Game-Labs Forum

Dear Devs and Community,

After watching and re-watching the "Diplomacy Summit Stream", a few points caught my interest. One of these points in particular was raised by [EDR] Keirrip in regards to main fleets being entirely/partially screened from Port Battles in turn denying the player base the option to participate (or contest) in RvR. While I feel the owness should be on the attacker to make maximal effort to "win the day", I do believe that their is an issue in the game that allows smaller groups of frigates to engage considerably larger fleets of larger warships. My proposed Idea:

CORE BATTLE FLEET COMMANDER FLAG - Purchasable In Port, allows designated commander the ability to nominate 15 Warships as "CORE" giving them immunity from tagging.

THEORY: Two core battle fleets sail from neutral ports to the attacked port, the CORE fleets head straight to the port whilst the "Non CORE" fleet units must attempt to brave a potential blockade of screeners. Such tactics could be used like Counter Screening a Screening Fleet, Deploying Decoy Fleet units (Like awarded expendable Aggies etc.) to draw screeners etc.

N/B- There would obviously have to be BR adjustments before this could be possible and Defenders could no longer sail from within the "Attacked" port

THIS IS JUST AN (NOT FINISHED) IDEA AND I WOULD WELCOME ALL SUGGESTIONS

Kind Regards,

• Like 2

LOBBY PORT BATTLES, EASY.

no need tunings, join from every national ports, first minutes join who raised hostility , then every1 else.

for open world fanboy: go get ganked or gank in ow pvp event, we really need some balance system or lobby battle. stop timesink, exploit gank, log in log off, alts shits ecc...

• Like 3

Just now, TsaVolrae said:

No lobby please.   Please no lobby.  Lobby please no.  ?

this game was only lobby before u even know of the existance of naval action. was beautiful and balanced. then some noob asked for open world and problems begin to happen.

btw i dont want to turn off open world or rvr. im only asking for Port Battles Lobbies to solve the problems of this aspect of game. no other lobby , only port battles

• Like 2

Because magically teleporting to the contested port, circumventing all defences put there by the nation holding it because some carebears cried about getting screened is a ghastly solution to the mildly buggered ROE. It doesn't matter that sea trials was a lobby-based system. It needed to be to test basic combat mechanics at the time. This is meant to be an open-world game, not PotBS 2, not ye olde worlde of warshippes.

Edited by SirSamuelHood
  • Like 2

The proposal of this topic is pretty much an addition of mechanisms of mechanisms. A fleet can not be attacked, or whatever. Pure abstract things.

I think as Elite92, we had fun at the beginning, when the battles were balanced. When no presence of mechanisms (often strange and not understandable) did not allow abuse of them.

I seriously hope that the OW (and everything that revolves around it) should be reconsidered, reducing or eliminating entirely the mechanisms.

NB: it should be underlined that some have made the post, where they accused / insulting someone (not one of their groups course) to be joined with a smaller ship than expected. This should not be acceptable.
More freedom to play for all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rickard said:

NO if you want that go play WOWS !!!

stop suggesting a lobby system it wont help anythink

u should go play wows distinguished gentleman

write some ideas to solve OW problems and ROE problems, in meanwhile we can have fun in balanced fight in lobby, unimaginative fellow.

~ Special remarks have been replaced by alternatives ~ The Moderation Team

• Like 1

Perhaps this could be corrected with something similar to a battle rating for combat. I.e. if you are in a cutter, and have a battle rating of 30, you can only attack ships in groups of BR 60 or less. Basically you could tag 2 ships for every 1. That is still a 2 to 1 advantage. On the other hand, the nation that is receiving the griefing could include low level players by having them counter-grief. That could even be included as a form of low level PvP or a PvP intro where you receive a low level fast ship, at say Junior Lieutenant, and participate outside the port battle by having a bunch of small scale skirmish battles.

One cool take on this would just to be to make it historically accurate. Two fleets would meet in the OW and form up, then sail into the designated PvP zone around a certain port. Once inside the zone the two opposing fleets would vie for wind/tactical advantage, and then engage in an instanced PvP battle. So a port battle would begin by both fleets having a designated spawn point they would teleport to, and then sail into the OW together for the PB. Only a grouped fleet of equal size would be able to engage them due to BR rating and real world time saving. Once that instanced battle was decided the two fleets, or what was left, would scramble out of the area possibly under a truce timer of some form. Of course Pirates would sit there wait for the battle to end to gank any survivors, but historically the two fleets would reach some sort of surrender/prisoner exchange. The BR for fleets may be easier, but this could be a fun grief free concept also.    

Mind you Pierre that all ships are capable and fit different roles. There is no such thing as end-game ships unless you are strictly speaking of Port Battles themselves.

A custom made Cutter is not a Free Cutter and can give hell to way bigger ships. That's one of the points that separates newcomers from veterans - the longer you use a ship the more you learn its particular "quirks".

If I am not mistaken the present situation limits tagging by 4 times BR difference ( or is it 5x ?! ), so a 40 BR schooner, the Pickle, can hunt large trade vessels and even some cruise frigates.

Your suggestion will funnel a lot of playstyles, and speaking on my behalf my interest on the age of sail and particularly the west indies is focused on sloops, schooners and brigs not of the frigates and ships of the line. I already impose myself limits as I cannot hope to win two thirds of the engagements due to firepower or coastal defense support let alone if I am reduced to a mere 2x BR tagging... It means "death" for the 7th/6th rates.

One thing that has been requested by many is that Free Cutters are not allowed to tag players. In this I agree.

• Like 5