Game-Labs Forum

Raids explained - forthcoming feature

11 minutes ago, Loco Bandito said:

How many raids per nation per day?

Will there be cooldowns after a successful raid or defence?

Valid questions. 

I was more hoping along the lines that the Pirates will be the only ones or be able to raid more than factions can. Although in return have no ports they can call their own and unable to do port battles. I suspected it would be a system similar to how port battles are set up or a non-player driven system.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davos Seasworth said:

Valid questions. 

I was more hoping along the lines that the Pirates will be the only ones or be able to raid more than factions can. Although in return have no ports they can call their own and unable to do port battles. I suspected it would be a system similar to how port battles are set up or a non-player driven system.

I agree if Pirates can't have ports and want to be treated like real Pirates then let us plunder and pillage. 

Also would like to see a letter of marque that a national could give to a Pirate to assist in a Port Battle for any nation, so we are Privateers/mercenaries. Letter of Marques could be attained from pvp kills or other tasks or purchased at port. Thus this way a small nation can fill its port battle slots.

• Like 9

Just now, Loco Bandito said:

I agree if Pirates can't have ports and want to be treated like real Pirates then let us plunder and pillage. 

Also would like to see a letter of marque that a national could give to a Pirate to assist in a Port Battle for any nation, so we are Privateers/mercenaries. Letter of Marques could be attained from pvp kills or other tasks or purchased at port. Thus this way a small nation can fill its port battle slots.

100% agree. 

The letter of marque is also a concept I would like to see rather than having two different pirate factions (outlaws/republic of nassau). If the pirate faction was able to function much like the pirates did then it should be made possible with one faction rather than two. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davos Seasworth said:

100% agree. 

The letter of marque is also a concept I would like to see rather than having two different pirate factions (outlaws/republic of nassau). If the pirate faction was able to function much like the pirates did then it should be made possible with one faction rather than two. 

Make Kidds the Outlaw/Pirate capital and turn Mort into a Neutral Town like Pitts is.  It has green zone safe for all around the port  and every one can use the ports of it's regiosn for buildings.  This will give nations one region something to fall back on.  Pirates can use all freeports and raided ports.  So much can be done but I get a feeling they are going to give us green on green ant than the shaft.  

I'm not to impressed with these raids as I figure it wuld be a port battle like the old flag systems.  15 vs 15 would be perfect for them to and only have it captured for like 3 days.  Than it returns to owner. Instead it's yet again another thing for the PvE of the game that doesn't support PvE.  Sorry I'm not going to want to be in a NPC ship stopping a bunch of players in maxed out exceptional ships.

• Like 5

The proposed raid mechanics is far too complex for us to really see without testing.
As such I'm willing to test it as devs offered with a condition/proposal that it will not be sacked based on player negativity, but rather will be worked on and tuned.

• Like 2

I'm not wholly opposed to this concept. In fact, I came up with something similar (compare/comment, link in sig). Overall, I don't mind if there are NPC ships provided that those NPCs do not preclude players from joining. In other words, if a 25-player fleet shows up to raid a rather large town with 10 NPC defending ships, then those 10 defender NPCs should be in addition to 25 slots for the player defenders. Additionally, I feel like raids should be focused on invading the town directly and disabling the shore defenses rather than merely shooting at other ships.

Edit: So, if I'm reading things right, defenders can only join if there are unoccupied NPC boats still available? If the attackers show up with 20-some ships and there's only 8 bots defending, then only 8 defenders can participate? Seems a little one-sided, if that's the case. It does make it nice in that it doesn't put the player's own ships at risk and force them to have ships available all over the place, though. Maybe additionally let players choose to take control of the forts/towers as well?

Edited by Kiithnaras

18 hours ago, koltes said:

The proposed raid mechanics is far too complex for us to really see without testing.
As such I'm willing to test it as devs offered with a condition/proposal that it will not be sacked based on player negativity, but rather will be worked on and tuned.

On the flip side, I would rather the devs provide clear, concise details on the mechanics that they have envisioned/drafted for feedback before spending development time coding features that wind up being unpleasant and in need of rework.

Personally, I hate feeling like my time was wasted because the result wasn't useful or appreciated and, more importantly, have to do it over. I will agree that some of the needless negativity is unwarranted, but proper, constructive criticism, positive or negative, should always be welcomed early and often.

• Like 1

Just now, Pad Seayew said:

I dot understand why Raids are not pirate only.  Seems un-navy-like for the Nationals.

I think the current system the devs is looking at is good for all nations, but I think raids like we want for the pirates to replace conquest stuff is what a lot of us want.  

I get the PvE concept and I"m sure if the rewards are worth it we might do them some times, but I would prefer to fight players not AI even if Players have chance to take control of those AI's.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiithnaras said:

I'm not wholly opposed to this concept. In fact, I came up with something similar (compare/comment, link in sig). Overall, I don't mind if there are NPC ships provided that those NPCs do not preclude players from joining. In other words, if a 25-player fleet shows up to raid a rather large town with 10 NPC defending ships, then those 10 defender NPCs should be in addition to 25 slots for the player defenders. Additionally, I feel like raids should be focused on invading the town directly and disabling the shore defenses rather than merely shooting at other ships.

Edit: So, if I'm reading things right, defenders can only join if there are unoccupied NPC boats still available? If the attackers show up with 20-some ships and there's only 8 bots defending, then only 8 defenders can participate? Seems a little one-sided, if that's the case. It does make it nice in that it doesn't put the player's own ships at risk and force them to have ships available all over the place, though. Maybe additionally let players choose to take control of the forts/towers as well?

I kinda see the numbers are of what ships where on hand.  Sorry a surprised raid attack wouldn't have your whole fleet in port when they happen.  Though I think it should go both ways. Some ports your only allowed bring so many ships on the raid, but the port might have more ships than you.

1 hour ago, Pad Seayew said:

I'm all for it for testing, just seems a little piratical to me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Haha

Hah, the gleam in a Captain's eye when he saw a lawful prize on the horizon made everyone at the time rather "piratical" (though admittedly an enemy naval vessel treated honorably captured sailors and officers with a fair amount of kindness and goodwill).  National naval vessels sacking an enemy port and stealing anything not nailed down isn't unheard of.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

Hah, the gleam in a Captain's eye when he saw a lawful prize on the horizon made everyone at the time rather "piratical" (though admittedly an enemy naval vessel treated honorably captured sailors and officers with a fair amount of kindness and goodwill).  National naval vessels sacking an enemy port and stealing anything not nailed down isn't unheard of.

Well many of these so called pirates where actually Privateers for one nation or another. Hell some of them even jumped from nation to nation.  Though looting did happen even by the military/navy cause well wars weren't cheap and if you sack a port it put a hurt on that other nation.   

So remember it's not piratical if your just doing it in the name of your nation...lol

2 hours ago, Ratline said:

What, if any, are the negative impacts on the port raided?

It would be wise to see Infrastructure damage, labor reduction. After Raid Port will need resources, so there should be restock missions for traders ASAP. Restocking port with resources should recover labor regeneration etc... Raided ports should be N1 stop for traders with rewards upon deliveries. This will complete the action circle. RRRR - Raid - Reduce - Restock - Repeat

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I kinda see the numbers are of what ships where on hand.  Sorry a surprised raid attack wouldn't have your whole fleet in port when they happen.  Though I think it should go both ways. Some ports your only allowed bring so many ships on the raid, but the port might have more ships than you.

Well, if that's the case, maybe after 15 minutes of battle, close the inner circle and force defenders to join from outside the outer circle, eh? *wiggles eyebrows*

• 2 weeks later...

When will the devs implement better multi-core utilization and hyper-threading for i7 CPU's. I still get sub 20fps in heavy 25v25 PB's on an i7 4790k @4.6GHz and a GTX 1080... We need some better performance tweaks here to increase this value to at least 45fps to be decently playable...

Edited by Jean Pual Vilvenue
  • Like 5

Good intent...Bad execution. Could have accomplished the same thing with current PB's by simply improving loot drops and making it such that captured loot can be traded between friendly vessels. Or reward capturing nation with x number of resources from types produced by the port or in port available inventory, and it's up to capturing nation players to haul it out or leave it, if the intend to retain the region/port.

Raids sound like a great addition to the layers of game play for Naval Action. It promotes pvp, it promotes activities for the bad guys, it helps make an ow mmo what it is.

Aside from the mechanics of raids, my recommendation is more so about "long term" player option....

Recommendations.

Raiders are able to steal the resources of other players at the raided port right?  if so great. however this is going to upset many carebear type players, especially if there is no options. So i propose naval action have two areas on the map. Carebear/newbie area that is "more" secure and free of raiders, (you know lots of npc ships patrolling around). The other area is the rest of the map that is a full on , all out pvp where players crush each other no holds barred.

Carebear area is a place where players can expect their goods to be safe in port however carebear area's are much less profitable , perhaps there is a limit to the size ship you can build, perhaps carebear area's are taxed by the npc nation? Bottom line is that carebear area's cater to safety for a player but limits productivity and prosperity.

Can we have player made nation options too at some point too Dev's?  That feature would grow your customer base two fold. I guarantee it or i am a pollywog!

Thanks for the updates, great game!

Edited by Rebel Witch

• 2 weeks later...

So given we have one release described in these threads, a totally different model on the test bed, a server split coming and total change to when you can pull flags....are we still getting raids ?

• Like 2