Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RAMJB

Who said "don't have high expectatives"? (First impressions)

So who said "don't expect too much from sea trials, is alpha"?.

Because I did hold those expectatives. And this game even while obviously in early stage and with a lot of work to be done on it, some stability issues, and some things here and there, plain simply ROCKS.

Of course I knew more or less what I would find - seen enough gameplay videos to get a picture, but even then the feeling is fantastic, the sound is overwhelming, the ships behave like no other game I've played (ahem....stuck on irons in my first game...ahem), the controls are intuitive and easy to grasp...

This game is EXCELLENT.

My only issue with it (it's a pretty big one): DXTory crashes the game when I try to start recording. Just freezes it, and I'm forced to alt tab and close it from task manager. I was looking forward putting some videos up in YT about Naval Action and that obviously is a serious problem for me. But thats an issue that it's not related with the game itself but with the recording.

Seriously Game Labs, you have a jewel in this game. Fantastic. I'm just at a loss of words. Just fantastic.

• Like 3

Yes mate I agree. Its got the makings of a brilliant game. I even managed to hit a couple of ships in my battles :D

If you're the legit RAMJB, did Jingles take a look? Is he into the age of sail?

I pointed him to this game in circonflexes' stream a couple weeks ago. He seemed mightily interested ;)

I pointed him to this game in circonflexes' stream a couple weeks ago. He seemed mightily interested ;)

and if I might add, I finally managed to record an in-game battle which is going to be up in my channel for tomorrow. I know he looks at my videos - and he's going to see it. If that doesn't instantly bring him on board, then he doesn't deserve to be ex-RN (radioman or not XD)

Only problem is that the footage's audio is seriously messed up. DUnno what causes it :/. but I'll clearly point out that it's a recording problem and that the in game sounds are the most spectacular thing one can expect from a game.

Looks great, plays great, really impressed. I'm running graphics ultra on a 50", my gf comes up the stairs and was like 'Holy shit what is that?!'

This game is only going to get better. I managed a few wins in my first few fights. Ran into the land too, but sailed right back out of it, which was odd.

No real bugs to speak of so far, just one freeze, which popped me back in after a minute. However I got sunk (wasn't paying attention to a leak) and am stuck watching the rest of the match for 40 minutes, it'd be nice if I could exit. 

However I got sunk (wasn't paying attention to a leak) and am stuck watching the rest of the match for 40 minutes, it'd be nice if I could exit. 

Esc ---> exit (to lobby)

Looks great, after a figured out that an old controller driver was screwing my rudder and finally was able to try a few battle. A great  1vs1 on PVE (the only one i played that seem balanced) and scored my first victory. Overall i think the model looks great, it runs great with no lags what so ever, it sounds great. My only annoyance is that the smaller ship like the lynx seems to go to fast.

ulysse77

I did. It was me. 

Plus until you get a bigger ship you have not really seen what this game can do.

This game is EXCELLENT.

I couldn't agree with you more RAMJB.  I have been very impressed with what I've seen so far.  It runs very smoothly while displaying tons of action.  I can't wait to see what it becomes in the future with it being so excellent now.  Granted I've only played in 2 PvE battles, it still ran better then most beta tests I've been in.

I just have a lot to learn about sailing and damage control.  That is not the game's fault though, I just need to learn the controls and sailing tactics.  I apologize for not knowing how to stop flooding and ditching you in my first battle. 

It's Alpha

Beer.... number 8 is your friend. Causes a portion of the crew to do damage control and allocated to plugging holes more efficiently.

It's Alpha

Beer.... number 8 is your friend. Causes a portion of the crew to do damage control and allocated to plugging holes more efficiently.

For the record, it does say beta on my Steam game library.  ;)  I keep seeing both Alpha and Beta used depending on the instance, I'm not sure what to call it outside of early access.     

Thank you for the info on damage control.  I thought it might set the entire crew  to damage control and stop the cannons from loading.  I know I got that idea from a different games naval battle rules, but I'm not sure which one (Empire Total War?).  I appreciate the correction.   :)    

I am really pleased you guys are loving it.....but it is a bit of a slap in the face for those of us who have been here and pre-ordered a long time ago (Sep 19th) and still don't have our keys yet, when we see guys who pre-ordered YESTERDAY getting their keys first. :(

For the record, it does say beta on my Steam game library.  ;)  I keep seeing both Alpha and Beta used depending on the instance, I'm not sure what to call it outside of early access.     

Thank you for the info on damage control.  I thought it might set the entire crew  to damage control and stop the cannons from loading.  I know I got that idea from a different games naval battle rules, but I'm not sure which one (Empire Total War?).  I appreciate the correction.   :)    

Fair enough on the alpha thing.

And how can you see when a person ordered the game? Ordering on the 17th september and signing up on the forum today is possible you know.  ;)

But I do understand why it is frustrating for you.

Does being on the forum and being active for long have a effect on the keys distribution.

Good question ad_jr. I can understand that the developers dont let all in at the same time. Fully understandable. But is there a thought behind it? Regional selection? How active they are?

Good question ad_jr. I can understand that the developers dont let all in at the same time. Fully understandable. But is there a thought behind it? Regional selection? How active they are?

they didnt want to crash the indie servers

I am really pleased you guys are loving it.....but it is a bit of a slap in the face for those of us who have been here and pre-ordered a long time ago (Sep 19th) and still don't have our keys yet, when we see guys who pre-ordered YESTERDAY getting their keys first. :(

I feel your pain, must be really annoying.

But trust me on this one the second your first game starts, you'll forget every annoyance for good.

Hope you get your key soon. And beware Blas de Lezo ;).

I know a bunch of guys who have their keys already who only ordered in the last week or so

Sir, take heart in the fact that I ordered September 14th - you'll likely have your before I have mine.