Game-Labs Forum

HMS Barfleur (1768) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

Time to start another ship, this time the HMS Barfleur (1768), a 90 gun second rate (later 98) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Barfleur_(1768)

Took a while to create some clean plans from the ones I found (the best was distorted and the others were very low quality).
Just blocking in the shape at the minute using the original plans (2 tier stern gallery) but will modify this to have the actual 3 tier stern gallery that it was built with

barfleur-1.png

• Like 7

You're using Blender correct?

I've had a lot going on recently and have had to shelve any attempt at starting 3d modeling.  That being said, I'm hoping to get started sometime soon, but am unsure which program to use.  I've got access to Blender and the 3DS programs atm.

@Haratik, yes although I modelled in the distant past with Maya, Mudbox and a little 3dsMax.

I think Blender is at a point now where you can learn the modelling process and then switch between programs such as 3dsMax without a great deal of trouble - the learning curve then just becomes learning the program interface and where all the tools are rather than the modelling technique. The interface can keep catching you out so if you start using it make a constant note of the shortcuts or ways to do something otherwise you'll forget pretty fast. There is custom hotkey functionality but I keep forgetting to use it

@Snoopy, thanks, although I have to give credit to BungeeLemming. I wasn't sure what ship to go for but Bungee mentioned the Barfleur as being a very tempting ship to model :)

Id like to link the original "get to know barefleur" thread

These 2nd rates are interesting indeed. And the original outfit without the weatherdeck guns I feel might be better sailors than the more so overgunned 98 versions which are full of topdeck guns. (altho mostly carronades - weight is weight)

@Tickle:

you should use more subdivisions. Its better modeling the curves with more detail than trying to get along with what you have set in the first place. Do not limit yourself by such

This is an example of a 66 gunner I am working on. You can see that I use quite a lot of horizontal subdivisions in the waterline area. Because this vessel has a very distinct curve to it there. So I worked that out with more detail. Also you can do more vertical subdivisions on the bow. Also you can see how I used "weirdly placed" extra subs towards the stern.

58c66ec7e6c90_66gunship_side.thumb.jpg.4b2f31993fc76983f4e4bc03cda4e0b8.jpg

58c66fdad9bd8_66gunship_stern.thumb.jpg.87371c3072344c04a7b1450b9810c0ff.jpg

• Like 1

You beat me to it Bungee :)
The first picture was just getting some horizontal lines in to bulk it out. I then moved onto cutting edge loops that followed the general flow of the hull. Hopefully these will show the extra detail. Not quite finished as I need to tidy up as I've added a few more in as you suggested to make sure the hull doesn't lose any shape

barfleur-2.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35

Good point SteelSandwich, I was getting carried away with trying to figure the upper stern part and let the lines go out a bit. I've now tidied them up a bit.

I've blocked in the rudder and started blocking in the basic deck areas

barfleur-4.jpg

Cheers for the tip Bungee. Luckily I've already done the decks - they just aren't visible as it made the semi transparent view look cluttered. As you say, I've also been using them to cross reference the stem height and deck position :)

I'll show them on the next post

Cheers Wicked. It's currently about 5600 faces but I've no idea if that is a lot at this stage :)

edit: actually about 7400 faces - I'd not filled in the inner hull edge which has now been done - along with the hawse hole plates and holes

Edited by T1ckL35

I say faces when I mean quads - in the ideal world where you never end up with tris and ngons ;)

Point taken though Bungee - I've only ever had my models in a couple of my own games and I vaguely remember converting the final meshes to tris so it is good to be reminded.