Game-Labs Forum

Accuracy of Gettysburg map

Garyjd

Why is the Ultimate General Civil War map of Gettysburg less accurate than that of Ultimate General Gettysburg version? The first two shots are of UG Gettysburg's McPherson barn and Lutheran Seminary. The next two are of the same locations in UG Civil war. What's with the moat and all the bridges crossing into the town of Gettysburg? The lay of the terrain itself is quite different. Hopefully the map is still being developed and will evolve over time.

1.  McPherson barn Ultimate General Gettysburg

2. Lutheran Seminary Ultimate General Gettysburg

3. Bridges crossing over the "Gettysburg moat" Ultimate General Civil War

4. McPherson barn Ultimate General Civil War

5. Lutheran Seminary Ultimate General Civil War

McPherUGG.jpg

semUGG.jpg

UGCWGett.jpg

UGCWMcPher.jpg

UGCWSem.jpg

Edited by Garyjd
  • Like 3

I too, have been curious as to why these two structure's were omitted from UG:CW as well. The McPherson Barn and Lutheran Seminary are two iconic and still existing structures on the Gettysburg battlefield. 

I'm also wondering why they omitted the arched brick entrance to Cemetery Hill.

I hope that the developers add or replace all structures with accurate depictions of them (Codori  Farm etc.) 

3 hours ago, DaveWoodchuck said:

I can speak to the moat, at least.  I'm fairly confident that there is a stream in that area in real life, and there was back then.  Whether it was enough to be a barrier is something I don't know, since it doesn't figure too prominently in any of my recollection of the battle.

This is a portion of the G.K. Warren map showing Gettysburg and Rock Creek to the east. As you can see there are no streams or creeks of any significance around the town.

gk warren map.jpg

In that map, Stevens run is marked, along with the appropriate contour lines to indicate where Stevens Run actually is. Now, as to whether Stevens Run is actually of any import? Well, if you take a look today it may not really be, but who knows if the river was actually much wider back then.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8311728,-77.2371438,3a,75y,45.47h,68.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOCV9CUWDGUfXFZzYKEDQcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It would appear by recent satellite photos of Gettysburg, that Stephens Creek may have been a victim of Urban sprawl.  (Notice too that the triangle formed by the Mummasburg road, and the old Harrisburg Road has also been devoured by urban sprawl.)

These coordinates are what appear to be Stephen's Creek in near proximity of Rock Creek which can clearly be seen to the right.  39.836697, -77.222885, flowing west to 39.831253, -77.237000 then a bit south and west 39.830225, -77.237785 then more south 39.828621, -77.239288  so you get an idea

But from these coordinates, it appears that the creek may not have been enough to even get anyone's feet wet.  So the map may be over exaggerating Stephen's creek.  If there are anything perhaps the ravine needs heightened which would necessitate bridging for the road and railroad.

Edited by A. P. Hill

From what I read Stevens Run,, is a tributary of Rock Creek it is approx 2.2 miles long. You can fish it, in Mid/ late spring. In July most would be a dry bed with a side trickle of water(as A.P.Hill said) with some standing pools, as you got closer to Rock Creek,,,

Rock Creek was a deep creek at some places on July 1st n Had Ewell's men looking for fords/crossing points,men were crossing at some places chest deep...,,iirc........

23 hours ago, jennison said:

I think you guys are barking up the wrong poplar tree here.  If you want a game with uber historical accuracy, go play Scourge Of War: Gettysburg.  :)

I don't think what few comments have been made are asking for UBER accuracy.

• Like 1

I'm a bit disappointed too that the seminary building and cemeteray gate are not included on the map, as they are pretty iconc and were included in UG:Gettysburg. I hope they will be added in a future update to make the map  bit more accurate/add more eyecandy. Also I think there should be a few more rocks on the west side of Little Round Top and the gap between Little Round Top and Round Top should be a bit larger.

What bothers me the most is the Round Tops. To get from Big Round Top to Little Round Top, you need to go all the way down Big Round Top, then all the way up Little Round Top. It's not just a straight downhill as it has been depicted in both UGG and UGCW. 

A stream in that location would necessarily be local low ground and likely had a rocky bed, which may have some minor tactical and maneuver significance as well as being a landmark if identifiable.   For a game, the landmarks would naturally be of considerable interest.

4 hours ago, 22ndNorthCarolina said:

Its still beta, i have no doubt Nick and crew will clean this up before the final version is released.

This is something I thought of as well. Regardless of what changes if any are made this game is already a classic in my book.

• 2 months later...
On 2017-2-28 at 5:25 PM, Wright29 said:

What bothers me the most is the Round Tops. To get from Big Round Top to Little Round Top, you need to go all the way down Big Round Top, then all the way up Little Round Top. It's not just a straight downhill as it has been depicted in both UGG and UGCW. 

There is a significant dip between the two, which greatly aided he 20th