Game-Labs Forum

Preliminary announcement about the wipe and recommended player actions.

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

That is a solid alternative for two reasons, in my view.

One, it provides another clean slate from where to kickstart all the changes planned for this year ( looking to the previous 2017 development plan ) and truly adjust without any legacies that might compromise some results.

Second, on release the rewards mounting up, with rank and ships to the EA crowd.

The only problem with a full wipe of xp and rank is that it will take for every to get crafting and other levels up to test anything so that would be counter productive.

Think the current redeemable is a good option and i'm sorry if you haven't been active than you prob weren't supporting the game any way.

• Like 3

how are we expected to test all the new items when we are all starting with no rank xp or crafting level? and dont forget those that have already had to start from scratch and rank up before, you're going to lose a ton of regular players who will not want to go and start from the bottom again.

2 minutes ago, airwolf666 said:

how are we expected to test all the new items when we are all starting with no rank xp or crafting level? and dont forget those that have already had to start from scratch and rank up before, you're going to lose a ton of regular players who will not want to go and start from the bottom again.

If they been playing they won't have to start over.  This is only for folks that don't have chars on any of the servers. If they want to keep there rank/xp across the board they need to log in now and make a char before the patch.  The one battle thing is just a safe guard to make sure you register XP on that char and it syncs.   It was the same thing you had to do in the past to get redeemable across the board.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

@admin I don't know if you have the ability to email or message your user base but I'd recommend you send this information (if it's final). That could save you some headaches post wipe. I'd guess that a good size percentage of players don't read these forums and/or away from the game right now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The only problem with a full wipe of xp and rank is that it will take for every to get crafting and other levels up to test anything so that would be counter productive.

Think the current redeemable is a good option and i'm sorry if you haven't been active than you prob weren't supporting the game any way.

In such fragile market maintaining Players is the highest priority for any Game Developer. IF you say this to your customers they will take their money else where and you will go bankrupt. Instead it is very important to make everything possible, so Players will come back and come back happy. For this to work we need rewards for example a Gold Chest with random loot: 

-Rank Booster

-1 Dura Ship

-1 Ship Paint

Why Gold chest and not a simple clicky? Our brains like shiny things and react to it in a positive manner. ex. Battlefield 1 weapon crate animation. Receiving a gift must have a special meaning for any Player. 

Once they are back Developer must addict them to their content such as:

-Dailys (log in daily and get rewards, log in every day for 30 days+ play for 1 hour and get and epic item). 

-Leaderboards (we are born to compete) 

-Reputation system (must invest a lot of time)

-Loot Drops and Treasure hunts (get interesting items and promote OS hunt for NPC/Players) 

etc... 

This imho is the foundation for success. 

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

If they been playing they won't have to start over.  This is only for folks that don't have chars on any of the servers. If they want to keep there rank/xp across the board they need to log in now and make a char before the patch.  The one battle thing is just a safe guard to make sure you register XP on that char and it syncs.   It was the same thing you had to do in the past to get redeemable across the board.

so if we play on all 3 servers, 1,2 and pve, we need to sink a ship on all 3 or just one?

9 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

What if we did both?  Redeemable for those who want it, and allow people to "Opt out."  The ones that opt out get their XP/Crafting XP back on release, and some sort of special reward?

Current preliminary proposal (using redeemables) has the following drawbacks
1) it does not allow to test new player experince
2) kids can delete your redeemables 
3) you can redeem by mistake and then change you mind
4) you might be a late comer who never had a character on one of the servers
5) you might have been in space and never read any news

redeemables now have a potential problem. Person deletes it - loses everything, with no way to recover. 

Full wipe now and full grant of max rank to ALL players who participated in early access release has no above mentioned drawbacks. 

• You will get rank even if you were in space
  • You will get rank even if someone deleted something or you wanted to change nation 5 times
  • You will get rank higher than your current one and if you don't like it - delete after release and start fresh.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, airwolf666 said:

so if we play on all 3 servers, 1,2 and pve, we need to sink a ship on all 3 or just one?

If you logged in yesterday to all three - you will be fine
you only need to login and do something (sink a ship) ONLY on the servers you have not played actively for some time. 

Yeah, the idea was to offer people a carrot to test the new player experience.  I dunno, think it'd resolve a lot of concerns to have some sort of choice (players love choices), but I also don't want to push things ever further to the right on the patch timeline.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

But if you just choose not to use your redeemable until post-release, and instead level up from scratch, doesn't that effectively accomplish this?

I would think release wipe would remove all assets except XP, thus rendering redeemable items .... non existent.

9 minutes ago, Wigermo said:

Rip full port battles

Off topic but why would they not be full?  We are getting a hopefully better balance server with pop merger and maybe some players returning.  Yes some times there won't be full battles and other times there will be way to many on each side.   And the Devs said it's only temp for now, they might turn it back on, they might come up with something better, hell they might just scrap it all.

3 minutes ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

The solution on max rank for everyone than purchase the game before the wipe is not bad but...what about craft xp?

everyone level 50? It would be silly...

I'm against folks getting free rank up any types that didn't earn the rank.  Many of those guys prob don't even know how to manual sail and such that are still in cutters, they don't need to be Admirals the push of a button or crafting ships I busted my arse to get to level 50 crafter for.  They should earn the ranks the same way the rest of us did.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wigermo said:

Pandora?

Pandora will be like yacht.. it is tied to steam as DLC and has a steam key and everything. 
Thus SHE won't have problems with account deletions or player removals or server changes. 
(yacht is a hidden DLC)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Actually, psychology experiments have shown that players and people in general tend to be much more happy with outcomes when they have fewer choices (less chance for buyer's regret, etc.). But when choices are made for them when they know that many alternatives exist which were viable and better... that's when players get cranky. ;) 

I would say something to the effect of, "be worse people," but I see the reports... :P

• Like 1

Just now, Wraith said:

Except for our special reward ships? So we'll all still have some kind of redeemables presumably? Why not xp as well?

I'm confused here as to why at release time there won't be another full-wipe of the sort we are doing now? Making all this hand-wringing a bit premature anyway. It seems like we would want at least one more chance to completely rework or balance nations, clean up the economy from assuredly unbalanced mechanics that will emerge with new changes, and reset the map?

Reward ships being the Yacht and/or Pandora AFAIK.

"would want at least one more chance to completely rework or balance nations, clean up the economy from assuredly unbalanced mechanics that will emerge with new changes, and reset the map" - that's exactly what I hope for the wipe onwards. Players and Nations learned a lot and surely will make the same mistakes again... in another way but as community I think we matured a bit and can provide good content.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Except for our special reward ships? So we'll all still have some kind of redeemables presumably? Why not xp as well?

I'm confused here as to why at release time there won't be another full-wipe of the sort we are doing now? Making all this hand-wringing a bit premature anyway. It seems like we would want at least one more chance to completely rework or balance nations, clean up the economy from assuredly unbalanced mechanics that will emerge with new changes, and reset the map?

Actually, psychology experiments have shown that players and people in general tend to be much more happy with outcomes when they have fewer choices (less chance for buyer's regret, etc.). But when choices are made for them when they know that many alternatives exist which were viable and better... that's when players get cranky. ;) 

Who is saying there won't be a wipe at release?  They prob will do it the exact same way.  Wipe every thing and than day of release we log in with our chars and we redeem our levels and any gift we earned from being EA and testers.  If you don't want to rank up to your tester rank just don't redeem those items.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'm against folks getting free rank up any types that didn't earn the rank.  Many of those guys prob don't even know how to manual sail and such that are still in cutters, they don't need to be Admirals the push of a button or crafting ships I busted my arse to get to level 50 crafter for.  They should earn the ranks the same way the rest of us did.

we think that we better make ensigns rear admiral and add 3 more ranks (admiral, secretary of the navy, 3rd Lord etc)
than have problems with rear admirals who lost redeemables because their cat used it accidentally. 

we don't believe ensigns are coming back in droves as well.