Game-Labs Forum

Insert English Textual Mistakes Here

This thread is used to post corrections of text errors seen ingame and on official Game-Labs websites.

If you spot any clear errors in English text ingame or on official Game-Labs websites, please report them in this thread with the exact location of the error. A screenshot with the error highlighted would be helpful.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Homepage.

(Corrections/suggetions in red).

Sail is fundamental to the story of the modern world. Great men willingly risked everything sailing into the eternal darkness of the unknown. Traders, Navigators, Naval officers, Pirates and Privateers were roaming the seas in pursuit of fame and treasure.

Our goal is to create an exciting and realistic naval combat game. We want to give players the a first-hand experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

We have started work in February 2013. Naval Action is being developed by professionals who participated in the production of S.T.A.L.K.E.R, World of Tanks, IL-2, Rise of Flight and other less important games.

The game will feature (eventually):

• Multiplayer and Co-Op
  • Authentic ships
  • Realistic ship combat
  • Trading, exploration and crafting
  • Global conquest

Our process is going to be very open and iterative. We will actively share what we are doing and why we are doing it. In addition to this, we will let our community to vote on development milestones and help prioritize features. We will always release features early and will improve them together with our players. The most active members of the community will get access to exclusive content. 

This game is for you and we do really want your opinion and feedback.

DISCLAIMER - I don't claim to be an expert on grammar (for example, I can't make up my mind about "the first hand experience" or "a first hand experience" or even just "first hand experience), but since you asked I thought I'd point out the above errors which are kind of jarring to the flow of the sentences.  I hope it helps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there a historical reason why the beginning forum rank (Landsmen) is in plural form while all following ranks are in singular?

I'm not a native speaker, but I expected it to be

"Landsman"

As it is the most popular rank in the forums ;)  I would like to see it correct. Either through changing it or through changing my lack of knowledge of contemporary english.

• 2 weeks later...

Admin - It's a problem with plurality.

One person is a Landsman, an Able Seaman, an Ordinary Seaman, Midshipman.  

Two people or more would be Landsmen, Able Seamen, Ordinary Seaman, Midshipmen.

The noun is "man", the plural of which is "men".

O'Brian's "The Mauritius Command", Page 60:

...a good average crew, upon the whole with no more than a fair share of landsmen and with a gratifying proportion of hands who deserved their rating of able seaman;...

He was also happy to be rid of a great lout of a midshipman who made the youngster's lives a burden to them...

Hope that helps!

Admin - It's a problem with plurality.

One person is a Landsman, an Able Seaman, an Ordinary Seaman, Midshipman.  

Two people or more would be Landsmen, Able Seamen, Ordinary Seaman, Midshipmen.

The noun is "man", the plural of which is "men".

O'Brian's "The Mauritius Command", Page 60:

Hope that helps!

That's exactly what I meant. Merci beaucoup, Henry!