Game-Labs Forum

PVE server announcement - final decision

Glad to see your going to do work on PVE, just make sure to roll it over to the PVP servers as well. I've said it before, More PVE means, more players in OW, more players in OW, = more PVP. 

Edited by Daguse
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Tiedemann said:

Nooooo! I was so looking forward to getting the PvE on the same saver as the PvP players. Would make the leap from PvE to PvP less challenging, so it made perfect sence imo.

It isn't as challenging as you might think, particularly if you already learnt the basic game mechanics on PvE. There are several approaches for changing over, one of the best is to join a clan that is happy to help inexperienced players learn. If you, like me at the moment, you prefer to play outside of a clan, the main thing to do is every time you set out, assume you may be attacked by an overwhelming force, so you won't be entirely pissed off when you are. But each time you find yourself in PvP pay as close attention to what happens and try to learn from your opponent. Ask questions in Nation and Help chat and you will probably find helpful answers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Regarding recent preliminary announcement.

Based on the community feedback and the analysis of player data and numbers.
PvE server will not be closed down. 
We guarantee that it will exist for at least 18-24 months after official release. and will revisit this promise then. 

In addition to that we have not mentioned it before - but we are developing additional PVE content and new types of missions for PVE players. 
AI will be worked on after release and will provide more challenge in the future. 

will this speed up patch deployment? ( i mean mid april wipe patch)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

Then, if PvE server will be not to be closed. What about the PvE area in the PvP servers?

Scraped ,  will revisit this promise after  24 months. This means those who considered to go try PvP will now must migrate to new PvP servers if they want to do so. 

Edited by Ned Loe

Okay I just made a very long and lengthy reply on another thread that was basically rendered moot by this thread but I will repost it here anyway because I think it has good ideas.

At the risk of being keelhauled, I would suggest you not stop there, I believe you should wipe everything including experience Rank but leave the crafting levels Alone.  Before I get tarred and feathered heres my reasoning.

I've stated earlier posts That the biggest problem with this game has always been lack of progression beyond the rank of Rear Adm. once this rank has been achieved by a player everything becomes boring and redundant. So I believe If you By necessity are going to go through the trouble of wiping everything else we should all just start over completely Anyway. and at least that way  we'll have A goal to work towards once again.  

Part of the charm of the game from the point of the PVE player at least has always been in my opinion the fact that During every single Day of gameplay You would see the Spontaneous formation of what I call Player experience fleets.. Players who would work together towards a common goal of increasing their sailing ranks By engaging in Large scale Fleet actions. It's what made the game interesting and forged a lot of friendships amongst the players By the very necessity of working towards a common goal. Definitely, One of the better Aspects of the game. But I would wager if everyone had to do it again the same result will occur we would once again work cooperatively as we did before. You could even structure the point system so that engaging other players Or other PVP activities are more valuable point wise Than engaging in NPC Fleet actions. 

The reason I would say not to zero out the Crafting levels, because that would at least keep existing players in the game by allowing crafters to supply ships and materials to the other players In their bid to regain their ranks.

And finally Admin's you Absolutely  must Provide a progression beyond the rank of rear admiral. players need a goal to work towards to maintain interest in the game. And sad to say creating trade routes between players is not the answer. All that accomplishes Is creating a grind and once again gets boring and redundant and Causes people to leave. 

I Would also suggest doing away with the designations PVE and PVP entirely and just Create one designation of PVW. For the sake of solidarity and Player camaraderie. Having players from two different groups Designations, on the same server is what creates that "us versus them" mentality that is detrimental to any game. The easiest way to fix it is to not have distinctive labels for players and have everyone play under the same label. Hence PVW "player versus world".

One last point with regards to smuggling flags. What's the point of smuggling if you're flying a flag that says your smuggling? This never made any sense to me whatsoever. No one should find out if Whether you're smuggling or not unless you are pulled Into an instance And inspected or your ship is inspected entering port. Players can Also determine who the smugglers are just by observing their movements. And that's the way it should be. It would become fairly obvious that a French player entering a British port Etc. must be a smuggler. It is certainly not necessary to fly a flag for all to see advertising that fact.

You could easily add a command Within Open world menu of Calling for inspection Of ships encountering each other. Doing so Would start An inspection timer Giving the Hailed vessel an opportunity to run or Forced to submit.  In the case of submission ships are dropped into an instance For inspection which starts another Timer in which No cannon may be loaded Unless the timer runs out before the inspection has taken place signifying the intention of the hailed vessel to avoid the inspection entirely.

Once the inspection command has been invoked And ships enter the instance the timer begins And Players would then have The choice of either sailing away to avoid the inspection or to Sail in close to each other and engage in a special inspection option of the boarding menu Call it "Cargo inspection". The opposite of that command from the defenders point of view should be a "avoid inspection command" Which would Decrease the % of being detected as a smuggler. Failure to invoke that command would result in a 100% detection rate. Additional percentage modifiers could be stacked based on ship type and proficiency of the captain at avoiding detection. During this phase All other Combat and boarding commands would be greyed out. And combat should Not be possible until the Either the inspection timer runs out Without a submission, or upon completion of the "inspection" and Then only upon the revelation or discovery of a smuggler by way of finding the contraband in which case the players can be given a choice to surrender the contraband either all or in part as "payments" Or to disengage from the boarding inspection and take one's chances attempting to run. However if the choice of payment is made and Upon completion of said payment the instant ends And all ships are returned to open world The ship which incurred the inspection would have another timer set so that it could not be "Inspected" for an arbitrary amount of time I would say two hours real-time should be good. or if In the case of a smuggler that refuses the inspection both ships can choose to disengage, running, or fighting As per usual combat rules And timers. 

Anyway this is how I would do it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, elite92 said:

will this speed up patch deployment? ( i mean mid april wipe patch)

Since this is less work for them I'm hoping this means yes it will mean they can move up the dates on that, but more than likely we are going to find out they aren't going to merge the servers and than well we are prob going have to wait another freaking 2-3 months for a patch of any type.

10 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

Scraped ,  will revisit this promise after  24 months. This means those who considered to go try PvP will now must migrate to new PvP servers if they want to do so. 

Kinda good cause I hate to say it resources to me seem way to easy to gather and horde on a PvE server that doesn't have the sink of PvP and RvR.   The only way they get sunk and needs new ships is if AI sinks them.

9 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

we are prob going have to wait another freaking 2-3 months for a patch of any type.

Many people are going to quit for now and wait until final release. That's a fact. Also, by leaving PvE server open it will make development longer. They will have to work on 2 fronts instead of 1 combined. 

Edited by Ned Loe

3 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

Many people are going to quit for now and wait until final release. That's a fact. Also, by leaving PvE server open it will make development longer. They will have to work on 2 fronts instead of 1 combined. 

Yah I think they should of just keep to it and made all there resources in one server to develope and be done with it.  I mean what folks did they listen to?  The whole 100 players on PvE serer?   Hell I seen lest than that just in the post on here and steam, but it's mainly all the cry babies that we been seeing post.  A lot of guys been on PvP2 this week checking it out and even getting into PvP.   They keep doing this, come out with something, than changing there minds and than taking even longer to do stuff.  That is why we haven't had a patch in 3-4 months.   They should of did this ship wipe things back in Dec/Jan when they first posted about it.  Now here it's Mar and they might do it next month.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

I'm a dreamer. Still dream about a full proper electronic format to play kriegspiel on the fly... :) go figure

I feel you. I can suggest one thing to Devs, add those bird/insects collections around the world for PvE/PvP servers. Exploration was promised if I can recall. Or make Explorers DLC pack worth $10. I will pay for any content we can get and this includes Junk Loot. 

J3LlhvJ.jpg

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 6