Game-Labs Forum

The "Too Many Ships Problem"

I have mentioned this before, but think it merits a separate thread and attention:  I think that players should be allowed a fewer number of ships.  The ability of having up to 45 ships is much too high (8 outposts x 5 slots + 5 fleet slots) - actually, there is a way to have even more ships (indeed: if you send ships to an outpost that is full, the ships just remained in an undelivered queue)...

The ability to craft/have many ships gets in the way of pvp activity as we then keep crafting/buying ships to cater to all eventualities - which gets in the way of pvp.  Yes, we should have a number of ships (because we are allowed to have a number of outposts) - but this should be kept within reason (particularly now that we can tow ships around).

Suggestion:

1. No limit of ships at the outpost level
  2. An aggregate limit on the total number of ships per player of 3 x # of outpost slots that player has.
  3. Allow clans to have clan docks, with say a capacity of up to 10 concurrent ships
Edited by TaranisPrime
  • Like 1

I don't think it will be an instant problem after the next patch. All ships will be wiped. 1 dura ships are introduced. 1 dura means they will be in quick sink and rebuild rotation. Also, many ships were given away for free as rewards and that resulted in overcrowded docks. I myself have 4 outposts filled with ships and couple still as gifts. However, this does not mean that NA doesn't need ship slot expansion as an option, it actually needs it badly. Because as we know over time we will end up in the same mess. You will ask why? we have 2 types of players. One is PvP and another is PvE. PvP will go through ships very quickly and they only need the ships that work the best for them (fast, powerful and port battle ships), as for PvE they are more focused on safe sailing and ship collection gameplay. Developers should be able to realize this by now and introduce more ship slots. 

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 1

i dont agree with your logic on this. This is an MMO and it is based around players interest in ship combat, exploration, sailing around etc. Limiting players ships is a step in the wrong direction, instead players should be encouraged to build , test, try, share, experiment and have as many ships as the Dev's can allow for. Sure, many of those ships will sit and do nothing, but who cares that doesnt hurt the game.

Especially now that ships will be 1 dura, players would be happier knowing they have the freedom and option for more ships rather than being choked by new rules that limit their ships.

• Like 3

We can wait and see what comes of the new update.  The present iteration has a bias towards ship accumulation and upgrade which gets in the way of the game play.  Again, i do not advocate that we should only have 1 ship - but that we should have fewer ships.  24 ships is already a healthy number of ships slots to cycle through and would allow plenty of room for players to try out various ships as they grow through the ranks.  Also, this solution would alleviate the data server load - which has been a reason devs have cited for not rolling out clan docks. 

13 hours ago, TaranisPrime said:

I have mentioned this before, but think it merits a separate thread and attention:  I think that players should be allowed a fewer number of ships.  The ability of having up to 45 ships is much too high (8 outposts x 5 slots + 5 fleet slots) - actually, there is a way to have even more ships (indeed: if you send ships to an outpost that is full, the ships just remained in an undelivered queue)...

The ability to craft/have many ships gets in the way of pvp activity as we then keep crafting/buying ships to cater to all eventualities - which gets in the way of pvp.  Yes, we should have a number of ships (because we are allowed to have a number of outposts) - but this should be kept within reason (particularly now that we can tow ships around).

Suggestion:

1. No limit of ships at the outpost level
  2. An aggregate limit on the total number of ships per player of 3 x # of outpost slots that player has.
  3. Allow clans to have clan docks, with say a capacity of up to 10 concurrent ships

Clan docks would be a great idea, our clan has asked me about it numerous times.