Game-Labs Forum
admin

PVE server announcement - final decision

I thought that Game Developers and Alpha testers needed each other. 

The Devs make a preliminary announcement.....we give our testers/players opinions... the Devs reconsider the preliminary announcement, taking into account what the player community/testers had to say.........

That's good. It shows a professional approach to game development and consideration for those actually playing it on a regular basis.

A short while ago everyone was screaming the the Devs don't listen to the community and slagging them off on steam!!

It seems they can't win! Whether they listen or ignore...there wrong???

And Pvp players worrying about the pve players or the pve  server is just bafflingly. Just play whatever game you like...however you like...it's your choice.

• Like 7

THANK YOU

p.s. I still recommend to you tagging ships and game assets so you can run multiple "virtual worlds" on one server, each invisible to the others.  Aside from lowering the server count when needed it opens the door to a variety of new instances of virtual worlds on one server, whether it's a world for noobs only, experts only, or starting over with original port ownership, just to name a couple of possibilities. 

My point is this: a data driven process will offer everyone much more variety in what kind of experience they can choose from and that has to be good for you in the long run.

Edited by Genma Saotome
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Play and let play :) no ?

Sometimes, just sometimes, and right now is one of them, pvp community becomes so cold and bitchy and acid that shuns Players ( yes you read it right ) to more paceful pastures. Not because of the challenge but because of the social swamp.

Take the wipe phase as a way to look in retrospect on how to evolve and not how to encroach the crap talk which shuns away so many people that literally - can't stand with juvenile inflated egos.

On the other hand there's the time spent. A player in PvE server might log in, do a couple fights, haul a big of cargo, all in 1 hour, and log off to do tend the family.

In the end no one has to prove anything. A big chunk of the NA community loves the game for what it is - grand game in the age of sail :) 

Friendly competition ?! Absolutely.

If I want to play PvP -  World of Warships is where I'll go. The PvE game is best here. 

• Like 3

We need populted servers.
Splitting the EU players in 2 servers (PVP EU and PVE EU) iit is an error IMHO.
There are players who like to play mainly PvE but they also like to do some PvP occasionally.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Suricato Rojo said:

There are players who like to play mainly PvE but they also like to do some PvP occasionally.

Good assessment :) but certainly not in the most correct thread though.

1 hour ago, Suricato Rojo said:

Combining everyone into a single server will not increase the player base to where you believe it should be. Whether you put all PvP players into the PvE server or all PvE players into the PvP server it will not be the outcome you are looking for. There are two distinct approaches to this game and there are people who enjoy their approach only and cannot conceive of any other method of playing. There are some, like me, who will (currently) play on all three servers. I still lean towards the PvE as my favorite due to my time constraints but if the only server were to be PvP only then you will seldom see me at all. Did that increase you player base? No. Keep the PvE and I am engaged with everything happening as I am active in both the game and as part of this community. Take away a part of the game I find enjoyable and I will see you when I see you and not a moment soon  as I may be finding a replacement for the style of game I do very much enjoy.

Combining the PvE and the PVP into the same world is a challenge the Dev's have to face and it is not easy to balance the difference play styles that are associated with each type of approach. I believe improvements in the PvE world will enhance the game overall for both worlds. When that happens then a redress of a combination of both play styles may work after all. Until then, two servers, two worlds, two approaches to the game, two different type of people enjoying the same type of world with their own unique approach to the age of sail.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2017 at 3:39 AM, admin said:

Hello 

The problem is this. Merging PVE and PVP servers could be viable (possible). But... the amount of work needed to make it work is big, and we better spend it elsewhere. Basically we could ruin PVP experience AND ruin pve experience by this merge - forcing us to tune tune tune the tunings. Instead of improving battles or adding more content. 

I quoted this Admin reply from the suggestion thread, which post I think is relevant to this discussion. I am hoping this will put to rest baseless rumors, blame and accusations that claim the game development will take longer by keeping the PvE server alive. Those claims are neither helpful nor constructive and only widen this incomprehensible divide that for some reason exists between the PvE and PvP communities.

So, instead of wasting your energy calling each other cry babies, AFK'ers, gankers, care bears, Alt abusers and whatnot, focus it on providing actual feedback, constructive feedback instead of the unfortunately common "this patch sucks" without any type of explanation or the classic "I will not play this game anymore".

My final 2 cents regarding this topic.

APC

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 5

Ya know, I just can't help but wonder what kind of posts we would have seen if the devs had announced a closing of the PvP servers......

:mellow:

45 minutes ago, ER0S said:

Ya know, I just can't help but wonder what kind of posts we would have seen if the devs had announced a closing of the PvP servers......

:mellow:

Ever seen the Godfather? Horsehead in bed? multiply that by ~10. 

4 hours ago, waznewz said:

Ever seen the Godfather? Horsehead in bed? multiply that by ~10. 

Hehe you know whats ironic.... is Crafters are probably more likely to be aggressive IRL than the other way around... I can't count the number of times I have thought to myself... lets see how tough you are when I track your IP and come break your legs punk...=).

5 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

I quoted this Admin reply from the suggestion thread, which post I think is relevant to this discussion. I am hoping this will put to rest baseless rumors, blame and accusations that claim the game development will take longer by keeping the PvE server alive. Those claims are neither helpful nor constructive and only widen this incomprehensible divide that for some reason exists between the PvE and PvP communities.

So, instead of wasting your energy calling each other cry babies, AFK'ers, gankers, care bears, Alt abusers and whatnot, focus it on providing actual feedback, constructive feedback instead of the unfortunately common "this patch sucks" without any type of explanation or the classic "I will not play this game anymore".

My final 2 cents regarding this topic.

APC

Great point APC... you got me thinking and you know... I really didn't have much issue with the developers announcement at all... It was only after I read posts and saw the badmouthing of what I considered me and my friends to be grouped in with that I got riled up enough to crawl out of the shadows and make posts... so I think you hit the nail on the head.

Go ahead and develop the PvP server first, give those guys what they need and work on PvE later. We got what we wanted, which is all we could ask for really. I must say thanks, but I'm not sure how long this will last. I will play on both PvE and PvP servers, but my heart lives for the PvE. I'm sure there are many more like me.

I think in the long run, this is a good move, you should also note, although I was very unhappy with the original proposal, I did not change my review of the game. I did however, stop playing, lets face it, I had no reason to. Now i shall be back and farming my mats again. 

My thanks once again.

It's been a long time since the last, but today you're owed a big one :

Thank you Devs !

It is nice to read some good news once in a while, and this certainly made my day. I'm glad you could listen past the howling of the PvP-or-Nothing crowd. 

• Like 2

I'll also buy dlc provided all aspects of the game are catered for, this includes PvE. So dev's,  I'm shaking my wonga at you, don't forget us.

To make pve challenging just add difficulty levels to missions where easy spawns basic geared or quality ships and the top one say insane mode or expert spawns best quality ships with best gear that way players have a learning curve which to fight the AI on rather then just super hard...

Edited by ironhammer500

Can you guys not limit the ships you can capture please?

Can you not make the A.I. buggy to simulate difficulty? (like small trade ships acting like they have 30k horse power engines and weigh 100tons when you are trying to turn them into the wind).

If you think PvE needs to be punished in some way because we are not playing on PvP servers then feel free to add NPC hunter fleets, triggered when too many trade ships have been captured or what not. At least that way it still seems realistic, and not something some dude some where wants to inflict on the PvE server because they think we are not having fun.

9 hours ago, Valetudin Arian said:

Can you guys not limit the ships you can capture please?

Can you not make the A.I. buggy to simulate difficulty? (like small trade ships acting like they have 30k horse power engines and weigh 100tons when you are trying to turn them into the wind).

If you think PvE needs to be punished in some way because we are not playing on PvP servers then feel free to add NPC hunter fleets, triggered when too many trade ships have been captured or what not. At least that way it still seems realistic, and not something some dude some where wants to inflict on the PvE server because they think we are not having fun.

I'm not sure anyone wants to "inflict" anything on PvE server and/or players. Even though freedom of speech is a right, we are trying to stay away from the sort that is inflammatory or accusatory. It really is useless and unhelpful in every way.

A lot of people are sharing good ideas about making every server viable and both modes enjoyable and I think most people here are having fun.

5 hours ago, AngryPanCake said:

I'm not sure anyone wants to "inflict" anything on PvE server and/or players. Even though freedom of speech is a right, we are trying to stay away from the sort that is inflammatory or accusatory. It really is useless and unhelpful in every way.

A lot of people are sharing good ideas about making every server viable and both modes enjoyable and I think most people here are having fun.

Dude, that was a very insulting post. Like you say though, you are free to type any mixed up set of words you like.

Just a thought on the PVE server, at present hostility can't be raised or lowered, port battles don't happen etc. So ports never change hands. Perhaps it should be made so ports could change hands by raising hostility to 100% at all ports within a region. This hostility could also be countered in the same way as on pvp, by doing missions in an area that hostility is being raised. It would give some meaning to missions other than xp, it would also allow players to fight ships that don't always have the pirate flag, that would in its self be a novelty, and also give easier access to some of the rarer goods.

Or perhaps even have port battles but against AI, having the AI numbers/BR match that of the joining PVP Players?

There is a way to increase interest, and it's your job Dev's to find it ;) Good luck!

• Like 2

Good. I'm very glad this decision was made. I myself, and several people I know and am very close friends with, only had interest in the pve side of the game. One of my friends has extensive experience in games like EVE online and such, where gankers and other such horrific pvp elements are present. Its not fun. He basically told me to stay far away from that game because of that.

On the other hand, I bought this game BECAUSE it had a separate pve server. I wasn't forced to stay in a tiny little area that had maybe a handful of ports with little options to really explore without risking losing my ship completely because some guy in a massive clan who sailed a huge warship, wanted some easy pickings on a new guy that had nearly no ways to really defend themselves. Thats not at all fun. Thats the kind of stuff that drives new players away from the game.

Please, for the love of god, keep the PvE server no matter what. I can tell you with certainty, I will play this game and suggest it to others to play ONLY if you keep the PvE server. I want nothing to do with PvP. 

47 minutes ago, kitsunelegend said:

Please, for the love of god, keep the PvE server no matter what. I can tell you with certainty, I will play this game and suggest it to others to play ONLY if you keep the PvE server. I want nothing to do with PvP. 

The devs have already announced that they're committed to keeping the PvE server for up to two years after release, so bit early to start worrying . :P

Edited by Guest

Lols at all the PvP hating on PvE. And you wonder why some prefer PvE.

Reason I play on the PvE is because all I want to do is jump on, sail around a bit, sink some ships when I can, make some coin and whatever.

There's enough to muck around with than having to worry about being ganked by some 13 year old and his pimply mates.

Ergo, PvE where I can play pretty much on my terms.

Now what could be interesting is OPTIONAL PvP on the PvE server, or pre-arranged battles or something.

Edited by Lokyi
  • Like 4