Game-Labs Forum

Spanish/French Kingston Harbour Battle,and the problem with forts

MajorGosnell

Wanted to discuss the strength and damage rate or town forts after last nights embarassing debacle.

On Tuesday The Spanish and French (25 ships ,1st-3rd rates)came to Kingston for a late night fight.Unfortunately England was only able to muster a small defence ,of mostly 4th-5th rate ships and 1 Black Painted Santisma. Forming a line at the harbour mouth.The Spanish/French waited till the wind was due north then tagged a passing ai force.England rapidly fell back towards Kingstons Forts....

However,the forts were sadly ineffectual,providing limited damage,and coordination against the enemy fleet.It was disappointing,the forts provided irregular shots,and very low damage against the attackers.It Would also appear that the fort that lies to the left of the harbour dosent work,i didnt see it fire once even when ships were close.They need to improve the forts a.i and introduce targetted volleys.

• Like 4

Imagine who fun it would have been if OW battels are open forever... dozens of ships joining from all nations to defend the British capital ...

Sadly, as it is right now there are some few people who could join, the rest is excluded.

We could have such fun battles every night. Please DEVs change this or implement raids ASAP! =)

Edited by shaeberle84

I think forts are pretty strong. They shoot really fast and they do a lot of dmg with high penetration. In fights you actually see a lot of ships sinking to forts (player X was killed by Tower A), which means they did mayor damage to them.

Whenever I get targetted by one Ill get the hell outta that area.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Which ship did you sail? A frigate?

At what range did you fight? 

Biggest was Bellona I think and I still received a lot of damage. Shots never bounced, even if I had a good angle towards the fort.

Range idk, just in range so that the fort starts shooting I guess.

I was once close (5 frigs vs 1 trader) and the fort absolutely demolished us. 1 guy sank becuz he got demasted, the rest survived barely (the trader survived easily).

Since that I try to never go near the forts

Edited by JonSnowLetsGo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shaeberle84 said:

Imagine who fun it would have been if OW battels are open forever... dozens of ships joining from all nations to defend the British capital ...

I don't have to imagine, because that is how it used to be.  If we didn't have teamspeak and chat, but had to use signals and letters to send messages, then this would be the right way to do things.  But because everyone can get on teamspeak or type in nation chat, this is not feasible nor practical nor fun.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 3

If Fort became to strong, it'll be a really really (and sorry for the expression) pain in the ass!

Example: actually, a trader player can take two fleet with him, and follow the coast well guard by fort and tower at some point. For a single trader hunter, its totally insane.

Dont forget all the data. If forts are not effective enough to take down a fleet of 25 (seems logic to me), they totally crush a single player, or really disadvantage a small group.

6 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It is curious, I have the opposite reports from friends of mine and myself.

In the testbed server (which buffed a bit the forts capabilities) I was under the fire of one fort at 250m against my mahogany Pavel (cant remember the build) and the overall damage was quite disappointing.

Curious.....Some people tell me that, and also my experience, but with live oak first and second rates........ Maybe we should consider the type of wood...... Maybe forts just can't damage live oak first and second......

Perhaps the forts should only target rigging ,and after demast switch to hull.Also I think a battle shouldnt end until all ships are no longer under fire from, forts.That fleet was stuck in the harbour,the wind completely blocking their escape.In Real life that would have been a disaster.

Forts are fine as they are featured today, quite powerfull as it should be. Those features are the same for every ports or every capitals. Why should we also complain about that detail ?

Raids to Capitals are good fun (but lately very few are performed). The defenders have great fire support from forts, port raid is a chicky challenge for attackers with much higher risk to loose ships. 

More raids to enemy Capitals would bring more activity for the whole community. 

Intrepido, why would you like heavier port defences ? today very few Port attacks are successful when 25Vs25. 

4 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Forts are fine as they are featured today, quite powerfull as it should be. Those features are the same for every ports or every capitals. Why should we also complain about that detail ?

Raids to Capitals are good fun (but lately very few are performed). The defenders have great fire support from forts, port raid is a chicky challenge for attackers with much higher risk to loose ships. 

More raids to enemy Capitals would bring more activity for the whole community. 

Intrepido, why would you like heavier port defences ? today very few Port attacks are successful when 25Vs25. 

My bold emphasis above.

Well, not every port or every capital.  Wilmington is the regional capital for the North Carolina region.  It has no fortifications at all, not one square fort, not even one Martello tower. 

On 2/10/2017 at 4:48 PM, Intrepido said:

Because I have tested their capabilities in several battles at pvp1 and testbed server. This vídeo shows quite well how a fleet can be under their fire, survive and win the battle.

Since the PB patch, forts are used as a fast way to get points for the attackers instead of being truly useful for the defenders. And, in my playtime, no fort have scored a kill against a SoL.

Yup. forts in PBs are actually worse than worthless for the defenders. Most of the time they dont even protect the caps, and when they do its like a small portion of the cap that is easily avoided. 

And as you said, they actually benefit the attackers more than the defenders.