Game-Labs Forum

'Pirate refits' help prevent 1st rate catastrophe once again.

2 hours ago, Captiva said:

In the end, whichever way the developers choose to make pirates different is totally fine with me. I definitely don't want them to do something that will make you or anyone else unhappy, because that would not be good for the game. And I certainly didn't want a sincere, thoughtful suggestion from Ned Loe to devolve into adolescent responses such as..."yes? No? Huh, thought so" or "Huh WHAT?! Yes. Done" or the extremely arrogant "They don't know what they're talking about man." No one on this forum has the ability to divine the thoughts and intentions of anyone else on this forum, and no can say with certainty that they are right when debating ideas.

I believe that nerf is the wrong adjective to use when describing any suggested change to pirates. If a pirate mechanic is changed with the intent of making the pirate faction a bit more historical, then that should and probably will be balanced by giving the pirate faction something in return which the other seven nations can't have. In this way no nerf is being deployed, just a different mechanic.

I was one of the first 15 members of your clan - Pete's Black clan - playing under a different name. I switched nations after a major wipe and realized that the pirate faction was identical to every other nation. That was a disappointment to me. Since that time, whenever the subject comes up for making pirates truly different from other nations, I offer my opinions. 

God bless you man, I only wish that players wouldn't take the knee jerk reaction that anyone who offers a suggestion for making pirates different, must then by default, have sinister reasons for doing so. Quite the contrary.

Look man, sorry I really didnt mean to sound like that when I start typing, but emotions took over. I apologise! Please forgive me - all opinions matter, especially those that have been presented so logically and calmly.

Back on the matter....
This is your own words:  I switched nations after a major wipe and realized that the pirate faction was identical to every other nation. That was a disappointment to me
Ok, if devs go with Ned's proposal and nerf pirates (yes -25% I still believe is a nerf, because you empower specific state of pirate affairs by removing their ability to sail same or equal vessels), then ask yourself HOW will this make pirates different? Harder yes. But what would be the specific thing that would make pirates different?

In other words a guy wants to re-roll pirate from nation. He realises that they cant sail that or that and its harder to do things. But what is the intensive to accept such challenge? 

That's why we said that we are not against pirates being unique, but we believe that they need to be unique through different mechanics as proposed above. This would really make them different from nations.
Because you said: I definitely don't want them to do something that will make you or anyone else unhappy, because that would not be good for the game.
I guarantee you that most pirates will not be happy about this nerf at all. I have been rolling with them for 8 months now. I know how they feel. They also want to be different so this common contagious hate feeling that comes from the nations will be somehow reduced, but what we definitely dont want is the game tells us that we cant sail same ships.
People will quit right away

This is old discussion but you are placing "men under the law" in the same bag as "enemies of mankind", that's absolutely not the same.

If anything the truest form of pyrate would have less access to outposts and indeed had to search if any given port at any given time would even take their prized cargo.

Now, I think the very basis of the suggestion is about power at sea between national navies and associated privateer armateurs and the libertalian form of pyracy.

Nations vs Pirates in the true sense is a complete asymmetrical design and very much like a regular army versus insurgents.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, koltes said:

Look man, sorry I really didnt mean to sound like that when I start typing, but emotions took over.

koltes,

No need to be sorry or apologize. I could sense from some of your other posts that you are a good guy that has legitimate concerns toward this great game. I also understand how high emotions can fly when someone is passionate toward a given subject. I've been there myself, so thank you for the offer.

Here's to hoping that the developers do indeed add another outlaw type faction for the player base that would welcome and embrace a significantly tougher challenge, while at the same time keeping the current pirate faction that has been in place since the beginning of the game. If they do this, then my only wish - for authenticity and historical reasons - would be that the newly added faction be called Pirates and the current existing Pirate faction something else. Outlaw is just a sub category that Pirates fall under. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker or ruin the game for me if it didn't happen.

Thank you, koltes, for your kind words and I'll see you on the forum. : )

Captiva

• Like 1

Capturing 1st rates get 25% penalty, need a refit.  If you are a pirate.

Capturing frigate as a national, that has been refit by pirates..  Should it have this same -25% penalty then?

Just trying to follow your idea, and see that the idea itself is in balance.  There is no reason to make player controlled faction to be purely weaker than others.

On 21.02.2017 at 7:19 PM, maturin said:

The benefit is that only a unique kind of player will roll pirate.

Not with the current conquest system, because Pirates at this point are not able to win any Port Battle and they used to be the biggest nation in the game. At the moment almost no one wants to play pirates, it's just the option for lonely wolves and Russians that dislike Danish Russians...

I reassert the previous comment: no nation had a fleet of santi's, connies, vicotries to run around with.  How about a pirate "Terror" bonus.  most trader ships just gave up when attacked by pirates - they didn't carry a fleet of victories and suprises around with them.

Edited by Naughty Nancy O'Malley
  • Like 1

And the one thing that will nerf this approach is Pirate Alts purchasing or crafting 1st rates and selling them to Pirates at a Freeport or flat out trading them from one character to another. This is why attempting to restrict a certain group from having equal access to something will not work, there is always a way around it. As it sits currently the only thing the pirates do not have is the ability to enter port battles along side another group.

This is my dream vision for pirates. No ports of their own being based in free ports. Unable to build their own ships and will have to capture, trade, or purchase ships. If capturing a ship they get that ships current durability. So if a frigate that is captured has 3/5 dura then the pirates would get a frigate with 3/5 dura. Pirates also get significant larger rewards for raids. Frankly, this isnt a finalized concept but my vision is to distinguish pirates as not a faction but something unique. I personally do not see it as nerfing pirates but rather having pirates roleplay as pirates.

Edited by Davos Seasworth
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...