you would be seeing if you added more skirmishers.

I think as battles get bigger we are starting to see a limitation for the game as currently set up : there are no traffic penalties. By this I mean one of the reason one couldn't just throw a 20k men mass at the ennemy on CW battlefields was that a 20k blob couldn't move hast enough in close assault formation and once the first wave of an assault was hit by devastating defensive fire, everything ground to a halt. This is why usually frontal assaults failed except if flank extension had already weakened the line enough that it could hold.

In the game currently if i throw 4*2000 men brigades at a point in the line they just run at it, and if the first one gets routed by fire or by fire + melee, well it runs back through the other 3 without much problems.

Now I know this might be too difficult to implement at this stage and could make the game too complicated, but it does become a big issue later on in the game when the battlefield becomes more fixed around fortifications. Even in the Fredericksburg battle we see it already, Marie's Heights fortifications are too strong to compensate the fact that one can throw a massive blob at them in one go. If "trafic" was more difficult, fortifications could be more realistic in that case.

Just 2 cents.

I noticed the rewards in recruits for both Cold Harbor and the minor battles were more generous than before, with Cold Harbor being 15,000 as opposed to 11,500 for the bloodbath that was Chickamauga. I'm very thankful for this, since I suffered only lightly at Cold Harbor and can thus restore my army to what it was before that battle. Have rewards in recruits been increased in prior battles too, or are they just high for these Overland battles?

17 hours ago, Koro said:

Yes, it seems so.

15 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

Looks like I get to start over again! :)

15 hours ago, N.C.rebel said:

same haha

17 hours ago, sonnypemberton said:

so would loading a save from prior to the last battle auto save and finishing it allow this to work properly?

17 hours ago, Sykes said:

I'm having the same issue -- I guess the only fix is to completely re-start the game/campaign?

Question, for those who can't seem to load in the new patch save... is your game still set to 0.77 beta version, or have you updated?

Aka, did you ever go to your steam library, right click properties, find the "game versions/files" thingy, disable beta, and wait until the game auto updated in steam (should instantly start update process)? Because it doesn't seem the beta automatically updates to patch 0.78, which means the autosave will not activate. Once you do the update, you can access the autosave from any previous Union/Confederate battle save. 

Edited by vren55

Don't know. I just automatically start over with each update. ;) I want all the goodness from the beginning, not in the middle of a campaign. 

All that other stuff you describe sounds too much like work!

Edited by A. P. Hill

4/4/2017
Hotfix 0.79 rev19050 Uploaded
- Fixed issues in Battle of Cold Harbor for North that could make battle rather easy for player in the first two stages.
- Fixed an issue with delayed timer in Cold Harbor 1st day CSA side.
- Fixed some reported text errors.
- AI improved further, enhancing its territorial awareness and improving charge decisions, flanks protection.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

- AI improved further, enhancing its territorial awareness and improving charge decisions, flanks protection.

... no kidding... I mean... god i admire the AI programming so much, but it's sooo frustrating... What kind of Ai actually shifts forces when it just GLIMPSES your units heading left!  That reactive capacity is bloody ridiculously good! And so frustrating!

Edited by vren55

30 minutes ago, william1993 said:

do we have to restart the campaign again for .79?

Same question here...doesn't really make sense to re-do whole campaign this late if next patch will also require restart.

I'll be continuing my current campaign anyway, bug is not that essential and I'm eager to checkout new battles :)

I absolutely love how the dev team has done the overland campaign. I feel like you guys have truly captured how much of a grind it was historically. In addition, you all show how the civil war is changing into a war of trenches and attrition. It no longer feels like 1861-1862 nor should it.

The AI is also greatly improved. I can really tell you all worked long and hard fine tuning the AI. The AI actually plans and executes great assaults and made me feel like I would lose at Laurel Hill. Indeed, I actually did lose my CSA Left Flank control point on Cold Harbor. I recovered by moving my infantry quickly to a lightly defended Bethesda Church control point which saved the battle for me. This new AI has forced me to be much more cautious and meticulous in my planning. I love the AI and will have to play some prior battles in historical mode to see how it reacts there.

I recommend this game to everyone I know. For $30 you all have made a tactical masterpiece. 

I cannot wait for the battle of Washington and have confidence the dev team will do as great of job there as they have with the rest of the game.

• Like 1

So, after playing through Cold Harbor's first two phases as Union, I've noticed the following changes:

1. CSA reinforcements come in about half an hour earlier than your reinforcements (at the 1 hr mark) in the first phase. They used to arrive at the same time, so the reinforcements can fight each other. Now, since your reinforcements arrive at the 30 minute mark, there's no time for them to get to the battle without spending all of your condition running unless they are cavalry. Even then, they won't make it to the southern fortifications in time before phase change, meaning 5 brigades have to be facing down 10-15 for practically the entire duration of the phase. For people who aren't exactly extremely skilled at the game, this is basically another Cross Keys.

2. The scaling is increased, by about 30%. What used to be 1500 size brigades I was noticing earlier are now 1900, and some of the 2000 brigades are now hitting 2900.

3. Similarly on phase 2, reinforcements arrive for CSA half an hour before your reinforcements. Placement of the reinforcements is a problem now, because the first set of reinforcements are way too far away when the closest fortification is one of the easily flankable fortifications due to the length of the fortification. I'm still wondering why the fortifications are designed to encompass such a long length when the flanking is still based on one direction. Not to mention the fortification is not a 100% fortification, despite it being the most important fortification for the phase on Union; I can easily imagine a CSA player charging the key fortification and making it through, just by virtue of the surrounding trees providing cover from reprisal fire.

4. Unrelated to the changes of the hotfix, I've noticed cavalry teleporting behind fortifications (visually represented as cavalry waltzing through fortifications without triggering a melee). Was the whole teleporting enemy cavalry a bug that's always been there? See the attached images, where the red dot on the map does not match the displayed location of the cavalry unit.

20170404164948_1.jpg

20170404165015_1.jpg

20170404165025_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Wandering1 said:

4. Unrelated to the changes of the hotfix, I've noticed cavalry teleporting behind fortifications (visually represented as cavalry waltzing through fortifications without triggering a melee). Was the whole teleporting enemy cavalry a bug that's always been there? See the attached images, where the red dot on the map does not match the displayed location of the cavalry unit.

Yea, that's been an issue for a while.  However, it's an exceptionally rare thing, I've only seen it a handful of times.  I only saw it happen once on my road to Fredricksburg last patch.  Reloading the game fixes it, by the way.