Game-Labs Forum

Fleet Speed (1-2 ships in the fleet)

Darayavahus

Question

9 answers to this question

On 13-3-2017 at 4:36 PM, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

Last I recall, your fleet sails as slowly as the slowest ship on that particular point of sail (wind direction).  

That is the same answer I got ingame, and it seems logical to me. Otherwise they would not be a fleet very long.

Ok. I just wonder how it wil work after updates (wipe/new crafting/skills).

Cause there will be no difference between the ships in the fleet (if they are the same, have the same refit and build). Basicly only distinction will be on Sailing Skill's assigned to ship you are using... which might cause other fleet ships to slow you down (as they don't benefit from the skills).

I think there might be some issues with this.  A week or so ago we where going to tag an LVG out side of Little river.  I figure my Trinc and the Renno with me could prob get him with a good wind tag.  Well than I noticed something. He had a Wappen in his fleet and that perked it up even more as the BR means it was undercrewed too.   So we take off for the kill.  The LVG to us on better OW wind and just keep pulling from us.  With that Wappen in fleet it should been slow as a snail. I think some of the ships might not effect the OW like others.  Maybe cause it's a new ship it might of gotten left out of the equations or something.

• Like 1

I've had similar issues as Sir Texas and fleets in general. So this what I've being told and then I've tested... (never believe what ppl say, test it yourself)

When you put a ship into your fleet, the game reads that ship as a BASIC version with 1x medium cannons. The Whole fleet will travel at the slowest ship speed.

I had fleet Gold Heavy rattlers and Gold copper plate...doesn't make a difference. Its slow. And this was a bit of a kicker also, it might be fixed now but I took off my cannons...

The Rattler still fired her guns...

Games-Labs have made vast improvements since I started.. not that long a go and I've seen a marked improvements in the  AI fleet... not perfect but not like the old days with them going all over the place....

For Sir Texas's Issue... It depends which one is in your fleet, and what your loadout is on the main ship...

Sir Texas Fleet

BASIC Trinc Speed 12.39 w/ Heavy Cannons 12.37

BASIC Ren Speed 13.69... w/ Heavy Cannon 13.06

Rule of thumb, fleet travels at the slowest ship speed... Now I assume Sir Texas loaded guns onto both ships. This will drop the main ship speed but the fleet one will only default to BASIC. EXAMPLE the Trinc is a 50 Gun frigate. Maxed out Sir Texas could have had 28x 18pds, 22x 9pds and 4x 9pds all LONG. Or His Renomme is a 30 Gun Corvette. Maxed 26x 9pds, 4x 6pds and 4x 6pds again all LONG. I doubt he would have this but its to show the importance of the lead ship.

These are extreme heavy values to make a point, but if Sir Texas sailed the Corvette instead of the Trinc his over all fleet speed would be higher due to the TRINC now classed as having just  one set of medium 28x 18pds. Unfortunately it would be rather impractical for capping.

Target Fleet

BASIC LGV Speed 11.90 main

BASIC WVH Speed 11.27 fleet

If the Target Fleet had the WVH as a main. Its Heavy Cannon load out drops its speed to 10.36...!!!

I have a feeling that the answer lies in Sir Texas was in the Trinc and the Corvette was fleet. Even though Sir Texas guessed the target was under crewing I believe with the WVH it was just treated as a BASIC WVH. The LGV with no guns and Gold copper can push well above 12.45 with correct woods. And this is why he found it impossible to catch. 

Again its a guess not knowing all the figures and facts but that is I think is the reason why...

Norfolk.

Just wanted to add the Renno was a player not my fleet.   So we both weren't limited to AI speeds.   We where coming in bad wind direction so the LVG was able to pull on us, but with logic the slower ship and which has even worse wind directions than all three ships we should of been able to pull on him and catch him.  LVG has some really odd broken OW speed I think and some where some one said all traders get an OW boost in speeds.

Both ships where Cedar Speed Pirate refit.  I know for fact right now my in dock speed for my Trinc is 12.96, but folks need to remember that your in battle speed and things like perks and mods don't effect oven world speed.  I'm pretty sure that renno was prob in the mid 13's to almost 14 knots.  We where both tagging for fleets.  That was the grind for willimton when the big guys hit the super fleet and we just got out of a fight with some one else and was heading back to Little River now that I think of it.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 1

Yeah the Cedar or Fir will push the PC Ren Corvette to 14.50. Simply I don't know the answer without a total test. Apologies I thought I had the solution especially when you'd spotted the Under crewing...

Using fleets Id love to do more with. And in Battle would like more management control also ie... ship 1 go that position, ship 2 go to a different position. Unfortunately I only seem to use fleet now for transport. Not even as a blocker as the high end speeds I can get from LGVs make them really hard to catch. Adding a Fleet ship only slows them down.

Key point is in FLEET a ship is classed as BASIC with 1x medium cannon. No matter what you've added...

Norfolk