Game-Labs Forum

Balancing of wood, modules, trims and perks

I want to point out how overall balancing is missing for wood, crafting boni, modules, regional boni and perks. This table shows some actual balancing issues. With resonable balancing the value of stats, e.g. for each wood type, would be very similar.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApKoyZ6EWUMSgQ7EO_c5dfJ_dkO5

The references are imbalanced as well. Three, probably four wood types out of six are unnecessary. They could add 10 more wood types, without proper balancing, this wouldnt add much to the game. Decisions make these features fun, but these require options. I dont understand why nobody realises. I mean, they invest time and money to implement stuff, that is actually doin nothing in terms of improved gameplay. When everybody is using the same wood, mods, boni and perks, all these features have no meaning. The only result, they become necessary to be competetive, they are annoying. 

How balancing could look like based on a concept:

large.Balancing_example.jpg.f3da75075e05c2cf1444149d9585ba68.jpg

The difficulty: finding the right references (1% speed = x% hull = y% armour = ...). The woods, trims and perks themselfes can be shaped how you want them to be with a simple table like this.

For this i propose:

• More depth for wood types including less heel and less leaking for heavier woods, more acceleration and turning speed for light woods. Also speed could be devided in up- and downwind (heavy woods with higher penalty upwind).
  • Boni in percentage for everything effecting different rated ships.
  • Wood boni having 3-4 times more impact compared with other boni. The payoffs for tanky and fast ships could not be negated by upgrades that easy anymore. That means high quality mods and ships become less important, the wood would define the main characteristics of the ship.

Here a simple balancing tool. Use the right table (main sheet) to define the boni, then adjust the references. Note: armour is in percent here.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApKoyZ6EWUMSgRROpo5UOlW8nF_J

I hope this can be helpful somehow. Have fun testing around, post your opinion how this balancing should look like, and feel free to post your setup if you found a good one.

Edited by Fargo
  • Like 6