Game-Labs Forum

Simple Question to Developers

Dear Devs,

Could you possibly answer this:

Soon we are moving to 1 durability ships I have to ask what will happen if a Player loaded his ship with cargo and set sail to a port 1 hour away from his Only outpost port. He has only 1 more ship stored there. After about 50 minutes he got ambushed by 2 light frigates and he lost his 1 durability ship and cargo. 

What happens after? 

a) player is left with no ship and thrown into the nearest friendly port 50 minutes from his nearest port with 1 ship in it? Does this mean player has to spend another 50 minutes of sailing just to get back to his 1 durability ship? 

c) your answer

d) player says I won't sail for another hour just so he can get to his 1 dura ship and quits the game

I have a slight concern about 1 durability ships and how it will effect players. Maybe you can help us understand how do you see 1 dura ships is a good idea here and how it will promote healthy population. 

Edited by Ned Loe

Some people want 1 dur ships, my opinion is that it will be too hardcore. We will see. :) If Devs eventually decide to go back to multiple durabilities, may I suggest on crafting being able to chose the number of durabilities and scale resources to match.

Edited by Anne Wildcat

20 minutes ago, Zooloo said:

he can just buy outpost where he respawned, teleport to his main port and close the recent outpost

what happens if he maxed out outposts or has no more money? and something like this happens to him...teleporting to Capital won't save him time because his outpost if far from the capital. 

I know you can puzzle your way out of this, but don't you think it should be simpler? 

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 1

It is a good question but we assuming too much and too many scenarios.

A mechanic that can cover all is, as suggested before "Exit to nearest Outpost".

( Personally I always keep a reserve outpost to cover the latest scenario described. )

8 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

It is a good question but we assuming too much and too many scenarios.

A mechanic that can cover all is, as suggested before "Exit to nearest Outpost".

( Personally I always keep a reserve outpost to cover the latest scenario described. )

You will have to, with this 1 dura system players will need to set up back up outposts on their planned route before even committing to trade runs. This means never ending scrap/rebuild outpost just to keep you from sailing all the way back home to get another 1 dura trader ship. Honestly this is little scary and can be very unpopular. I still want to hear what Devs have in mind and how they see it makes gameplay enjoyable. 

Edited by Ned Loe

43 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

what happens if he maxed out outposts or has no more money? and something like this happens to him...

Well i believe one should always have a spare outpost slot, and stick to the common sense rule "don't risk what you can't afford to loose". Risking all your capital in 1 trade run is playing stupid, and that's what people do if you make everything easy with game mechanism.

Removing every consequence for defeat is the end of immersion, because everyone will be "whatever, let's trade afk, let's rush this 1v10 and respawn etc" instead of trying to play like a real captain would make his decisions.

(Not saying we should have a full simulation, it would be boring, but there's a middle ground)

Edited by Zooloo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ned Loe said:

what happens if he maxed out outposts or has no more money? and something like this happens to him...teleporting to Capital won't save him time because his outpost if far from the capital. 

I know you can puzzle your way out of this, but don't you think it should be simpler? 

then he buys a basic cutter and sails home.

2 hours ago, Ned Loe said:

You will have to, with this 1 dura system players will need to set up back up outposts on their planned route before even committing to trade runs. This means never ending scrap/rebuild outpost just to keep you from sailing all the way back home to get another 1 dura trader ship. Honestly this is little scary and can be very unpopular. I still want to hear what Devs have in mind and how they see it makes gameplay enjoyable. 

i dont really understand what difference 1 dura ships make to this ....if your sailing to a port in a 3 dura LGV  and 50 minutes into a 1 hour sail you are attacked ..you lose your cargo ..and you are put into the nearest friendly port ..in your LGV which now has 2 dura  ... you have the choice sail it back to an outpost or tp back to capital

with a 1 dura ship the only difference is you  lose the ship so you have to get a free basic cutter and sail it back or tp back to capital ..

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

i dont really understand what difference 1 dura ships make to this ....if your sailing to a port in a 3 dura LGV  and 50 minutes into a 1 hour sail you are attacked ..you lose your cargo ..and you are put into the nearest friendly port ..in your LGV which now has 2 dura  ... you have the choice sail it back to an outpost or tp back to capital

with a 1 dura ship the only difference is you  lose the ship so you have to get a free basic cutter and sail it back or tp back to capital ..

Isn't this useless and time consuming? I would like to see an option where I can select my next teleport destination after I get killed and not let system throw me whenever it wants. Many people I talked to will not play the game if they get sunk and will need to travel for another 50 minutes to get to another boat. That is why I started this topic, because a simple fix like 'let player select where to teleport after they sunk' will ease the pain for many. I am saying this because such small problem will cost NA huge amount of players. 

Edited by Ned Loe

2 hours ago, Ned Loe said:

Soon we are moving to 1 durability ships I have to ask what will happen if a Player loaded his ship with cargo and set sail to a port 1 hour away from his Only outpost port. He has only 1 more ship stored there. After about 50 minutes he got ambushed by 2 light frigates and he lost his 1 durability ship and cargo. 

This is not an issue of 1 dura ships, but respawn mechanics. If actual respawning in nearest port becomes a problem, what is quite likely, only this needs to be changed. I guess they have this in mind already, cause it got pointed out in several discussions.

Simply changing "teleport to nearest port" to "teleport to nearest outpost" should be fine. I think it would be nice that people you sank recently are out of the way a bit longer. 

1 hour ago, Ned Loe said:

This means never ending scrap/rebuild outpost just to keep you from sailing all the way back home to get another 1 dura trader ship. Honestly this is little scary and can be very unpopular. I still want to hear what Devs have in mind and how they see it makes gameplay enjoyable. 

Just read the discussions about 1 dura, your points not rudimentally scratch the gameplay advantages. In short: realism, immersion, captured ships valuable, more flexibility buying ships, more competition and player interaction.

They have stated somewhere that they needed to test it before release to close the doors on it for good. So I do not expect 1 dura ships to last for long, because it is stupid. But if they make it easier to craft new ships, then it might work out. Who knows, we need to test it ^_^

2 hours ago, Salty Dog PVP1 said:

then he buys a basic cutter and sails home.

Or buys a basic cutter and goes out and suicide attacks those two Frigates that sunk him in the first place, and in his rage, he sinks one and captures the other, regains half his goods, becomes a skilled cutter captain, and figures out a better way to trade then traveling 50 mins to deliver goods........

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ciccseven said:

Or buys a basic cutter and goes out and suicide attacks those two Frigates that sunk him in the first place, and in his rage, he sinks one and captures the other, regains half his goods, becomes a skilled cutter captain, and figures out a better way to trade then traveling 50 mins to deliver goods........

And then he wakes up in his bed

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

Maybe capital tp option if you are in a port without outpost(pls give us more permits), or lower the capital tp cd. Cutter sailing will be a big part of next patch it seems

Or a tp to capital button in result screen IF you've been sunk

Edited by Wigermo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 8:20 AM, Ned Loe said:

Dear Devs,

What happens after? 

a) player is left with no ship and thrown into the nearest friendly port 50 minutes from his nearest port with 1 ship in it? Does this mean player has to spend another 50 minutes of sailing just to get back to his 1 durability ship? 

c) your answer

d) player says I won't sail for another hour just so he can get to his 1 dura ship and quits the game

I have a slight concern about 1 durability ships and how it will effect players. Maybe you can help us understand how do you see 1 dura ships is a good idea here and how it will promote healthy population. 

People teleport now there is no sailing for the most part unless you want cargo moved fast and last time i played nobody did that anymore or sailed afk with a huge ai fleets protecting them. 

People loved the one dura when it was online... it.s the only way every ship are intersting to play. You capture a ship it.´s like you craft it. You can  do the same thing with it than with others ships. 

Atl the only ships good to board are first rate due of one dura. With one dura ships peope will capture many more ships tôfiled outposts. Maybe should they improve out pose size due one the one dura ...

On 3/28/2017 at 9:20 AM, Ned Loe said:

Dear Devs,

What happens after? 

c) your answer

Ned,

Did you get a reply from Devs regarding your question? I too am curious to the answer of your question. 14 days later and still waiting.:blink: