Game-Labs Forum

so I started learning to oil paint 3 months ago...

CatSwift

29 minutes ago, Werewolf said:

CatSwift, this is simply astounding work. The one with the ship at rest during sunset.... would you be interested in selling it?

Not selling any yet, just focusing on learning right now.  cheers.

• Like 1

Overall your ability to paint nature is good, but ships look bad. I would suggest you to go to NA get in the frigate, then park it somewhere and try to replicate it in your paintings. Once you learn to produce high detailed ships in your paintings you will be able to make $ selling them. Do not be afraid to simply replicate old Naval paintings. The more ships you paint the better you will get. I would start with Anatomy of the ship and Perspective basics. 

2-point1.jpg

Edited by Ned Low

On 4/13/2017 at 9:02 AM, Ned Low said:

Overall your ability to paint nature is good, but ships look bad. I would suggest you to go to NA get in the frigate, then park it somewhere and try to replicate it in your paintings. Once you learn to produce high detailed ships in your paintings you will be able to make $ selling them. Do not be afraid to simply replicate old Naval paintings. The more ships you paint the better you will get. I would start with Anatomy of the ship and Perspective basics. 

I actually thought his was considerably better than mine....granted I have more of a traditionalist nature to my style...

painting.thumb.png.3c56f1aa31de916b3e02789023bfa796.png

• Like 9

On 4/13/2017 at 11:02 AM, Ned Low said:

yes, i didn't post them chronologically here, but some of my first ships had some critical problems. if you want to see them in order you'd need to look on reddit.  i'll keep practicing :)

• 3 weeks later...

instead of ataching to your post us imigur. then use the "insert other media" button on above the "Submit Reply" one and select "from link"

HavqHdz.png

try replicate that one.

step 1 draw the ship with pencil on the canvas not a coal one but one that has a more organe tint to it.

step 2 ignore the ship focus on whater background sky and the shore.

once the background and the raw ship is done you can start focusing on the ship.

thats how most naval painters do it : painting starts at 8:20

here some offical loading screen art work from NA wich were sort of made in a similar way.