Game-Labs Forum

Website Project ( fans made/contribution )

So for one of my classes I was assigned to design a website layout with a degree of full function. Subject matter could be anything. I decided since I been spending most of my down time with Naval Action lately to create a website for the game. Nothing complex but something that would have basic information on the ships, crafting, and other information for new players. Since this is for non-profit and just for a design portfolio wanted to ask the Naval Action Community if there was any information they would be willing to add such as tutorials they are willing to have within this design please link me to the tutorials below. Credit will be given to the proper individuals of course.

I will try to keep this updated with my progress. I have two weeks to complete this project.

EDIT: Just to clarity I am a graphic designer and I am not a web designer. I can create a design for a website such as layout and linking between the pages using InDesign but I have a miminum understanding of html to create a fully functioning website. My objective is to create a layout where rather than having to jump between websites such as the forums or NA wiki that it will be on one website. Especially a place for new players to find the basic information to get a good understanding of the game.

Edited by Marrius
  • Like 9

I'd like to see the site centered around player info...having player profiles we can create and update, and look similar to the wargaming site, but NA themed and with all the great helpful NA sites embeded....especially maps for each server.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Mate, you should include a new set of cool and good new pics / videos with all the new ships, land in battles, fortifications... It could help to advertise a bit more the game.

An Atlas section :)

( bring me memory of seeing this long long ago with coast profiles and all, before we had GPS - link )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, van der Decken said:

I'd like to see the site centered around player info...having player profiles we can create and update, and look similar to the wargaming site, but NA themed and with all the great helpful NA sites embeded....especially maps for each server.

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Would like, tbh, to be like a Gazette, with editorials, stories, period style chronicles, and illustrated/vision media tutorials of course.

Care to literate? I think I have an idea on what you both mean but I want to make sure I am not going a whole new direction.

1 hour ago, OlavDeng2 said:

as the creator of the wiki, Feel free to use any of the info that is there!

thank you sir.

57 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

As a graphic designer project you should focus in making something beatiful, elegant and intelligent. Something that never gets old, something beyond fashions.

This is my advice for all your works.

There is a balance one must do however. You must make sure there is a common theme, simplicity so it is easy to navigate, nothing that will easily distract the eyes or take away from the content, and easy to read. There are a few other items that could be mentioned. I don't plan to treat this like Firefox attaching a bunch of bells and whistles where the content itself is lost.

This would be a blog format:

Guest captains write articles or make videos on certain topics of interest. For example...

How to defeat a more powerful enemy in 1v1.

How to get an opponent off your tail.

Best tactics in X situation

Organizing fleets and tactics for the attack.

Trade missions.

Crafting tips.

Optimal cannon loadout for X

You get the idea. Generally "experts" like to teach. In the blog format, you can easily organize your material using tags and categories. Readers can "like", share, and comment. 

I may be able to help with some HTML troubleshooting if you get stuck.  PM me if needed, but wow 2 weeks is a tough deadline for a site from scratch.  I agree with above, do what you do best and leverage your artistic talent to your advantage (I have zero of that) for eye candy, and use a few jquery calls to make it a little fancier if you are in a competition.  Insert a jquery slideshow on the home page for example, and use some open/close slides up/down etc, to hide some pre-made charts, etc from the wiki and if you have permission also from navalactioncraft.com.  I aint great at it, but can help you troubleshoot pages if they are fighting you and you are running up against your deadline.  That is, if you are allowed to receive any help.

So this is what I have planned so far:

1) Going to have a title page. Background will be the original Naval Action Trailer in the background playing in a loop. No volume. Fading in after a very short time will be a link "Enter" which will take you to the home page. 

2) Home page contents will be listing off the updates for the wiki, game itself, and guides. On the side will be the most recently started threads on the forum, A download link, and a few other items.

3) Layout theme I am thinking either parchment or ship hull wood. Possibly a combination of both. 

4) forum will have the same layout as here except changes to theme to keep it similar with rest of the website layout. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marrius said:

1) Going to have a title page. Background will be the original Naval Action Trailer in the background playing in a loop. No volume. Fading in after a very

Just an opinion, but splash pages tend to annoy people after a few times of seeing them, at least according to studies and my own personal experience.  If you are going to create one then my suggestion would be to have the Enter button available immediately rather than a fade-in effect after delay.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

Just an opinion, but splash pages tend to annoy people after a few times of seeing them, at least according to studies and my own personal experience.  If you are going to create one then my suggestion would be to have the Enter button available immediately rather than a fade-in effect after delay.

Yeah definitely makes sense