Game-Labs Forum

HMS Barfleur (1768) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

cheers :) still quite a few areas to tackle though.

I've seen there's a free web based sculpting tool called sculptgl similar to mudbox or zbrush so might have a look at if it can be used to model the intricate stern and bow decorations when everything is nearly complete

You forgot to mirror your rudder ;)

In general your model improved a lot over time. Tiphat for that.

And a tip that the devs game me once when I asked them about my own models was to flesh my galleries out with more subdivisions. Mine looked kinda similar to yours and so Id like to give you the same tip 2nd hand.

I wont give much critizism cause it still appears like a WIP when looking into it deeper. But it realy comes together nicely!

• Like 1

cheers guys :)

good spot @BungeeLemming missed that completely

so more detail/geometry around the galleries? Ok, sounds good.
I'm going to have a go at some of the stern decoration at some point - does the game use displacement/normal maps over low res geometry for such areas or is it just best to model to an acceptable level? (trying to remember doing such stuff a long time ago!)

Just working on the upper railings around the middle of the ship and the belfrey area. Will post an update when there's enough to view

Another update, adding some more geometry to the upper stern area, added stern gunports, added supports on the chainplates/platforms, added basic geometry for the rudder pintle/gudgeons, possibly a couple of other minor tweaks and finally experimented exporting directly from blender to see if the basic materials show (which they do) :)

Seems like the export has lost some sharp edges but I'm sure that can be sorted in the model somehow

https://skfb.ly/69xqP

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 2

Looking good :)

The edge flow at the stern might need some tweaking, I´d add a loop where the wing transom and the stern post meet:

This is how I do the geometry at the stern:

And I think you forgot to add the hull thickness, as there shouldn´t be a gap between the keel and the planks.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 1

cheers for the critique Malachi - much appreciated :)

Yes, I've still not quite mastered the stern edge loops so will have a look at that and try and improve it

The original shell was using just theplan lines and then I redrew them as paths and thickened them out to what I thought was roughly the right amount. Not knowing however I then tucked the lowest points back up into the keel when modelling as I *thought* this was how it should be - turns out to not be the case but I'm glad you've corrected me. I will however revisit the thickness as I may have made it too thin. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Like 1

Here's a question for the devs/ 3d modellers.
I'm still looking into rigging the ship in an efficient way but was wondering how it was done for the in game ships - most notably the victory as it wouldn't be vastly different from the barfleur.

If a game dev has any hints or tips such as how they have rigged the current ships or whether to just ignore the rigging then it would be a great help :)

Getting a copy of the victory rigging to apply to this would be ideal but extremely unlikely (you've got to ask) ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow going but *most* of the rigging paths are in apart from sheets, cluelines and halliards and anything above topgallants etc. I've also blocked in the sails just to get a better idea of how it will look.

barfleur-27.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Back onto this - until the rigging gets too much (again)

Some more updates including royals. I've also got the studding sails and their setup in place but not in these pics. Note, I'm only going on online rigging reference material and a couple of books and they all seem to differ in one way or another. I've hidden the shrouds/ratlines for now as they are still only blocked in.

Standard rigging so far without blocks etc..

barfleur_28.png

Royals added on top

barfleur_29.png

Additional rigging at the bow

barfleur_30.png

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This stalled as the game kept being updated and I kept losing progress.

A simplified version has now been made to be able to 3d print it at around 1:700 scale. You can just about make it out in the group photos on three other ships (swan-class, enterprise-class and Arethuse/HMS Undaunted) that I've made available on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/T1ckL35/designs

I've also got the southampton-class, arrogant-class and HMS Arethuse/Undaunted in the photos as 3d prints.

• 4 weeks later...

I’d be interested to know what the financial implications would be to get this warship into the game. As much as I’m certain that my misses wouldn’t be happy, I would very much consider sponsoring getting this ship from wonderful pictures etc to a tangible object within the naval action world.