Game-Labs Forum

Important news: First full asset wipe & Exclusive early access frigate.

The engine of economy is fueled by inequality. Those with a high amount of stores and funds and those with little to none. Keeping assets will allow the economy to flourish. Starting everyone at ZERO with your current resource model will cause the system to stall out. The limited resources will disappear as everyone grabs it up. Ship building will be very slow because no one will have enough of anything build.

That said, not worth doing much in this game until the wipe, now.

7 hours ago, Jeheil said:

Bit ouchie for us Aussies, shutdown is already 6pm to 7pm, This pushes back any PB's (in our dreams) also means first PvP event is 10.30 !!

I have heard there are some dodgy old Youtube channels with all this and more (looks down at sig) :)

Okay. Scratch my request for shifting maintenance one hour. I can see it now... "A Letter to the King" will not be seen this week because that bastard Farrago pushed Aussies off the game. Lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Like you pushed them off to their own little island in the middle of no where. How could you?

I want Australia to have good pop and good ping in case I end up having to immigrate there. Lol

• Like 1

On the topic of "Server Maintenance":

I don't understand why some effort isn't put into shortening maintenance. 

1. Setup 2 servers, A which is playing and B on standby. 
  2. At Maintenance time, do maintenance on B
  3. then shut down A.
  4. Start up B.

Maintenance then would only need to be a minute or two.  Oh sure it might take a bit of coding and a bit of hardware.  But it would do away with that annoying one hour interruption that impacts west coast players (me) and Australian players, and probably some of the early morning Russian players too.

At end of next day, reverse the process.

Sure the servers could be more complex than this, or there could be a cluster of servers, but the principle outlined above should still be applicable.

• Like 1

Guest sruPL
1 hour ago, blakdog said:

3. then shut down A.
  4. Start up B.

Maintenance then would only need to be a minute or two.  Oh sure it might take a bit of coding and a bit of hardware.  But it would do away with that annoying one hour interruption that impacts west coast players (me) and Australian players, and probably some of the early morning Russian players too.

Sure the servers could be more complex than this, or there could be a cluster of servers, but the principle outlined above should still be applicable.

Admin said that all servers need to go down at the same time for whatever reason.

I am so excited! :wub::wub:

Some ideas (very dreamy and I don't expect to happen, and please move to proper posting if in wrong place)

1. Tower in each port to look-out of and physically see what's out there. (Before leaving port)

2. Open/close gun ports in OW & Battle.

3. More Ships

4. Create a European/ Mediterranean Map and create cross Atlantic travel.

5. Expand map to Maine 

6. Allow teleport to any outpost.

Thanks for the greatest game in the world!

~ 7☆

Edited by ciccseven
Typo
  • Like 3

I'm new to all this... do games typically need 30-60 minutes down time every day? Seems like a technical problem by the industry that would have been solved long ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sruPL said:

Admin said that all servers need to go down at the same time for whatever reason.

Most games do this cause they have some one that is in charge of this in case something goes bad and they are there ready to call the servers location to get them back up or do the back up boots needed to get the game back into service.  The down time is to save stuff so if they didn't do it every night and there was a crash and they only did this once a week you could loose a week worth of game time instead of say a few hours since last maintenance.

3 hours ago, Farrago said:

I'm new to all this... do games typically need 30-60 minutes down time every day? Seems like a technical problem by the industry that would have been solved long ago.

Most games it's more down to 15-30 mins unless you get a patch.  If you are on at that time it's not even an hour.  It runs normally about 30-45 mins down time and updates rarely take the full two hours.  Game is normally back up in an hour and half unless there is issues.   You have to remember they are doing back up of the game during this time and loading in any new changes, these things don't just happen at a snap of a finger.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hethwill said:

A month to blast away  :)

WHICH SERVER????

I think, this song fits....always wanted to catch this Aussie on the ocean....I am European, what am I gonna do????

(:

Edited by Wilson09

14 hours ago, ciccseven said:

I am so excited! :wub::wub:

Some ideas (very dreamy and I don't expect to happen, and please move to proper posting if in wrong place)

1. Tower in each port to look-out of and physically see what's out there. (Before leaving port)

2. Open/close gun ports in OW & Battle.

3. More Ships

4. Create a European/ Mediterranean Map and create cross Atlantic travel.

5. Expand map to Maine 

6. Allow teleport to any outpost.

Thanks for the greatest game in the world!

~ 7☆

1. Accept ! good idea :)

2. sure, looking good

2. accept! more diversity always wellcome .

4. for what ? the map is already huge! i think we never reach again the 2500 ppl. in server

5. ( American coast?)

6. done

Edited by hiclipucli

18 hours ago, blakdog said:

3. then shut down A.
  4. Start up B.

This could be accomplished by using 3 servers and a load balancer to direct the connections. When maintenance is about to be done to server1 a message to log out and back in is sent. This would cause players to disconnect from server1 and reconnect to another available server. All servers access the same database and thus a player connecting to any server will see the same information as any other player connecting to the other servers. With this the game can run uninterrupted if this is something that the company desires. That being said, I personally have never seen any game that ran 24/7 with no down time for maintenance even the ones where you pay to maintain a subscription to have access.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hiclipucli said:

1. Accept ! good idea :)

2. sure, looking good

2. accept! more diversity always wellcome .

4. for what ? the map is already huge! i think we never reach again the 2500 ppl. in server

5. ( American coast?)

6. done

5. Yes; American coast...long island, boat etc.

6. I mean; teleport to all ports that someone owns not just the home port (ie: Charleston for US) one would still have to pay to buy ports butwhen youre out sailing you can teleport to any"owned" port. It would quite the people who don't like sailing everywhere,  though I'm not one of them. Sailing it the point of this game....

4. Depressing that you think the game will never reach 2500 ppl, where's the faith! "Build it and they will come!"

Edited by ciccseven
Additions

Can you give everyone 1 million gold so we don't have to do that horrible horrible economic grind.    Some are smarter then others but starting with zero gold is just going to make me quit.   Don't give us ships.   I doubt giving everyone 1 million gold will ruin the economy.   

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, Sir Texas Sir said:

This is not a release, this is them doing a wipe so we can test things with a clean slate. Many folks are sitting on millions if not billions of gold and so much mats they have every can pump out first rates for weeks and not run out.  That doesn't allow us to test crafting and economics properly.  This will allow us to do so.  There will prob be another wipe when the game release later on.  Hell might be more than one if the Devs think they need it.

I agree on this and I will stand to lose a lot.   I was one of those pumping out 1st rates that sold in seconds.  But I refuse to grind that initial step.  You must give everyone a set standard of gold  (1 million seems right) and we can buy or make our own ships.  Don't give us ships.    I stand to lose 170million and 2 ports stacked and ready to pump out ships as I was told they were just wiping ships.      1  million in gold to everyone as we can open outposts,  get mats,  buy a good ship  or start trading hardcore.  But If you wipe all of it ..then I have to grind the worst part about becoming rich.  Its that barrier that I refuse to do again in real life and in game life on any game.   The newbies will be rich with 1 million but it will be peanuts to my 170 million , and 10k of every mats and 2ooo grade notes.   I cannot grind that initial bump in gold.  No way.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, waznewz said:

1 week ago - 'Ship wipe comming, get mats for new ships' now - 'everything gets wiped, no need for mats..'

LOL

Yeah.  Made me waste valuable time.    This is the most insane development of a game in pre release I have ever been involved with.  This game could have been a top game with the graphics, sound and battle system.   But without players , this game is dead.    I was selling ships to get mats ready for the wipe and now its a full wipe way before release.  INSANE.   Make up your damn mind and stick with it.     Fine woods was good.   It made sectors more valuable and limited ship production.  Doh.   Geez.  At least have some sort of fund raising so that we can buy stuff and not waste time.   Money is no object for me in real life and in this game.  Time is valuable.   Stop wasting it for you to develop this game and keep changing it .  It is nowhere near time to release this game. 

• Like 1

On 23/03/2017 at 5:50 PM, admin said:

Hello Captains. 
This is an important announcement on the asset wipe.  

Most importantly - your xp is safe. 

Bad news 
All assets (including money) will have to be removed from the game. We tried hard to find the way to keep the assets, but unfortunately due to the sheer volume of resources accumulated during experiments (which sometimes provided too much money or resources or both). In addition to that keeping resources will not allow us to properly test the economy changes, ship changes (including 1 durability), upgrade changes, npc resource distribution. All assets will be removed. We will provide 4 ships of various rank as redeemables to all players to give some head start. 

Good news
We mentioned some time ago (several times) that all participants of the early access will receive rewards for all the pains endured during this hazardous voyage. Today we can announce a first exclusive reward (there could be more) that all players who have owned the game during early access will receive. 

Pandora - beautiful, fast and agile light frigate famous for the search for the Bounty after her mutiny. 
veKKwIC.jpg

The ship will be delivered on release of the game or maybe earlier (for testing). It will be added to redeemables in one of two forms (we do not yet know which and will provide more information on this closer to release) un-tradeable permanent blueprint, or an eternal redeemable ship similar to the yacht. 

Timeline (timelines are not final)

1. Series of patches will be applied to testbed by the 10th of April (last patch to testbed was applied on 27th Feb)
  2. Asset wipe by 19th of April
  3. Preparation of the server merges and reorganization by 19th of April
  4. Opening of servers 19th-20th April

We understand that the action we take could be painful but it is absolutely needed for proper testing of the game before the release. 
Thank you for your attention.

Does that include outposts?

Will one of the 4 ships be a trader?

Also will there be a better distribution of farmable assets ie gold and silver. It is very frustrating when playing a minor nation when people like the Spanish get the best results.

• Like 3