Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedack 0.75

Nick Thomadis

Here is some numbers Nox you were close according to this site...

http://thomaslegion.net/battleofgettysburgstrengthofthearmies.html

AoP.......There are no field returns for the Cavalry Corps or the Artillery Reserve for July 4th. But estimating in round numbers, 78,000 is the maximum fighting strength for the seven army corps. By adding 13,000 for the Cavalry Corps, and 2500 for the Artillery Reserve (as shown by the return for June 30th), an aggregate of 93,500 is obtained.

The effective strength as reported by the seven army corps commanders at the council held on the evening of July 2d, was as follows: About 9000, 12,500, 9000, 6000, 8500, 6000, 7000,--total 58,000.Unfortunately, the particular corps represented by these figures are not stated in the minutes of the council......

CSA......According to the returns of the Confederate Army for May 31st, 1863, which were the final reports preceding the battle, the 'effective total' of enlisted men was:................

Infantry...................... 54,356 
Stuart's Cavalry............ 9,536 
Artillery....................... 4,460 
Alexander's and Garnett's artillery battalions (consisting of ten batteries) are not included in the above figures. Their effective strength may, however, be stated at 800 officers and men. There were also 6116 officers borne on the return as 'present for duty,' which added to the foregoing and give an aggregate of 75,268 officers and men......

8 hours ago, Label said:

Are there any plans on either reducing, or removing the battle timer at all? I feel like it's super punishing for players who like to take their time and be deliberate with their troop deployment. I can't count the amount of times I have literally had the AI surrounded on all sides, pounding them with line infantry and artillery and I arbitrarily fail the mission because "Oh sorry you ran out of time" even though I was clearly winning the battle. I have asked other people who have the game on my friends list to see if it's just me and they agree with me that it's super punishing. It seems like it's trying to force the player to play counter to their play style, which is kinda counter intuitive to me. I would really like to play this game, but I can't help but get frustrated with the timer. 

Can you provide a specific example where timer forced you to rush in order to win the battle?

So my experience on the Gettysburg Union Campaign....

Overall, definitely satisfied by the epicness of the battles, the challenge it provided.

2nd Winchester

God this was probably the most micro-intensive and challenging battle since Crossroads. I really loved how I had to make use of the fortifications and keep tabs on the enemy to fend off their assaults. Hard battle, but rewarding upon winning and it's possible to win by a comfortable margin if you know what  you're doing. 

Battle of Gettysburg

I'm smarting over the halving of my 1st Corps. But overall, I feel I got a good challenge and a historically-accurate battle that is an improvement over the old Ultimate General: Gettysburg.

Anyway my results:

58a31b87ad367_2017-02-14(4).thumb.png.178c292aafac3cec4dedc2454d73b362.png

Just to clarify, I deployed 3 corps led by 3 Lt. Generals. My cavalry was all in the first corps of my army.

The biggest challenge of the battle came on the first day where I lost almost 50% of my 1st corps doing this slow... achingly loss-heavy battle to try to hold South Seminary, before realizing it was futile and withdrawing to the town and Cemetery hill. Boy that first day was hectic. 

The 2nd day began prettty scarily with Longstreet's attack on the Round Tops...and the attack on Culp's hill. the problem was that after that battle... in the 3rd day the rest of the engagements were me, sitting behind a wall and moving a few regiments here to hold off really weak confederate attacks. The CSA had really depleted their manpower, as you can see, they ended up losing nearly 53 thousand infantry. 

All in all, i loved the challenge I got in the first two days and responding to Confederate attacks on Culp's hill, and Round top, but the 3rd day's attacks were... piecemeal. I still think the devs have done a great job with balancing, but I wonder if the Confederate AI is a bit... tooo aggressive on Gettysburg. Still think this battle was a great improvement over the old Gettysburg.

P.S. There was one odd bug in one of the culp's hill battles. I charged a garrisoned 160 skirmisher group (the bottom of the map near the forest) with a 2 star brigade of 900 men... but that skirmisher group somehow just... held... I had to kill them all in order to break them. I felt this was a bit too overpowered.

Edited by vren55
need to touch upon 2nd winchester

10 hours ago, Label said:

Are there any plans on either reducing, or removing the battle timer at all? I feel like it's super punishing for players who like to take their time and be deliberate with their troop deployment. I can't count the amount of times I have literally had the AI surrounded on all sides, pounding them with line infantry and artillery and I arbitrarily fail the mission because "Oh sorry you ran out of time" even though I was clearly winning the battle. I have asked other people who have the game on my friends list to see if it's just me and they agree with me that it's super punishing. It seems like it's trying to force the player to play counter to their play style, which is kinda counter intuitive to me. I would really like to play this game, but I can't help but get frustrated with the timer. 

Remember Napoleon and others about losing anything but time. A wise commander knows when to take time to reconnoiter, plan , and prepare with care, and when he must act with decision and dispatch.

The timers are key to the pacing of a battle, and part of the charm is that some urgencies turn out to be illusory, leaving time to spare, as happens often in life and war, not least in the ACW. The game shows the bit of the painstaking McClellan each of us. In honor of the freshly recruited new scenario, I might mention Ewell's dilemma before Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill. 

Where the game is kinder than Mars, the God of War, is that it is in the nature of game design for a mass market that there is never a scenario where the player is inherently unaware that he is going to be too weak or too late despite all efforts. Dealing with no-win scenarios is not popular. That is for Star Trek and umpired tabletop campaigns, where players can suffer the equivalent of an Ulm or Sedan, or enjoy delivering the like of a France '40 surprise against an opponent who it turns out mistakes his situation.

It will do for general orders to march to the sound of the guns and when in doubt to make haste and come up. 

Edited by MikeK
typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Viperlord said:

My gut reaction to Second Winchester is that it would be far less of a pain if it was an hour shorter. As it is, I'm taking too many casualties winning it for it to be worth it to me.

I only took 8k casualties on Winchester on medium after deploying 23k versus 25.9k confederates. I suggest replaying it, but try withdrawing to the town when the pressure on the forest gets too intense. 

10 hours ago, Label said:

It's punishing b/c it's realistic I think. Lee only had so much time at Gettysburg to capitalize his advantage before reinforcements would arrive. To remove the battle timer is thus unrealistic and would reduce the historical value of the battles. Reduction... or playing with it might be useful, but then that'd up the battle length which would affect playability significantly and run the risk of making it either 1, boring, or 2, repetitive. I do think it's possible to reduce the battle timer.... but right now I'm personally satisfied and yes, I've had to replay a few battles, but usually due to a wrong approach with my fights, not the actual timer,

Edited by vren55

36 minutes ago, vren55 said:

P.S. There was one odd bug in one of the culp's hill battles. I charged a garrisoned 160 skirmisher group (the bottom of the map near the forest) with a 2 star brigade of 900 men... but that skirmisher group somehow just... held... I had to kill them all in order to break them. I felt this was a bit too overpowered.

As the many analyses from the 19th century bear out, charges are complex matters and the psychological element is paramount. Are frontal charges still effective against a wavering unit once close, made in order to "shock" them to tip their mental balance in favor of flight to fight again.  Skedaddle, rally, and come in again is a common pattern if troops can regroup. The classic close range volley and charge into unsteady troops should still work if the psychological balance is tipped.  Which could be be triggered or multiplied by otherwise minor events.or dramatic ones such as seeing a commander downed.  Th exervise of leadership could swing reactions in any way.  Does

Does recon skill increase provide such insight into the mental state of a nearby opposing brigade?  

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Can you provide a specific example where timer forced you to rush in order to win the battle?

Yep.

I was setting up Cedar Mountain, slowly but surely drawing out union brigades one at a time to be destroyed. I had wasted about 4 brigades and was a long way from victory when the "Finish Game" button popped. I ignored it and played on, working on the 5th brigade, when I got the "Defeat" screen.

What is the duration of this battle?  20 minutes? 

22 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

It is probably because of corrupted save, because previous version had a bug in asset of battle rewards and we fixed. Let us know if problem persists in a new game session.

Got that issue too. Which I find REALLY weird b/c it was totally fine for my Union save. Perhaps it was because I played through salem church... 

16 minutes ago, Sykes said:

I have negative career points as well. I guess the only way to remedy the situation is to re-start my campaign?

I did a save before doing Battle of Salem. If you play through that, then you can end up with positive career points again.

• Like 3

The first time I played Harper's ferry I lost because the timer ran out just as I was capturing the victory point and I had the union flank turned.

I also have run out of time on river crossing when moving on the vp because I sat back and used my artillery to whittle down the rebs. I think the timer should be increased for the minor battles as most battles the fight went on until ammo ran out or it got too dark.

I only took 8k casualties on Winchester on medium after deploying 23k versus 25.9k confederates. I suggest replaying it, but try withdrawing to the town when the pressure on the forest gets too intense. 

Given that the reward in personnel for the battle is barely half that, that was somewhat my point. I decided it wasn't worth it to fight that battle prior to Gettysburg.

23 minutes ago, GeneralPITA said:

I'd suggest that the missions all end exactly 30 minutes after the timer runs out, that way you don't lose simply because a VP is being contested. 

Timers were adjusted in this patch. Let us know if you see any odd inconsistencies.

Well, current solution for Gettysburg 1st day/Chancellorsville 3rd day - where you have several hours after timer runs out, is really good one. It allows you to plan for determined push to capture VP and win battle, but not to totally rush for it. I like it a lot!

Edited by Slobodan

11 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Anyone messed around with 20pdr Parrots after this second buff yet? Are they finally worth using or still not worth the cost or even still flat out inferior to cheaper options?

I hope they are good now, since they are all you capture on Legendary as the Confederates. :)